Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

Yeah, really! Put Geno on this team and we're 0-5. Conversely, EJ in NY and they're likely 5-0 and in 1st place all alone in the division. Agreed that he outplayed EJ heads up; however, you can put an * next to that given that Rogers had an absolute meltdown. If I remember corectly, his stats when he threw away from rogers were like 7-20 for 50 yrds and a pick.

EJ's happy feet and rushed throws are coachable and will improve with time and confidence, when and if Hackett shows some trust to let the kid go out there and play. Unfortunately, we won't be able to see that this year. In Geno's case, you can't coach stupid and Geno isn't the brightest bulb now, is he? Last night, Morningwheg (sp) showed how to call a game for a rookie against a bad secondary that sat in a soft zone all game...big whoop!

If I end up being wrong on this, fine...i'll gladly eat my words.

Easily the most ridiculous post in this thread.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time will tell, but Manuel was taken with the 16th pick and Smith was taken with the 39th pick. Who got better value? If both players are equally successful in the NFL then the Jets got better value.

More competent organizations than the Bills had Manuel on their board between the 3rd and 5th round. The manuel pick was never about value to begin with.

Time will tell, but Manuel was taken with the 16th pick and Smith was taken with the 39th pick. Who got better value? If both players are equally successful in the NFL then the Jets got better value.

Not really...10 years from now nobody is going to care where either player was taken if they both pan out. Even if they did look at value, shouldn't it also be factored in that Buffalo got an extra 2nd rounder that turned into TheLegendofKikoAlonso?

Atlanta stinks, before you put Geno in the Pro-Bowl, compare his stats against other QB"s who played Atlanta. As you can see there pass defense is non existant.

Week one, Brees 26comp. 56att. 357 yards 2 TDS 1 Int.

Week two, Bradford, 32comp 55att 352 yards 3 TDS 1 Int.

week three, Tannyhill 24comp. 35att. 236 yards 2 TDS 1 Int.

Week four Brady 20comp. 31att. 316 yards 2 TDS 0 Ints.

Atlanta stinks, before you put Geno in the Pro-Bowl, compare his stats against other QB"s who played Atlanta. As you can see there pass defense is non existant.

Week one, Brees 26comp. 56att. 357 yards 2 TDS 1 Int.

Week two, Bradford, 32comp 55att 352 yards 3 TDS 1 Int.

week three, Tannyhill 24comp. 35att. 236 yards 2 TDS 1 Int.

Week four Brady 20comp. 31att. 316 yards 2 TDS 0 Ints.

Good point. However, to counter: 3 of those 4 teams are thriving on the pass this season compared to the run (dolphins, saints, rams) and the 4th team is Brady. You could also argue that Geno's numbers yesterday were better than Brady's and Brees' vs. the Falcons, which is impressive any way you slice it. Fact is, you can't simply say "the falcons suck" and dismiss Geno's performance. It was Monday Night, in Atlanta, and a game that the falcons DESPERATELY needed. And Geno carved them up with who at WR?

Good point. However, to counter: 3 of those 4 teams are thriving on the pass this season compared to the run (dolphins, saints, rams) and the 4th team is Brady. You could also argue that Geno's numbers yesterday were better than Brady's and Brees' vs. the Falcons, which is impressive any way you slice it. Fact is, you can't simply say "the falcons suck" and dismiss Geno's performance. It was Monday Night, in Atlanta, and a game that the falcons DESPERATELY needed. And Geno carved them up with who at WR?

I guess the Patriots should drafted Geno? LOL

I'm basing it off the body of work.

It's a small sample but Smith showing he can make the throws down field...EJ not so much EJ injury prone..

It also begs the question about Hackett, Smith is outplaying EJ with MUCH less weapons at his disposal. Could part of the problem be Hacketts poor scheme?

I'll give you EJ's propensity for injury so early in his career is definitely a worry I have. I also think a large part of the problem is Hackett, so far I'm not all that impressed with the offensive scheme considering the weapons we have.

Because Geno has only looked good in one game (last night's), maybe two if you count the Bills with a devastated secondary, I would still take EJ. However, I would trade Hackett for Morniwheg (sp) any day of the week.

WHO exactly is going to work out his mechanics besides Hackett, who hasn't developed JACK for a QB in the NFL... Tuel? Lewis? Ohh, that's right... we don't have an experienced veteran to help him through all of it. Yeah...

W.T.F.?????

Hackett is the OC, not the QB coach.

You forgot to mention Buffalo? :D

Working with less, Smith is playing better, showing a more accurate arm. Smith is also gaining experience while Manuel is sitting on the bench.

I can't stress it enough how the injury problem is a big concern with EJ going forward.

Injuries happen. It's not like EJ tripped on his shoelace. BTW why do you and others think GS has "less" to work with. I'd say Hill (always kicks our a$$), Holmes and Kerley are pretty good and I'd probably swap them for any of our WR's right now except for Woods. Their TE's are also more athletic than ours as Chandler is not explosive and Lee Smith did trip over his own shoes. Maybe our "weapons" are overrated? Geno certainly has a better staff and a very punishing D (better than ours). He some nice passes whwn he had time> No different than EJ. GS has more to work with IMO.

I can't believe this is a thread. Really?

Typical overreaction thread. Classic Bills fan stuff. There are things to question right now, but is this even a thread if Smith takes a sure 3 pts in 1st half? Or if Jets don't have an excellent D line that just blows up the run make a goal line stand? Probably not. If Falcons win in closing seconds, no one is talking about Geno except that he bounced back from an awful game and executed a smart game plan. The criticism should be that Manuel always seems to have to OVERCOME the offensive game plan.

Actually, he's wearing both hats.

My mistake. Now I AM concerned for Manuel's development. A crappy OC and probably not much better QB coach. Can't have much of a resume of great QB's he's developed. This was the one hire I hated by Marrone as not quite ready for an NFL OC job. I have yet to see differently.

I don't get the injury prone comment... What player wouldn't have gotten injured from that hit in Cleveland? It's not like he's brittle, he got injured on a play that 99% of players would get hurt.

Part of being injury prone is being too dumb to go out of bounds once you've run for the first down.

And even then, lots of players would've instinctively positioned their body better to protect themselves upon impact.

Some players know how to fall and take a hit. Other players have two knee injuries that cause them to miss time through a measly 5 games.

My mistake. Now I AM concerned for Manuel's development. A crappy OC and probably not much better QB coach. Can't have much of a resume of great QB's he's developed. This was the one hire I hated by Marrone as not quite ready for an NFL OC job. I have yet to see differently.

I don't think Hackett is "crappy"...I think he's doing some good things (committing to the run--the team does have the No. 3 rushing offense) and some not-so-good things (too predictable in some cases). I think, like Manuel, he'll get better as he gains experience. I also think that Manuel's deficiencies can be coached up rather easily...he simply needs to learn to set his feet consistently; not the stuff you need a QB guru to fix.

In his press conference, Marrone made it a point to mention how Seattle brought Russell Wilson along.

He mentioned that for the first 8 games, they just used him as a game manager then opened things up once he got used to the speed of the game.

Sounds like this might have been their plan with EJ. Speculation of course.

I'd rather have EJ and Marty Mornhinweg.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Exactly!!!

EJ will be the better pro then Smith i have no doubt in my mind. Barring injuries Smith is another Sanchez, Fitz, etc...a streaky guy who when on is on and when off, wow!

Smith has looked good against teams whith bad/banged up secondaries. he has looked awful agianst good D's. I have now watched 4 of Smiths games and every one of Manuels'. The difference is the Jets have a very good OC while the Bills are hoping Hackett turns into one. End of story.

No. I think the Bills picked the right QB. I think what you are seeing is the difference between Marrone in Buffalo and Ryan in NY* (NJ). Marrone is in his first year and I don't think there is expectations of playoffs for the Bills this year. They are getting Manuel's confidence up and building experience with the play calling. The Jets are in the opposite boat. Ryan is on the hot seat. He has to win now, not next year. He is forced to let Smith throw long balls and take chances. Smith is doing a good job, but down the road, I think the Bills plans will play out better then what the Jets are doing. If Ryan get fired this year or next, Smith will go through the coach carousel. I think the Bills made the right pick and we will see the difference down the road.

Part of being injury prone is being too dumb to go out of bounds once you've run for the first down.

And even then, lots of players would've instinctively positioned their body better to protect themselves upon impact.

Some players know how to fall and take a hit. Other players have two knee injuries that cause them to miss time through a measly 5 games.

Right, now EJ is "dumb". How about he was just overly aggressive and competitive there? A young guy's mistake. For some reason I'd bet EJ Manuel is more accomplished academically than you. By all accounts, this kid is no dummy. Give me a break. He took a cheap shot and is paying the price. The "dumb" guy was the idiot standing over him taunting.