Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

Game 2 of their careers: Manuel throws for nearly 300 yards and leads a comeback victory. Smith completes 43% of his passes and throws 3 INTs. This thread wasn't made.

Honestly, a lot of fans have the mindset of a 13 year old girl. Everything that just happened is the worst/ best. Whatever happened to patience? Bottomline, EJ Manuel is a rookie and hasn't been here for 13 years. It's so sad that a negative thread like this gets more attention than a positive one about Kiko or Woods. This is kinda sums up current America as well. Folks love the negative.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous? Really? So far this season we've seen Geno engineer to game winning drives. Also in head to head matchup, he totally outplayed EJ. Seems to me that Geno is progressing much faster than EJ.

I must have missed all the plays where EJ and Geno went "head to head". Yes, lots of ridiculous statements here, but I guess we'll need to endure it after every Jets win for the next five years or so.

Geno has no fear of throwing the bal down the field and also throws much harder than our girly arm guy. Smith looks like a gun slinger to me. Our guy looks hesiotant, that being said Geno has a much better offense they run even withoiut any NFL receivers...Once again we took the wrong guy.

Who exactly are EJ Manuels "NFL" receivers? Jets WR corps is better than ours, bottom line. Woods is a promising rookie. TJ Graham is a joke. Stevie is looking kinda overrated the last 2 years. Jets get way more open and play way more physically than our guys. That jumps off the screen at you much more than Geno at this point.

Right, now EJ is "dumb". How about he was just overly aggressive and competitive there? A young guy's mistake. For some reason I'd bet EJ Manuel is more accomplished academically than you. By all accounts, this kid is no dummy. Give me a break. He took a cheap shot and is paying the price. The "dumb" guy was the idiot standing over him taunting.

lol. me dumb but me walk on sidewalk not on road when car coming my way. so me smarter than ej

Who exactly are EJ Manuels "NFL" receivers? Jets WR corps is better than ours, bottom line. Woods is a promising rookie. TJ Graham is a joke. Stevie is looking kinda overrated the last 2 years. Jets get way more open and play way more physically than our guys. That jumps off the screen at you much more than Geno at this point.

The Jets receivers stink. The difference is coaching. Ryan isn't afraid to let his rookie QB throw downfield and make his share of mistakes. Marrone is.

Geno Smith is barely clinging to his starting job. The only things saving him are his defense, and playing against the Falcon's secondary. Has he shown more arm talent, in spurts, than EJ has shown us? Yes. Do I wish we had taken Geno over EJ? No. Have some patience. The turds will sink to the bottom sooner than later.

+1

The Jets receivers stink. The difference is coaching. Ryan isn't afraid to let his rookie QB throw downfield and make his share of mistakes. Marrone is.

But this is the part of the game where Geno is clearly ahead of EJ, so the Jets coaches feel better about Geno winging it.

IF EJ had Geno's touch on the long ball, we wouldn't be having this discussion ...

... because there's no way that EJ makes it out of the top 3 draft picks.

C'mon, man Santonio is a SuperBowl MVP, stretches fields, and to my recollection, performs quite well against us. Jets receivers aren't amazing, but they certainly don't stink. Oakland's receivers stink save for Denarius Moore. Tennessee's receivers stink

C'mon, man Santonio is a SuperBowl MVP, stretches fields, and to my recollection, performs quite well against us. Jets receivers aren't amazing, but they certainly don't stink. Oakland's receivers stink save for Denarius Moore. Tennessee's receivers stink

Jets WR are horrible man. Santonio is 25% of what he used to be, not to mention that he has barely played this season (including not playing yesterday). Ask a Jets fan what they think of stone hands Hill. SJ is better than any of their WR right now. And Woods is well on his way to being better than any of their WR as well. Chandler is serviceable and Freddy/CJ are worlds apart from what they got at RB. Bills Offense personnel > Jets Offense personnel. Like other have mentioned, however, we have an OC that has been quite unimpressive with his creativity thus far - which is obviously a major factor in how the offense looks.

I think, as one poster said, Gino will end up being like Cutler, etc. A streaky passer. I think he will probably have another error prone game against the Steelers next week. That said, I think EJ has the potential to be a more consistent QB along the lines of a Matt Ryan. Unfortunately, he is loosing developmental time with an injury. Who knows, perhaps Thad turns out to be the next Brady (minus the diva-ness).

Jets WR are horrible man. Santonio is 25% of what he used to be, not to mention that he has barely played this season (including not playing yesterday). Ask a Jets fan what they think of stone hands Hill. SJ is better than any of their WR right now. And Woods is well on his way to being better than any of their WR as well. Chandler is serviceable and Freddy/CJ are worlds apart from what they got at RB. Bills Offense personnel > Jets Offense personnel. Like other have mentioned, however, we have an OC that has been quite unimpressive with his creativity thus far - which is obviously a major factor in how the offense looks.

Whoa, bro, I never said the Jets receivers were better than ours. Nor was I even coming close to comparing theres to ours. I agree with you our offensive personnel are solid and as a whole our offense is better than the Jets. I was simply saying that yes while the Jets receivers do drop balls a LOT, when they are on, they do play well and are opportunistic as was proven when they torched our injury plagued secondary. I also like chandler, but I would still like us to draft a stud TE who can block and run quick routes like a receiver. Imagine having a guy like Jimmy Graham on our offense in addition to everything we have.

I also agree with you that our OC is incompetent and I'm wondering why Marrone brought him along to the NFL. He went out and hired a proven guy on defense but then brings up this 30 yr old who has no experience facing NFL defenses. Couple that with the fact that this young upstart is hampering Manuel's development by not letting him play and making him fit to his scheme.

and which approach is best? depends on the player and coach.

While i agree i think that at some point it is going to take EJ saying to Hackett we need to open it up more, i am ready. The jets OC seems to realize Geno's strengths and weakness' and is trying to optimize and minimize both. Hackett is using the ,bringing a guy along very slow approach,. Granted EJ is playing verse sitting but i hope what we have seen so far is not indicative of the entire play book Hackett and Marrone use.

Marrone/Hackett. Manning and Aikman were able to learn from making mistakes. I also understand that Marrone thinks he has a team that can make playoffs this year, but we are looking to the future. When Manuel comes back they have to let him "rip"

EJ's a BUST! Trade him for picks! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this is sarcastic, or not. But, quite frankly, what kind of pick would ANY NFL team give us for him? Having played a total of six games in the NFL, he has sustained two knee injuries. He's going to have a lot to prove when he comes back.