Vic Carrucci: Bills fans will be pleasantly suprised with Thad Lewis..

Big Turk

From the two videos, all I can tell is that he's quick, runs well, has a fairly live arm, and does reasonably well with the short-to-medium throws. His longer-range accuracy is a little suspect, and he makes some head scratching throws every now and then.

It will take him time to become comfortable in the offense, and he'll turn the ball over a few times. But he'll probably do well enough to make the games interesting, although unlikely we win many unless the defense really picks it up.

Good assessment (which everything after "suspect" could have been written with or without seeing any video)

The Defense and Special Teams are going to have to score in order for the Bills to win.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the regular season, he looked like an improved version of what I saw in the Lions game. He completed a lot of 5 - 10 yard passes, but seemed to struggle with accuracy when the distance was much beyond 10 yards. The shorter passes he completed were usually to stationary targets; rather than hitting moving targets in stride. The Steelers didn't give him as many opportunities to showcase his wheels as did the Lions.

If he becomes a better player than EJ, that would say a lot more about EJ than it would about him.

From the two videos, all I can tell is that he's quick, runs well, has a fairly live arm, and does reasonably well with the short-to-medium throws. His longer-range accuracy is a little suspect, and he makes some head scratching throws every now and then.

It will take him time to become comfortable in the offense, and he'll turn the ball over a few times. But he'll probably do well enough to make the games interesting, although unlikely we win many unless the defense really picks it up.

Yeah Rubes. Looks like he actually throws better on the move than dropping straight back. Real nice zip on the ball. Has a penchant for hanging receivers out to dry with throws in tough spots. Read option a real threat.

Actually since he is with the Browns its based on two years of watching him in person

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Lewis has started 1 NFL game. By watching him for two years, do you mean preseason and practices? Because if so, that's speculation. Preseason and practice is not game-day. Ask Tuel.

For some of the short passes, like in the flat, I noticed one one occasion the RB was just standing around, not really engaged or aware of what he is doing. Some of those turnovers that game wouldn't happen if the receivers hold on to the ball. There was one that went off the guy's chest and he barely made an effort seemingly because he wasn't ready. I like what I saw from that video of the Steelers game. One thing is for sure. This guy takes some nasty hits, he's a tough guy. I agree on the similarities to Fitzy. He seems to thrive when plays break down, and is very accurate while on the move. It could be exciting to watch. Guess we will find out on Sunday, guys! Here's hoping we pull this one out!

Lot's of inaccurate throws vs. Detroit but a lot of that was due to timing w/ receivers he's never played with. Let's hope when they devise a gameplan for Cinci, we see the best of Thad Lewis. One thing for sure...he can slide like a MoFo. Excellent sliding techinique!

call me crazy: but from thad's detroit video i gather that he's a very very similiar player to fitz.

Can't hit the short easy passes.

Stronger arm than fitz

can run, will run

faster than fitz

...hm...

Bigger picture. In the Pittsburgh video Lad Thewis doesn't look like aBrohmination style QBing.

Bottom line you play the best player regardless of where he was drafted and who you drafted. If he is better, find a trade partner for EJ next offseason. Or he is the backup.

+1. Coach Marrone has always said that the best player gets to play. If Thad goes 4-2 in the next six weeks, he has earned it.

+1. Coach Marrone has always said that the best player gets to play. If Thad goes 4-2 in the next six weeks, he has earned it.

If Thad goes 4-2 over the next six weeks it would be the biggest story in the NFL. There's just no way it's gonna happen unless the D and special teams play at a ridiculously high level and chip in a few TD's along the way.

If Thad goes 4-2 over the next six weeks it would be the biggest story in the NFL. There's just no way it's gonna happen unless the D and special teams play at a ridiculously high level and chip in a few TD's along the way.

Much stranger things have happened.

Bigger picture. In the Pittsburgh video Lad Thewis doesn't look like aBrohmination style QBing.

No. Not even close, actually. He kinda wings it a bit, but he was only with the Bills for like 5 hours before that Lions game, and his throws looked much sharper (though still not great) against Pittsburgh.

But like Fitz, he's not afraid to go up the middle, and he's not afraid to beat you with his legs. Unlike Fitz, he's got some very nice pop on the ball, and I'd actually call him "fast."

The real problem (if you want to call it that) is if Thad doesn't play better than EJ but the team starts winning because the D is finally full strength. Then what do the Bills do? Put EJ back in or keep playing Lewis because the team has been winning with him at the helm?

It would be Flutie/Johnson 2.0

The real problem (if you want to call it that) is if Thad doesn't play better than EJ but the team starts winning because the D is finally full strength. Then what do the Bills do? Put EJ back in or keep playing Lewis because the team has been winning with him at the helm?

It would be Flutie/Johnson 2.0

I'd expect our professional coaches to understand that the team had been winning in spite of Thad.

Something interesting to also point out.....

In last years game for the Browns....I dont get the sense that offensive scheme is nearly as good as the ones the bills employ with the read option as far as suiting his abilities......

He looked to be mostly a drop back passer and the Steelers D was really coming after him....one way to get them to stop pinning their ears back is to actually allow a QB to run with the ball......if they bring the house like that on pass rush then containment breaks down....opening up a QB run or a WR to break free downfield.......

If they decide to stack the box? He appears to have the arm to make any throw.....

He played for the Rams last year.....looked really good and mobile in preseason. They cut him. He's a great athlete with a strong arm. It's a matter of instinct and what is between the ears. As it is with any quarterback. People like Rob Johnson, big arm, fast, absolutely no feel for the game. Frozen in space.

But Lewis might rise to the occasion. Would not surprise me either way. It's a home game, so he's got that going for him.

Something interesting to also point out.....

In last years game for the Browns....I dont get the sense that offensive scheme is nearly as good as the ones the bills employ with the read option as far as suiting his abilities......

He looked to be mostly a drop back passer and the Steelers D was really coming after him....one way to get them to stop pinning their ears back is to actually allow a QB to run with the ball......if they bring the house like that on pass rush then containment breaks down....opening up a QB run or a WR to break free downfield.......

If they decide to stack the box? He appears to have the arm to make any throw.....

so you're saying he's like Russell Wilson? :D

actually I was thinking the same thing...the read option should be interesting.

Unlike preseason, when they may have wanted to see if he could throw the ball....the will likely employ a heavy run game. If you think the Bills staff was conservative in calling plays for EJ...wait till this weekend. Instead of run, run, pass. It will be run, run, run.