Ryan Fitzpatrick to start

Buffalos#1Fan

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot that's wrong with this paragraph.

Fitz's "few good games" were the equivalent of almost a full season. The "shiny new contract" was essentially two 3-year deals that would pay him mid-level starter's money and bridge the gap until they drafted and developed their franchise guy; the Bills never believed Fitz was a long-term answer. It is unfortunate that the timing of Fitz's regression came shortly after the new deal, but even then his performance was not significantly worse than what he was doing before; he simply made more mistakes in crunch time and the team around him (particularly the defense) couldn't keep anyone out of the endzone.

Make no mistake, Fitz would have been the perfect backup for Buffalo this year had Buddy not embarrassed himself on the prank call with Tampa's GM. That call hurt Fitz's pride and he (rightfully) decided he didn't want to stay in Buffalo.

Put Fitz at QB for the Bills' first 10 games this year, and I'd bet a lot of $$ their record would be 6-4 or better.

> There's a lot that's wrong with this paragraph.

You forget to whom you're speaking! :P

> Fitz's "few good games" were the equivalent of almost a full season.

That's going pretty far. I remember that at one point, the Bills were 5-2 or something, and Fitz had pretty decent stats. I think he was averaging 7.1 yards per attempt. By the end of the season that average had declined to 6.7 yards per attempt. Both in terms of statistics and the eyeball test, his performance in the second half of the season was significantly worse than what he'd achieved early on.

> The "shiny new contract" was essentially two 3-year deals that would pay him mid-level starter's money

Agreed. But mid-level starter's money is considerably more than what a QB of Fitz's caliber should receive. After the Bills released him, no GM was interested in signing him as anything other than a backup, at backup QB money.

> Put Fitz at QB for the Bills' first 10 games this year, and I'd bet a lot of $$ their record would be 6-4 or better.

Agreed. I don't have a very high opinion of Fitz's QB ability; but even I have to admit that he'd be a significant step up from what we've had this year.

4 times on the final two drives.

Yeah, pretty much what I said...

Classic Fitz, doesn't attempt to throw a pass over 10 yards in the air until they're down 2 scores and the other team is in a prevent defense.

I'll admit I was wrong about calling him "Classic Fitz," as that would entail him throwing a 4th quarter pick.