Why Does Everyone Love Pettine So Much?

Storm Front

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense has been a little more fun to watch at times, but it isn't much better than it was last year. Discuss.

They've kept us in a lot of games...considering they have been on the field way to much, our secondary was whipped out, and we need some more help at linebacker they've been decent.

I agree with you to a point. They are not a dominant defense but I can say that at least this season we have at least a shot to stop them. Before it was just 11 guys getting blocked and run over. This year, they hit back

This sums it up pretty well.....in hindsight. :thumbsup:

Put last years o with this years d, and the d is a top 10 unit. For one, the d would be on the field much less.

We average 13 yards less than we did last year. But turnovers are a killer.

And if you don't think this defense is much better than last year, you aren't paying attention. They are finally getting healthy. If they don't turn into a very good unit in the 2nd half of the season, then you need to worry. But there are plenty of good signs if you chose to look at them.

Our defense has been a little more fun to watch at times, but it isn't much better than it was last year. Discuss.

Really ? . . . of all the topics, you pick on the defense ?

You can see a difference in the play of specific players, i.e. McKelvin, Mario, Dareus, Aaron Williams -- they played several games with 3, sometimes 4 backups in the secondary --- I would say the defense is on the verge of being very good -- i.e. Top 10 --- check out advanced stats, they rank them 6th --- in reality, I'd put them in the middle, somewhere between 15-20 --- with the injuries --- in addition, the offense constantly puts them into tough situations ---

Besides the Cincy and Jets game, I think they've been the far superior unit and the one that has produced the 3 wins we have ---

Look somewhere else on the team to complain --- I'll suggest a few more pressing areas; Hackett, QB play, O Line, Brandon, no #1 WR --- chew on that before you take on the defense ---

We average 13 yards less than we did last year. But turnovers are a killer.

And if you don't think this defense is much better than last year, you aren't paying attention. They are finally getting healthy. If they don't turn into a very good unit in the 2nd half of the season, then you need to worry. But there are plenty of good signs if you chose to look at them.

The key stat IMO is total plays. I am willing to bet our defense is in the top 5 of total plays faced. a lot of that is due to poor TOP and 3 and outs by the offense. If you face more plays, probably going to give up more yards.

In any event, the D is vastly improved. All you have to do us watch them play to know that.

Better than last years debacle. At least Pettine has them on the right course.

So saying that are better than one of the worst defenses in team history doesn't say much. Sure they are getting sacks and INT's, something they didn't get last year. However they are at the bottom of the league in most other categories.

Having Hughes cover deep threat WR's and the best TE in football doesn't help much.

Pettine's defense has certainly been more fun to watch, but he has been far from a savior.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So saying that are better than one of the worst defenses in team history doesn't say much. Sure they are getting sacks and INT's, something they didn't get last year. However they are at the bottom of the league in most other categories. The bottom line is they aren't getting results.

Having Hughes cover deep threat WR's and the best TE and football doesn't help much.

Pettine's defense has certainly been more fun to watch, but he has been no miracle worker.

It could be argued that having Byrd and Gilmore might swing the NE and Jets games.

We have a rookie and practice squad QB, and up until yesterday, had a shot to win each game in the 4th quarter. Another good sign of good coaching is getting the most out of your talent. Mario, Dareus, McKelvin, Robey, Leonhard, Alonso are some of the players having career years.

The defense is the only reason this team is competitive week in and week out. it's the only reason we won 3 games. Pettines scheme is very good.

Advanced NFL stats has the Bills D ranked 11 IN THE NFL. This is based off several metrics.