Vic Carrucci: Bills fans will be pleasantly suprised with Thad Lewis..

Big Turk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Looks like slightly better pocket awareness than EJ, and throws into tight coverage (could be good or bad), but also like EJ looks to his first option w/o going through his progression and gets his receivers killed. I think he will be a good replacement for EJ. I don't see him being a step backwards at all based on this one game sample.

If he is playing better than EJ and we are winning games with a chance at the playoffs - then NO DOUBT you definitely leave in Thad Lewis.

Re-open the QB competition in next year's training camp.

It's fun to think about, but I seriously doubt this will happen. I went back and looked at the 4th preseason game and watched his throws. His accuracy is dreadful.

Said he got the start in the last game of the year against Pittsburgh, the #1 rated D in the NFL and played pretty well with only a few days notice(2 or 3) to prepare.

Said he was decisive, made good throws and has a good enough arm to make any throw. He said he would not be suprised if he does a lot better than what people expect while Manuel is out.

That brings me to a bigger point: What if Lewis comes in and we go say 4-2 or 5-2 with Manuel out and in the thick of the playoff hunt playing well? Does EJ automatically get his job back? If its like anything else with this staff I would think he would have to wait til Lewis screws up...

Not saying this is going to happen, but it is not out of the question that our run game and D take over and help us win, especially since the D is healthier than its been all year...

Could be an interesting decision Marrone has to make if Lewis plays well

That would be a great problem to have.

If he is playing better than EJ and we are winning games with a chance at the playoffs - then NO DOUBT you definitely leave in Thad Lewis.

It's fun to think about, but I seriously doubt this will happen. I went back and looked at the 4th preseason game and watched his throws. His accuracy is dreadful.

That doesn't even count, he was here 2 days and had no idea what was going on

If Lewis plays better than Manuel he should keep the job. I remember a no name guy who came off the bench b/c of injury, played well, & kept the job over the high pedigree starter he came in for. His name was Tom Brady.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but this post made me LOL. Bravo.

I agree he won't beat out EJ - but grading Lewis (or Leinart for that matter) harshly based on half a preseason game after ONE DAY OF PRACTICE is kind of ridiculous.

Thad and Matt both probably had trouble remembering which jerseys were their team! :rolleyes:

That was a really nice baseball slide.

If Thad Lewis does nothing but teach EJ Manuel how to baseball slide the Bills will be in a much bette place.

Clearly QB Baseball slide is not being practiced enough.

Last year's game he started...

I like the zip on the ball.

Much better than the Rainbows Tuel was throwing.

BTW anyone else notice how after one of the throws Wood © was talking to Tuel and he was making a Rainbow hand motion then making a straight line hand motion?

It seemed like he was saying don't throw the ball like this (Rainbow hand motion), throw the ball like this (Straight line hand motion)???

Anyone else see that?

Edited by Why So Serious?

EJ will be the starter i do not care how Thad looks.

He is a back up. And he is not Tom Brady for crying out loud. Ask yourself this, where you the same people who thought Tuel would give EJ a run for the starting comp?

Guys, i hope Thad comes in and plays his butt off and the team rallies around him and the Bills win every game 100-0. But EJ is the now and future of the team.

We just got done trying to make a back up in a starter with Ryan *hitspatrick! Let us not try to polish another turd and hope he turns out to be the next Brady!!

That would be a great problem to have.

Exactly...

It would be nice to know we've got the QB position locked down for a couple years...I know that's a stretch not knowing how Lewis will perform, and not seeing enough of EJ yet to make a complete decision...But it is possible EJ and Lewis could be the near-future at QB for the Bills...I do have a feeling this kid can be a decent back-up if given the opportunity...One thing is certain...He's light years ahead of Tuel at this point in time... B-)

You don't think learning 15 plays in two days and throwing to guys whose names he didn't even know played a part in any of that?

My biggest concern is that he appears to lock on to his primary receiver. If people complained about that with EJ, I'm afraid it'll be almost unbearable with Thad. But he's still a better option than Tuel right now.

From the two videos, all I can tell is that he's quick, runs well, has a fairly live arm, and does reasonably well with the short-to-medium throws. His longer-range accuracy is a little suspect, and he makes some head scratching throws every now and then.

It will take him time to become comfortable in the offense, and he'll turn the ball over a few times. But he'll probably do well enough to make the games interesting, although unlikely we win many unless the defense really picks it up.

quite the opposite actually...he looked horrid here until the last throw to easley

Yes because he should have looked good coming in two days before the game having no idea what the plays were or who he was throwing to...

Tuel has no excuses, he has been here since the beginning