Why Does Everyone Love Pettine So Much?

Storm Front

One penalty led to a negated INT, which led to a TD.--7 points

One penalty on a third down gave them an extra first, led to a TD, should have been a field goal--4 points

First touchdown came from the SECOND chance at a very short field--7 points.

18 points were the difference in this game.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week in and week out the Bills D plays at an elite level but there is 2-4 big plays that overshadow their overall performance.

One penalty on a third down gave them an extra first, led to a TD, should have been a field goal--4 points

Brees had like 8 possessions starting at the 40 or better because the offense was putting the special teams and defense in such poor field position. In that context the D was very good yesterday.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm a fan of his coaching style. He's always fired up and in your face. He is a motivator. Then there is Marrone that stands there and doesn't do anything. I think Pettine is a defensive genius and Marrone isn't a genius at anything. If it came down to Pettine walking to take another HC job I hope they offer it to him here first

I'm a fan of his coaching style. He's always fired up and in your face. He is a motivator. Then there is Marrone that stands there and doesn't do anything. I think Pettine is a defensive genius and Marrone isn't a genius at anything. If it came down to Pettine walking to take another HC job I hope they offer it to him here first

Thats sort of my opinion as well. I think the "change" the people are talking about with the Bills. "How they look different" , "not getting blown out" is a direct result of Mike Pettine and the defense. IMO Marrone is getting credit and riding off the coattails of Pettine.

Up to this point Marrone has been worse at in-gamangement than Jauron, Mularkey, Williams and Gailey.

?

I haven't seen a single shot of Pettine being fired up on the side lines, on TV. So we are criticising Marrone because he's not yelling and geting red in the face in the TV shots you've seen on him during a game? That's ridiculous.

Stat wise the teams appear to be very similar on paper, and that is as far as it goes.

This years defense has heart, has a scheme, has play makers. They have a DC that knows what he is doing, and can get the most out of his players. This years team has Kiko at LBer. The Bills were leading the NFL in tackles up until last week. They were +5 in turnover ratio. They have a pass rush that can really bring the heat. Super Mario is playing like superman with 11 sacks.

Last year it was an embarrassment to be a Bills fan! This year is completely different.

It might take another year or so to build a playoff defense. The difference this year is now I have faith they can get it done with Pettine.

I can't think of a single time I saw Pettine fired up. Most shots of him he has the play calling sheet in front of his face with no expression.

I agree with you to a point. They are not a dominant defense but I can say that at least this season we have at least a shot to stop them. Before it was just 11 guys getting blocked and run over. This year, they hit back

I think they are dominant for awhile, but not for 60 minutes. And it changes. Like on the new England game, they were pretty strong in the 2nd half and wishy washy in the 1st. The saints game was the opposite. They were dominant in the beginning and then fizzled out.

I think they are still looking for an identity on both sides of the ball. Both sides have improved on 3rd down which makes me think they will get better, and with better qb play this is a playoff team. I don't expect special teams to improve at all though. Lots of talent, but stubborn coaching

I see a defense that is fundamentally different from last year's, stats be damned. They swarm. They hit hard. They tackle well. They pressure the QB, cause a lot of negative plays, cause a decent amount of fumbles, have come in clutch in two games, and are tops in interceptions.

A big problem has been a few big plays given up every game, and the fact that the offense more often than not can't stay on the field. Once the offense ticks, this D will too.

This defense just feels right. They are on the verge of being elite.

Stat wise the teams appear to be very similar on paper, and that is as far as it goes.

This years defense has heart, has a scheme, has play makers. They have a DC that knows what he is doing, and can get the most out of his players. This years team has Kiko at LBer. The Bills were leading the NFL in tackles up until last week. They were +5 in turnover ratio. They have a pass rush that can really bring the heat. Super Mario is playing like superman with 11 sacks.

Last year it was an embarrassment to be a Bills fan! This year is completely different.

It might take another year or so to build a playoff defense. The difference this year is now I have faith they can get it done with Pettine.

Stats wise they do? You should take a look at those stats side by side.

Our defense has been a little more fun to watch at times, but it isn't much better than it was last year. Discuss.

They love him "because of what he did for the Jets."

Of course no one actually looks at what he did for the Jets, namely take them from 1st to 20th in D, but everyone had to convince themselves that Marrone knows his stuff so they made stuff up.

Sorry there's no better answer, but that's the truth.

The defense is the only reason this team is competitive week in and week out. it's the only reason we won 3 games. Pettines scheme is very good.

Advanced NFL stats has the Bills D ranked 11 IN THE NFL. This is based off several metrics.

They're currently ranked 25th in points allowed and that's what really matters. Most of these new "metrics" sites merely post extemporaneous stats w/o tying them together in any meaningful way.

Either way, the team is allowing 26.6 points per game right now, whereas last year they allowed 27.2, not a significant difference and the talent is indisputably better this year. Kiko alone has been huge.

Edited by TaskersGhost

?

I haven't seen a single shot of Pettine being fired up on the side lines, on TV. So we are criticising Marrone because he's not yelling and geting red in the face in the TV shots you've seen on him during a game? That's ridiculous.

I'm mostly criticizing Marrone for not being an offensive or defensive genius AND I don't prefer his coaching style. Pettine is going to get head coaching offers if not this year then next. It's going to happen. Are we going to let him leave? He's the best coach on this team

Exactly. They were not over-matched in that game, especially given the fact they are lead by someone who came off the PS a couple weeks ago. The Saints are in the top 3 (I believe) in D points allowed. This team is on the verge...and a win this Sunday could launch them.

Exactly. They were not over-matched in that game, especially given the fact they are lead by someone who came off the PS a couple weeks ago. The Saints are in the top 3 (I believe) in D points allowed. This team is on the verge...and a win this Sunday could launch them.

The Niners game last year, the Bears game in 2006, the home Jets game in 2010 (the last game I went to)-- these are games that come to mind when I think of games in which we never had a prayer. Yesterday, in spite of the fact of having a rookie coaching staff and a third string PS quarterback, doesn't feel the same way.

Also, this year's 3-5 feels MUCH different than when were 3-5 after the Texans game last year, doesn't it?

The Niners game last year, the Bears game in 2006, the home Jets game in 2010 (the last game I went to)-- these are games that come to mind when I think of games in which we never had a prayer. Yesterday, in spite of the fact of having a rookie coaching staff and a third string PS quarterback, doesn't feel the same way.

Also, this year's 3-5 feels MUCH different than when were 3-5 after the Texans game last year, doesn't it?

It really does. At one point yesterday before Thad's INT it was 28 to 17. If we had scored on that drive (and we were moving the ball on them all day) it would have been a 4 point game in the 4th quarter. The coaching staff impresses me week after week. One thing I can say for them is they are always prepared to play. With the injuries we've had, that is damn impressive

They love him "because of what he did for the Jets."

Of course no one actually looks at what he did for the Jets, namely take them from 1st to 20th in D, but everyone had to convince themselves that Marrone knows his stuff so they made stuff up.

Sorry there's no better answer, but that's the truth.

They're currently ranked 25th in points allowed and that's what really matters. Most of these new "metrics" sites merely post extemporaneous stats w/o tying them together in any meaningful way.

Either way, the team is allowing 26.6 points per game right now, whereas last year they allowed 27.2, not a significant difference and the talent is indisputably better this year. Kiko alone has been huge.

> They're currently ranked 25th in points allowed and that's what really matters.

This stat is misleading. The Bills have a no-huddle offense. To make matters worse, our offense has a lot of three-and-outs. Together, these two facts mean that our offense is much worse than average at chewing up the clock. The worse an offense is at eating the clock, the more possessions your defense will face; and the worse its per-game stats will look. (Through no fault of its own.)

It's much more accurate to look at the defense's per play or per-drive stats; because these are not distorted by the no-huddle. Our yards allowed per running play stat is much better this year than it was this time last year.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Brees knew he had a free play on that INT. The facemask was obvious and blatant, and if you think it's going to get called, you force it into the end zone because you have nothing to lose. Consequently, I hardly think that the INT was "negated" by a penalty.

> They're currently ranked 25th in points allowed and that's what really matters.

This stat is misleading. The Bills have a no-huddle offense. To make matters worse, our offense has a lot of three-and-outs. Together, these two facts mean that our offense is much worse than average at chewing up the clock. The worse an offense is at eating the clock, the more possessions your defense will face; and the worse its per-game stats will look. (Through no fault of its own.)

It's much more accurate to look at the defense's per play or per-drive stats; because these are not distorted by the no-huddle. Our yards allowed per running play stat is much better this year than it was this time last year.

I've been hearing for a while how great this defense is. The fact of the matter is that they were SHREDDED yesterday. Sure, they stopped the Saints early, but it's a four-quarter game and for most of it they were being picked apart. They have yet to have a game in which they've given up fewer than 20 points.