Manuel and the deep ball

Thirdborn

Really? He's been injured all year, and is the only guy I know of to school Revis so badly. Let's not get hasty.

I beg this forum to please stop with this lie and myth. Stevie had ONE game where he got open multiple times on Revis. Guess what, he didn't even break 100 yards and DROPPED the pass that ended the game in a loss for us.

I swear that one stupid game made a mythological lie out of Stevie as if he's dominated Revis regularly. It wasn't even that impressive of a game. It's just like the stupid Ravens game where Fitz threw 4 TDs and everyone anointed him the savior while ignoring the 2 ints in the 2nd half that pretty much gave the game back to Balt...also a loss.

One game does not make a career or establish a normality for a player. Stevie has been PWNED more often by Revis than Stevie has PWNED Revis...and it's not even close.

I like Stevie, but this urban legend around here is getting old because it is the number one thing anyone says in a response to anything critical of Stevie.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked that Manuel was a bit more aggressive than previous games, without taking too many dumb chances. A long bomb to a WR streaking past the safety is pretty low risk, but still has potential for a homerun. The perfect amount of aggressiveness imo. I just don't want to see him launching it into double/triple coverage down field, which he hasn't done so far (and thus his relatively low INT total). Yesterday's EJ is the EJ I was hoping to see this season and in the future. :thumbsup:

I beg this forum to please stop with this lie and myth. Stevie had ONE game where he got open multiple times on Revis. Guess what, he didn't even break 100 yards and DROPPED the pass that ended the game in a loss for us.

I swear that one stupid game made a mythological lie out of Stevie as if he's dominated Revis regularly. It wasn't even that impressive of a game. It's just like the stupid Ravens game where Fitz threw 4 TDs and everyone anointed him the savior while ignoring the 2 ints in the 2nd half that pretty much gave the game back to Balt...also a loss.

One game does not make a career or establish a normality for a player. Stevie has been PWNED more often by Revis than Stevie has PWNED Revis...and it's not even close.

I like Stevie, but this urban legend around here is getting old because it is the number one thing anyone says in a response to anything critical of Stevie.

I normally agree with your takes, but he has definitely had some success against Revis on a regular basis.

I won't recap it here since there's an open thread about it, but go check it out...

No no no no hell no. Manuel had a great day I thought hitting the slants and outs, largely due to the Jets DBs playing off so far (and Manuel and the WRs recognizing it). But that long ball was very horrifying. Manuel did not put the ball up for Graham to use his speed to run under it. He put up a jump ball into the wind that should never have been thrown, much less completed. Any competent DB is able to at least defend it or even intercept. Manuel deserves a lot of praise for his play yesterday, but not that particular one.

Saying no doesn't change my view. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Being too conservative has been holding EJ back.

Like it or not it was the exact right throw. He chucked up a jump ball to a fast athletic guy covered by a struggling rookie playing inside and worried about speed. Not a competent DB, it was a struggling rookie with no safety help.

I repeat NO SAFETY, ROOKIE DB trying to stay in front of his guy, all out blitz on EJ, no one open, no time to throw, third and long, out of field goal range.

I'd except Graham to win that match up every time.

If it's picked off, it's basically a punt. If it's broken up, bills have to punt anyway as they aren't likely attempting a 51 harder into the wind.

Kelly, Favre, Marino, Manning, Brees have ALL done it.

It wasn't horrifying it was promising.

I said this in another thread, but I really liked that play. EJ knew he had single coverage on the outside, it was an all-out blitz, and 3rd down (I think). Just throwing the ball up there was a clever move. At worst, it's a pick, and then probably no different than a punt.

I am certainly no turd-polisher, and I thought it was a great throw. He was about to get drilled, saw that the coverage was over-the-top and inside, and tossed up a prayer as far outside as he could. Graham tracked it and made a nice play.

I'll disagree with you. Actually the Jets completed a very similar play in this very game. He threw the ball, the wind grabbed the ball, the wr made an adjustment. More times than you realize do qbs throw balls up and let the reciever adjust to it. Specifically on deep balls. Was it a perfect pass in a perfect spot? No. It was however, a pass to a spot that his receiver could make a play on it.

If you guys think putting up a 100% jump ball is a good pass then we can agree to disagree. It reminded me of every deep ball Losman threw. It went up and then straight down like a punt (and no, I am not saying Manuel throws deep like Losman, just that one pass :) ). I don't know if the DB was looking at a Jills butt or whatever during that play instead of where he should have been looking, but it was lucky for Manuel that he was.

I stood up and yelled FINALLY! I did that when they QB sneaked for first downs and when they did a fb dive to score at the goal line too. It took them half the season but I'm glad they are finally listening to me

The QB snuck a 1st down and we FB rushed in a goal line stance?? (I actually did see the latter in highlights) Holy smokes that IS good news.

If you guys think putting up a 100% jump ball is a good pass then we can agree to disagree. It reminded me of every deep ball Losman threw. It went up and then straight down like a punt (and no, I am not saying Manuel throws deep like Losman, just that one pass :) ). I don't know if the DB was looking at a Jills butt or whatever during that play instead of where he should have been looking, but it was lucky for Manuel that he was.

Haha. I remember losman scrambling around for 5 seconds and then heaving a 60 yarder into quadruple coverage.... multiple times. Good times there.

Or he just hasn't played in weeks and after a poor but safe game they told him to open it up.

No, I saw the same thing in every game he played. Pulling the string, trying to guide the ball. He couldn't do that yesterday and the results were very positive.

"I think it sets a standard of what we're looking for," Marrone said of Manuel's performance. "When you really think about what he's faced, what that [Jets] defense has done to young quarterbacks, having seen them a second time around helped him quite a bit."

Manuel may now have his full complement of receivers back for his next game on Dec. 1 in Toronto.

"Now the expectation is that he has to go out and play like that every day," Marrone said. "And that's what we expect."

Saying no doesn't change my view. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Being too conservative has been holding EJ back.

Like it or not it was the exact right throw. He chucked up a jump ball to a fast athletic guy covered by a struggling rookie playing inside and worried about speed. Not a competent DB, it was a struggling rookie with no safety help.

I repeat NO SAFETY, ROOKIE DB trying to stay in front of his guy, all out blitz on EJ, no one open, no time to throw, third and long, out of field goal range.

I'd except Graham to win that match up every time.

If it's picked off, it's basically a punt. If it's broken up, bills have to punt anyway as they aren't likely attempting a 51 harder into the wind.

Kelly, Favre, Marino, Manning, Brees have ALL done it.

It wasn't horrifying it was promising.

Last week the guy was relentlessly checking down so I was glad to see him make a correct decision under duress. As mentioned, it was third down and being a high trajectory pass there was little chance of it being returned very far, it at all.

I stood up and yelled FINALLY! I did that when they QB sneaked for first downs and when they did a fb dive to score at the goal line too. It took them half the season but I'm glad they are finally listening to me

Me Too! I almost crapped myself when they didn't run on a first down. Screens, sneaks, reverses? Who are these guys?

What was funny is they had a chance at TWO of those Goodwin plays.......EJ lets it rip and the defender just shoves Goodwin out of bounds (which definately should have been a penalty) to keep him from flying under it and beating everyone.

Call those penalties ref.....the same thing happened in the Pitt game.

I thought the defender engaged him well within 5 yards. Where he went OOB was 6 or 7 yards from the line. Really not outrageous IMO.

I thought the defender engaged him well within 5 yards. Where he went OOB was 6 or 7 yards from the line. Really not outrageous IMO.

I watched the replay because I thought it was a PI during the game and upon review Cromartie gives him a final push out of bound at about 8 yards past the LOS. Not surprised they let it go but an established WR might get that call.