Gilmore: 0 yards given up per PFF

TPS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have said it for a long time now......Gilmore is poised to be one of, if not the very best, corner we have ever had on this team. He is only going to get better. Although, it is hard to improve on 0 yards given up. Maybe he can throw in a pick or 2 next time! HA!

Regardless.....he is going to be dominant for a very long time.

I'm pretty sure he blew the coverage on the TD pass that Jerry Hughes tried to chase down. I'm really curious as to what was coached for that play because that defense was a complete failure.

He was playing Graham man to man. I thought it was a screw up at first, too. But after looking at it a few times it's pretty obvious. And then hearing Marrone lament putting Hughes in that position in the first place, I was convinced. We've seen Lawson on that same coverage this season. Hughes just flubbed it at the snap. Ironically, had he been in his coverage right away, I'm not sure he couldn't have stayed with the guy.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm pretty sure he blew the coverage on the TD pass that Jerry Hughes tried to chase down. I'm really curious as to what was coached for that play because that defense was a complete failure.

On another play he tried to grab a guy but missed and the Saint ran around him and caught the football. Not sure he didn't give up any yards.

I noticed that as well...it was pretty obvious watching the game that Brees knew which DBs he'd rather target and which to avoid.

Just watching Gilmore over the last half of 2012, it was apparent that he was going to be a very good CB...it appears that he's getting up to speed after his injury now as well, allowing zero receptions in 2 out of the 3 games in which he's played.

If he can keep hiccups like the 2 he had against Miami from happening, he'll be a top 5 cover man.

Hughes took responsibility for the receiver being wide open. He said it was his man by the design of the defense, but he got caught peeking in the backfield at the QB and lost coverage on Stills. Seems to me it was a poor coverage design from the beginning since Hughes should NEVER be matched up on a WR.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He was playing Graham man to man. I thought it was a screw up at first, too. But after looking at it a few times it's pretty obvious. And then hearing Marrone lament putting Hughes in that position in the first place, I was convinced. We've seen Lawson on that same coverage this season. Hughes just flubbed it at the snap. Ironically, had he been in his coverage right away, I'm not sure he couldn't have stayed with the guy.

GO BILLS!!!

Hughes too responsibility for the receiver being wide open. He said it was his man by the design of the defense, but he got caught peeking in the backfield at the QB and lost coverage on Stills. Seems to me it was a poor coverage design from the beginning since Hughes should NEVER be matched up on a WR.

Marrone said in his press conference that the coverage was designed for Hughes.

Hughes too responsibility for the receiver being wide open. He said it was his man by the design of the defense, but he got caught peeking in the backfield at the QB and lost coverage on Stills. Seems to me it was a poor coverage design from the beginning since Hughes should NEVER be matched up on a WR.

Logically, that makes sense. But we've seen Lawson in that coverage this year and, if Hughes hadn't taken that misstep, based on his pursuit, I think he has the speed to stay with Stills on that route.

GO BILLS!!!

Gilmore had man coverage on the play and chased his man toward the middle of the field. Brees read it and took advantage.

I also think it's worth pointing out that this coverage concept has worked well for Buffalo at times this season...if you can find a clip of Jimmy Leonhard's INT versus Cinci, Manny Lawson ran it to perfection, drilling the TE at the line. Dalton saw what he thought was edge pressure and threw to where the TE was supposed to be--Leonhard was in position and made the play.

This time, it was against a better QB with a lesser coverage LB in Hughes--and they got burned.

Logically, that makes sense. But we've seen Lawson in that coverage this year and, if Hughes hadn't taken that misstep, based on his pursuit, I think he has the speed to stay with Stills on that route.

GO BILLS!!!

There's no way Hughes has the speed to run with Stills...no way!!! Lawson would certainly be better, but it's still not a good match up for a LB. Hughes was also abused by Jimmy Graham for a TD. The guy should be used as a pass rusher to put him in the best position to succeed rather than asking him to do something (coverage) that's a weakness in his game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I noticed that as well...it was pretty obvious watching the game that Brees knew which DBs he'd rather target and which to avoid.

Just watching Gilmore over the last half of 2012, it was apparent that he was going to be a very good CB...it appears that he's getting up to speed after his injury now as well, allowing zero receptions in 2 out of the 3 games in which he's played.

If he can keep hiccups like the 2 he had against Miami from happening, he'll be a top 5 cover man.

Yeah it looked like Brees was going after Robey a lot on Sunday.

It's good to have Gilmore back without that cast on his hand, and I'm hopeful that we shall see a lot more good things from him the rest of the season.

There's no way Hughes has the speed to run with Stills...no way!!! Lawson would certainly be better, but it's still not a good match up for a LB. Hughes was also abused by Jimmy Graham for a TD. The guy should be used as a pass rusher to put him in the best position to succeed rather than asking him to do something (coverage) that's a weakness in his game.

I don't know. Hughes was tracking him down in his pursuit and that's after he gave Stills a head start. At the very least, it would have been interesting to see had he not made those first two steps toward the backfield vs. dropping into coverage immediately. That's not to say Hughes is a good coverage guy waiting to be discovered, just that his speed surprised me.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree...poor design to have a LB on a WR, but I was shocked that the WR was not pulling away from Hughes the way one would expect...

Some are missing part (the implied part) of the whole explanation - As Coach Marrone had mentioned, yes Hughes was responsible for the man in this particular scheme. Every scheme you can possibly come up with has it's strengths and it's areas of exposure. What the Play/scheme counts on in this case is that the QB doesn't get to that read in time to react and get the ball out before being grounded by the pass rush. It's a calculated risk. Manny is also better in coverage than Hughes but neither of these guys are gonna hang with a speedy Wr. This is a normal thing in every defensive scheme. In this case it didn't help us that Brees is a master at reading the field and the coverage and our rush didn't get to him in time.