I think Stefan Charles is the next Wake..

D521646

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a straight up FU to Eugene Parker: we went out and got this guy so we don't have to play games with you and your guy (Carrington) next year.

Half kidding.

kj

No need to be kidding. All Bills fans see that one coming, and will be easier to see Carry walk if Charles pans out. Sad part is that whoever gets Carrington (if not us) will be getting a very fine football player who hasn't peaked yet IMO.

No need to be kidding. All Bills fans see that one coming, and will be easier to see Carry walk if Charles pans out. Sad part is that whoever gets Carrington (if not us) will be getting a very fine football player who hasn't peaked yet IMO.

Agree with all of this...Carrington was turning into a really good football player. Hopefully, Charles can make an impact (which from everything that people have said sounds like he might).

If Charles pans out . . . I think Whaley is the next Polian.

That's right. I said it. Knows exactly what he wants, and knows how to go and get it. I mean, who knew we needed another DE? (Well, some of us, and anyone who follows the Giants and Steelers model, but still.) Didnt see Nix nor Marv doing this: scouring other teams' practice squads even when we dont have a major injury to fill, and basically working weekly to improve the roster NOW.

And the groceries are very tasty.

Edited by maddenboy

He was on the field for three plays (from the 7' mark in the first QTR) and he had an impact in each and every one of them.

He tackled Charles at the LOS for a gain of a yard, he shed Albert's block.

He then pushed the LG into Smith but the QB completed the pass for a 1st down on a quick pass

and in the last one he had a tackle for loss, again against he LG.

Auspicious start for Charles, no doubt about it, we will see if he keeps momentum going.

That's right. I said it. Knows exactly what he wants, and knows how to go and get it. I mean, who knew we needed another DE? (Well, some of us, and anyone who follows the Giants and Steelers model, but still.) Didnt see Nix nor Marv doing this: scouring other teams' practice squads even when we dont have a major injury to fill, and basically working weekly to improve the roster NOW.

Kind of reminds me of the recent story about how the Bills got Tasker back in the 80s. We probably all attribute this great move to Polian, but it sounds like it was mostly luck and an astute but little-known TE coach:

As Tasker’s name popped up on the wire, it was noticed by the Bills tight end coach Joe Faragalli who was fired the year before with the losing regime in Houston.

“Joe didn’t have any love loss for the Houston Oilers, and he saw my name pop up on the waiver wire,” Tasker said. “He took my name down the hallway and said, ‘Marv, you said Monday if we had any ideas about special teams, we should let you know. I was on the staff last year in Houston and we drafted this kid Tasker. He can play special teams. He can kick return. He likes to cover kicks. He’s a good kid.’ Well, Marv didn’t know me from Adam. Come to find out he just shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘pick him up,’ and sure enough they did.”

The moral? Beats me. But I guess we don't know if this is really Whaley's work, or perhap some obscure DL coach.

Edited by Rubes

I don't see how he could be the next wake. Completely different story and different style of player. One is a pass rushing 43 DE/34 OLB. the other is a run stopping 34 DE/43 DT. One played college in the US and pro in canada the other college in Canada and pro in the US. Also the 10th pick in the cfl draft is the second round. Then there's the small sample size. 5 plays... I hope he turns into a good player however it's too early to say anything about this guy

I know he only played a few snaps Sunday against the chiefs, but this guy is about as stout as they come. I have family and friends (Being Canadian) that follow Canadian college sports pretty close and all of them told me that the Bills found a true diamond in the ruff.

You're not from Alberta, are you?

:)

From what I remember seeing from his college days in Regina: big and strong even for his size, never saw him get manhandled, extremely quick off the snap with nimble feet for a guy his size. On the downside has a tendency to keep his pad level too high and therefore can get stood up. The quickness is god given. The pad level can be coached out of him.

I have no idea how this will translate to the NFL level but he certainly deserves a hard look.

I think Whaley will have this team where we all want it to be in a year or two.

Agree with all of this...Carrington was turning into a really good football player. Hopefully, Charles can make an impact (which from everything that people have said sounds like he might).

At their anticipated prices really no reason you can't have both next year

buddy was a practice squad thief too. That's how he filled out RG, RT, and TE. All three are starters.

Or was pears a free agent?

Edited by JaxBills

buddy was a practice squad thief too. That's how he filled out RG, RT, and TE. All three are starters.

Or was pears a free agent?

Pears was a castoff FA pickup. Kind of a Legursky. Buddy did a great job filling roster spots with UDFA's, practice squad heists and street free agents. INITIALLY. That is part of the dynamic of a team changing coaches, schemes etc.. They usually have high draft picks and a lot of job openings which makes them more flexible in the personnel market. That is why you see teams like Rex's Jets and Andy Reid's Chiefs turn abysmal teams into contenders in year one of their regime. A sense of urgency is required and those teams had it.

I remember seeing somebody make a couple plays in the KC game and wondering who it was because I didn't recognie the number. It's pretty impressive that he could stand out that much after only playing five snaps.

We'll see...

A concern with him could be the gas/motor.....

He could be great for 10-15 plays that are spaced out but he may not be able to play 75%+ of the defensive snaps.