Gilmore: 0 yards given up per PFF

TPS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A. Gilmore is good and will only get better.

B. Brees knows this and went away from he for the majority of the day. Brees is smart. Why go after the one great CB the Bills have. Exploit the weakier areas. This is why Brees is so frustrating- he knows how to spread the ball around. It is like he used the first quarter plus to probe and figure out where the weak spots where. Then he went to work on them late in the second and in the third quarter. Peyton and Brees are so great together.

I also think it's worth pointing out that this coverage concept has worked well for Buffalo at times this season...if you can find a clip of Jimmy Leonhard's INT versus Cinci, Manny Lawson ran it to perfection, drilling the TE at the line. Dalton saw what he thought was edge pressure and threw to where the TE was supposed to be--Leonhard was in position and made the play.

This time, it was against a better QB with a lesser coverage LB in Hughes--and they got burned.

It also did not help that the Saints had an extra week to prepare and watch film, which I am sure helped them to spot the defensive set-up and take advantage.

On another play he tried to grab a guy but missed and the Saint ran around him and caught the football. Not sure he didn't give up any yards.

If it's the one I remember, where Gilmore clearly should have been called for pass interference, I don't think the receiver caught it. Dierdork couldn't believe he wasn't flagged on the play.

If it's the one I remember, where Gilmore clearly should have been called for pass interference, I don't think the receiver caught it. Dierdork couldn't believe he wasn't flagged on the play.

You are correct...the ball was overthrown by about 15 yards (due in part to Gilmore's obstruction of the WR). Sometimes it's nice to have a guy that's been "anointed" by the league as a top-tier cover guy; he seems to get the same benefit that the officials give to the Revises and Shermans of the world now.

Was that the play where they threw a flag but then picked it up? I think that flag was just incase Robey made the pick that they could call it back. Robey didn't make it so they didn't call it.

Was that the play where they threw a flag but then picked it up? I think that flag was just incase Robey made the pick that they could call it back. Robey didn't make it so they didn't call it.

You got that right.

Hughes took responsibility for the receiver being wide open. He said it was his man by the design of the defense, but he got caught peeking in the backfield at the QB and lost coverage on Stills. Seems to me it was a poor coverage design from the beginning since Hughes should NEVER be matched up on a WR.

The goal is to create confusion and get to the QB quickly. if the guys who actually rush do not get there quickly, the coverage is exposed. It is a risky defense that is designed not to defend against but to BLOW UP offenses... this is what Pettine and LeBeau and Ryan do.. If you don't like it we can go back to Wannstedt's high school defense where everyone has appropriate coverages (SS takes the TE, two corners and 3 traditional LBs and 4 lineman who do all the rushing... and get killed. ) Choose your poison.. can't have it both ways.

The goal is to create confusion and get to the QB quickly. if the guys who actually rush do not get there quickly, the coverage is exposed. It is a risky defense that is designed not to defend against but to BLOW UP offenses... this is what Pettine and LeBeau and Ryan do.. If you don't like it we can go back to Wannstedt's high school defense where everyone has appropriate coverages (SS takes the TE, two corners and 3 traditional LBs and 4 lineman who do all the rushing... and get killed. ) Choose your poison.. can't have it both ways.

Thank you thank you... You get it. I don't think people read my posts but I don't care... but you sir, get it.

There's absolutely no reason to give Hughes any coverage responsibility on a WR in the base 4-3-3 defense on 2nd down and 10 no matter how aggressive Pettine's scheme may be. It's a recipe for disaster and the choice of either sitting back passively or all out aggression/confusion is a false choice.

post-1597-0-24124600-1383082474_thumb.jpg

The point of the defense is to get pressure on the QB so the LB only needs to stay with the receiver on short throws/hot reads. the failure of the play was not getting the QB pressure when the play was designed to do.

In that defense, I'm not ever asking Jerry Hughes to cover a WR. Coverage is a major weakness of his and if the Bills continue to do this with him, they'll be burned again. Put him on a TE comparable to Scott Chandler or Lee Smith...now that I can live with.

Can somebody please start a separate thread on the Hughes play? It seems to have hijacked this thread somewhat.

To be honest, I am far more interested in hearing peoples thoughts on Gilmore and the associated stat than discussion about one individual play(call).

... the Hughes play ...

The Hughes play I liked was actually last week vs Fish. On that play where Mario got the strip sack recovered by Kyle that helped us to win the game, watch Hughes. There is one shot from behind him. He runs in and literally picks up the Fish RB and throws him into Tannehill. It's amazing. A beastly play.

Exactly. Sometimes aggressive play backfires.

A couple weeks ago, the Bengals caught us on a corner blitz by Robey - hit the WR on a screen and he went 40+ yards.

Can somebody please start a separate thread on the Hughes play? It seems to have hijacked this thread somewhat.

To be honest, I am far more interested in hearing peoples thoughts on Gilmore and the associated stat than discussion about one individual play(call).

I found it amazing that some were criticizing Gilmore for his not so great play as a one-armed man. A healthy Gilmore and Byrd will allow Pettine to incorporate more of his play book.

I really think this team is poised to turn the ship around, and it starts this Sunday! Marrone is feeling it too, if you saw his Monday Presser.

Edited by TPS

I really question all this stuff. All I hear is how Gilmore is a shutdown corner, McKelvin is paying great, Robey is an underrated steal, Bryd is one of the best FS safeties in the game and Williams has found a home at strong safety. Yet the Bills secondary just gave up 332 yards passing and 5 TD in the last game and is ranked 24th in pass defense in the NFL. And it's not because of the pass rush because the Bills got a lot of pressure on Brees and have been getting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs in general. So what gives? Just a massive run of bad luck? I think some of these players are being vastly overrated and Gilmore is at the top of the list.

Edited by vincec