Ryan Fitzpatrick to start

Buffalos#1Fan

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he still stinks

@RapSheet

Speaks volumes RT @jwyattsports: QB Jake Locker's passer rating in his four starts: 99.0. Ryan Fitzpatrick's passer rating this season: 61.2

I rather enjoyed (in a morbid kind of way) watching Fitz yesterday. Fitz throws over the leaping WR's head - boom, an INT.

Later, he did one of those patented empty hand throws. Hey at least that one can't be intercepted!

He still wears that guilty hangdog expression after he screws up.

Nice man, great guy, but not a good QB.

I hate this thread. Fitz was a class act. We should all be rooting hard for this guy, not monitoring how poorly he plays.

I agree that he's a class act. If you look at my earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that a) I'm rooting for the guy, and b) that I think he'll fail.

I can see wanting to de-emphasize b) out of respect to Fitz. After all, he's a good guy. On the other hand, there were plenty of people around here who'd greatly overestimated his football ability. Over the years, I've heard plenty about how Fitz could supposedly be the long-term answer at starter; and about how he was supposedly a top-10 QB. Some people even compared his yardage totals and passer rating to Jim Kelly's; and pointed out they were fairly similar. They concluded--falsely--that Fitz was playing at or near a Kelly level.

The truth was that Fitz's annual yardage total was inflated by pass-happy play calling. His QB rating was inflated by his tendency to prefer short, high percentage passes. But his yards per attempt wasn't even close to Kelly's; correctly indicating that his level of play wasn't Kelly-like either.

If all of us here could agree that Fitz is a nice guy and a mediocre QB, there would be less temptation to criticize his play.

I agree that he's a class act. If you look at my earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that a) I'm rooting for the guy, and b) that I think he'll fail.

I can see wanting to de-emphasize b) out of respect to Fitz. After all, he's a good guy. On the other hand, there were plenty of people around here who'd greatly overestimated his football ability. Over the years, I've heard plenty about how Fitz could supposedly be the long-term answer at starter; and about how he was supposedly a top-10 QB. Some people even compared his yardage totals and passer rating to Jim Kelly's; and pointed out they were fairly similar. They concluded--falsely--that Fitz was playing at or near a Kelly level.

The truth was that Fitz's annual yardage total was inflated by pass-happy play calling. His QB rating was inflated by his tendency to prefer short, high percentage passes. But his yards per attempt wasn't even close to Kelly's; correctly indicating that his level of play wasn't Kelly-like either.

If all of us here could agree that Fitz is a nice guy and a mediocre QB, there would be less temptation to criticize his play.

I am okay with that approach. But at this point and with everything we went through with Fitz, I think one would have to be delusional to compare him to Kelly.

I think what you got from a lot of people--myself included-- was just a lot of hope that he would work out. He was a great guy; he had a handful of really nice games (including the NE and Oakland comebacks); and we were all hopeful that we could win with him. As Red said in "The Shawshank Redemption," "Hope is a dangerous thing. It can drive a man insane." I think it drove some people to the edge of delusion. But now that the dust has settled, I would hope we could all agree that Fitz is a good back-up and nothing more, and wish him all the best.

Yup. Would have been interesting to see what Gailey could have done with a top QB talent

people really have to get off of that cause...gailey was a lousy head coach well beyond the qb issue. he should design plays for an OC---and then let the OC run them and manage clock etc etc--and stay way away from the football field.

people really have to get off of that cause...gailey was a lousy head coach well beyond the qb issue. he should design plays for an OC---and then let the OC run them and manage clock etc etc--and stay way away from the football field.

I dont disagree with you. Just saying it would have been interesting to see what he could have done. It was the right move to fire him. Far to often the entire team was unprepared to play

• 4 weeks later...