CJ Spiller

I said another thread that the league has him figured out. He will run wide

and out of bounds preferably to the left. The defenses are prepared for that

and his speed can!t compensate for it.

As for his ankle I believe was it Parcells who said if you are healthy enough

to put on a uniform and play, then perform.

I agree. He bounces it out every time. Totally regressed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who watched the game yesterday knows exactly why Spiller didn't get more carries. Everytime he touched the ball, he ran laterally and wound up getting virtually no positive yards. At least Fred was plowing ahead for 3 or 4 yards a pop. The problem is that the Steelers loaded up on the run with 8 or 9 guys in the box, and EJ Manuel was unable to get them to back off by completing (or hardly even attempting) any downfield passes.

I have been as annoyed with the often unimaginative play calling by Hackett as anyone, by I really think yesterday his hands were tied by a rusty and inexperienced rookie QB going up agianst a really good pass defense that was playing for pride after having been humilated the week before.

I got a kick out of how many Bills fans in the forum yesterday were calling for Manuel to be cut and for the Bills to invest a first round pick in April on a different QB. Guess what? Rookie QBs sometimes struggle. Heck, even veteran QBs sometimes struggle. Big Ben did not play much better. Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Romo all played poorly yesterday too. Guess what? Manuel will probably struggle again next week against another stout defense (the Jets). But eventually, he will get a shot at some softer competition -- and we will have 6 more games to see whether or not he evolves and gets better -- or if the gloom-and-doom crowd will be more happy to tell as at season's end that they were "right" than that our team may actually have a potential franchise QB.

Nicely stated.

Anyone who watched the game yesterday knows exactly why Spiller didn't get more carries. Everytime he touched the ball, he ran laterally and wound up getting virtually no positive yards. At least Fred was plowing ahead for 3 or 4 yards a pop. The problem is that the Steelers loaded up on the run with 8 or 9 guys in the box, and EJ Manuel was unable to get them to back off by completing (or hardly even attempting) any downfield passes.

I have been as annoyed with the often unimaginative play calling by Hackett as anyone, by I really think yesterday his hands were tied by a rusty and inexperienced rookie QB going up agianst a really good pass defense that was playing for pride after having been humilated the week before.

I got a kick out of how many Bills fans in the forum yesterday were calling for Manuel to be cut and for the Bills to invest a first round pick in April on a different QB. Guess what? Rookie QBs sometimes struggle. Heck, even veteran QBs sometimes struggle. Big Ben did not play much better. Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Romo all played poorly yesterday too. Guess what? Manuel will probably struggle again next week against another stout defense (the Jets). But eventually, he will get a shot at some softer competition -- and we will have 6 more games to see whether or not he evolves and gets better -- or if the gloom-and-doom crowd will be more happy to tell as at season's end that they were "right" than that our team may actually have a potential franchise QB.

thats why you need to get him carries and design creative plays for him to get in space. he is the best open field runner in the game--and he may actually break one.The bills offense didnt score at all yesterday(the 1st FG was a gimme by the D and the last TD was junk).Maybe they needed to run Spiller more.--But of course you need to run Freddie as well. The biggest problem underlying almost everything with this team is lack of QB.

I agree. He bounces it out every time. Totally regressed.

nonsense..hes been hurt and he doesnt have the right plays called

Trade him. Draft another bigger workhorse back. It`s not working.

I wouldn't trade him. With some creative play calling he is still a weapon. However, a bigger workhorse back should be a priority. Fred is getting old and will retire within a year or two. There should be a big back who can move the pile a few yards every time. Choice is ok, but he is not going to move the pile. Summers is in the same category as Easley: Big, strong, seems like a useful weapon to have, but for some reason he is not used. Go figure.

Spiller is average more YPC than Jackson. So if he's not "fighting for the extra yard," he's still getting it.

If you're facing 3rd and 1, who do you call on? Spiller and his higher YPC or Jackson? Spiller and his east-west preference or Jackson? Because if I'm in 1st and 10 and you get 5 yards it's not as valuable as gaining one on 3rd and 1.

Edited by BillsVet

Remember when Hackett got the job, how much he said he would run Spiller.

Well he has not because he is producing less and less. He can!t run straight

ahead to move the pile. He might bounce off someone to break it, or find a

hole big enough to put a boat through.. Everyone has basically figured out

how to defense his speed.

Besides, backs are interchangeable in the NFL. Most teams have a good, like the

Bills have had lately. A. Smith left and had success with the Pats. W. McGahee,

M. Lynch are a few of the late models the Bills have turned loose the past few

years. Finding a productive back is not a problem. Finding a top guy on defense,

at QB and the offensive line. Of couse if the Bills don!t want to pay the money

to a A.L. type that is another srory.

spiller is very much like sanders. very all or nothing. sanders was less of a football player than OJ because OJ could pound it.Sanders was spectacular but he would OFTEN get stopped in the backfield for losses or small gains. CJ is the best open field runner in the game right now. barry was among the top of his era.

CJ Spiller isn't the best anything right now. He can't find the hole to get to the open field. I do agree they might as well feed him and see what happens because they suck anyways. But let's not kid ourselves, he has shown very little other than how to get to the sidelines after 1 good play.

We pick on how many other draft picks not living up to their value? C'mon, CJ has yet to live up yet.

That is true. But he has shown he has the talent. His busting (the extent he is busting) is a shared responsibility. Probably more heavily leaning on the Bills.

If you're facing 3rd and 1, who do you call on? Spiller and his higher YPC or Jackson? Spiller and his east-west preference or Jackson? Because if I'm in 1st and 10 and you get 5 yards it's not as valuable as gaining one on 3rd and 1.

If it's 3rd and 1 I don't go in the shotgun. I use my big QB and fall forward.

I wouldn't trade him. With some creative play calling he is still a weapon. However, a bigger workhorse back should be a priority. Fred is getting old and will retire within a year or two. There should be a big back who can move the pile a few yards every time. Choice is ok, but he is not going to move the pile. Summers is in the same category as Easley: Big, strong, seems like a useful weapon to have, but for some reason he is not used. Go figure.

Maybe the only position the Bills seem set at and they need a workhorse back? This isn't 1980's football. How many workhorse backs are their in the league? If Marrone and Hackett can't find more ways to get the ball to their two best playmakers than they shouldn't get a 2nd year. Choice shouldn't see the field with a healthy Spiller and Jackson.

spiller is very much like sanders. very all or nothing. sanders was less of a football player than OJ because OJ could pound it.Sanders was spectacular but he would OFTEN get stopped in the backfield for losses or small gains. CJ is the best open field runner in the game right now. barry was among the top of his era.

There are plenty of excellent open field runners. Jamal Charles, CJ2K and of course....Adrian Peterseon. Are you really saying CJ is a better open field runner than those guys? If so, you don't watch much NFL football.

And CJ Spiller is not like Barry Sanders. Spiller is a straight ahead runner, Sanders was a one of a kind runner with unbelievable balance and agility. The ONLY thing they have in common is a lot of attempts for no gain or a loss.

Spiller is not an instinctive RB and never will be. He should have been traded for a TE, a WR, or a high draft pick. He is more of a track athlete than Goodwin is at this point.

And I think he has exericse induced asthma or a heart condition. Gailey was right. He gets winded. After even short runs he is very tachypneic. Just watch the game next week and look at his breathing compared to Jackson.

There are plenty of excellent open field runners. Jamal Charles, CJ2K and of course....Adrian Peterseon. Are you really saying CJ is a better open field runner than those guys? If so, you don't watch much NFL football.

And CJ Spiller is not like Barry Sanders. Spiller is a straight ahead runner, Sanders was a one of a kind runner with unbelievable balance and agility. The ONLY thing they have in common is a lot of attempts for no gain or a loss.

i say he the best open field runner.Yes. get him any kind of space--and he is the most dangerous. Spiller has great moves--he even faked a ton of KC players out of their jocks on a gimpy ankle.he averaged 6 yds per carry last year.-Im not saying he is Barry sanders--but hes close. Barry was more wildly shifty.--But Barry got stuffed at the line a helluvalot .

Last year Spiller was one of the best backs in the league, a rising star. This year he has yet to paly with any consistency. I ask everyone, has CJ changed? Or has the coaching staff changed? Where is the real problem?

Hackett is in over his head and the offense has suffered all season because of it.

Marrone even said as much last week when he said they had to get better at calling plays in the red zone. Did they this week?

Outside of not having a good QB on the roster, the single biggest problem facing this team is the coaching staff. Week in and week out, the defense is put in a position to succeed, to take advantage of their strengths. They don't always make the play, because some are rookies and they're still learning. Conversely, every week the offense is put in the worst possible positions for the talent on the field. Sometimes, they still make the play because of a blown coverage, or just good indiviual talent.

But, more often than not... our team is being out coached. So, rail on the players all you want, but everyone knows you don't stack the box and ask a RB like Spiller to dive up the middle. Everyone, but Hackett apparently. He's taken fairly productive palyers and continually managed to misuse them in the best ways.

Last year Spiller was one of the best backs in the league, a rising star. This year he has yet to paly with any consistency. I ask everyone, has CJ changed? Or has the coaching staff changed? Where is the real problem?

Hackett is in over his head and the offense has suffered all season because of it.

Marrone even said as much last week when he said they had to get better at calling plays in the red zone. Did they this week?

Outside of not having a good QB on the roster, the single biggest problem facing this team is the coaching staff. Week in and week out, the defense is put in a position to succeed, to take advantage of their strengths. They don't always make the play, because some are rookies and they're still learning. Conversely, every week the offense is put in the worst possible positions for the talent on the field. Sometimes, they still make the play because of a blown coverage, or just good indiviual talent.

But, more often than not... our team is being out coached. So, rail on the players all you want, but everyone knows you don't stack the box and ask a RB like Spiller to dive up the middle. Everyone, but Hackett apparently. He's taken fairly productive palyers and continually managed to misuse them in the best ways.

I do understand what you are saying, but imo the Bills have 2 major problems (and some smaller ones of course).

First and foremost is the quarterback issue. Everybody in the football world can see this a mile away.

The second is lack of production from prime draft picks (including CJ), many of whom were selected in the top 10.

Before he was carted of the field last night with an ankle injury, the short Tampa Bay running back (Mike James?) looked pretty good. Stats tell us that he too was being used as a situational player, and his numbers for the season are decent. Btw, he is a rookie 6th round pick, not a #9.

The Bills have 3 wins this season. How many position players (non-qbs) have taken over games? I count Mario Williams and Kiko. Perhaps I missed one. We need to draft game changing players. Hopefully 2013 was a start Dan. The production from our top choices has been unacceptable imo.

And btw so far, I am not a great fan of Hackett or Marrone, but this could change.

I said another thread that the league has him figured out. He will run wide

and out of bounds preferably to the left. The defenses are prepared for that

and his speed can!t compensate for it.

As for his ankle I believe was it Parcells who said if you are healthy enough

to put on a uniform and play, then perform.

Pretty much every play bar 1, I think was bounced to the left!

nonsense..hes been hurt and he doesnt have the right plays called

Right plays called? He is supposed to be a running back. They take handoffs as their primary way to get touches. Spiller can't/won't run straight ahead. He likes to bounce it outside instead. That worked for him in college, but this is the NFL. He has the capability to break the big plays. But more often than not he runs for little to no gain, or less. That's just what he is, not a workhorse north and south back like Fred or Lynch. Gailey had some success getting Spiller some space, but even he struggled to figure out ways to make that happen. And as far as I can tell, Gailey was a better OC than Hackett is, so far at least.