Pink Flags

Prickly Pete

I don't know if this has been discussed, but the pink penalty flags aren't just silly and unnecessary, they are confusing. There are all these guys with pink towels on their uniforms, and I swear there were times when they were on the field and I couldn't tell if it was a thrown flag or just a guy's towel.

The NFL certainly wouldn't allow players to have yellow towels, so why do they have to go with overkill and have the penalty flags pink? We all get the idea when we see all the other pink items.

Agreed 100%. Lets get the pink football out there for next Sunday.

I'm not against the whole concept, but it's not anymore effective having the flags be pink. I saw that it's some kind of Roger Goodell public relations grab "An 11 year old boy wrote a letter asking the NFL to change the flags to pink, and Goodell thought it was a great idea."

But it's not, it's just a publicity grab for the commissioner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/11-old-boy-convinced-nfl-pink-penalty-flags-183137397--nfl.html

I definitely was not a fan of the pink flags... It's bad enough we have to wear pink 5 games this year. How much more pink do they want to add?

We get it. We all feel that Breast Cancer Awareness is a positive way to assure women that they aren't alone in the fight, but a simple pink ribbon on the helmets, jerseys and sidelines can also show support.

I definitely was not a fan of the pink flags... It's bad enough we have to wear pink 5 games this year. How much more pink do they want to add?

We get it. We all feel that Breast Cancer Awareness is a positive way to assure women that they aren't alone in the fight, but a simple pink ribbon on the helmets, jerseys and sidelines can also show support.

+1

And for one game a year, not a whole month

No complaints on the pink flags here. I've known too many with cancer, including breast cancer.

Honestly I think the flag color should be something that no team has in its uniform. If I watch the Steelers or Packers I think there are flags on almost every play because I'm used to looking for a yellow flash.

Keep in mind the NFL doesn't and shouldn't care if we the viewing audience can't tell if its a flag or a towel, as long as the refs & players know what is what...

Yeah because it's not about the fans at all. Well at least for followers of the only NFL franchise in WNY. I don't think it's been about them for years.

I bet if that pink flag raised $500 in an auction and that money went toward a cure for a disease your loved one was dying from ... it wouldn't bother you as much.

There's a hell of a lot more on the line than confused viewers.

Get over it.

I bet if that pink flag raised $500 in an auction and that money went toward a cure for a disease your loved one was dying from ... it wouldn't bother you as much.

Get over it.

Ill have to agree here. i dont know why people are making a huge deal about this. If it does not effect the game then why does it matter?

differentiating between flags and towels has NOTHING to do with fan involvement, if there is a penalty, the ref will let us know, if a player drops a towel, he'll pick it up and play and life will resume...if they wanted us to have that much involvement in the game, we'd hear the huddle conversations...this really should be a non-issue

Yeah because it's not about the fans at all. Well at least for followers of the only NFL franchise in WNY. I don't think it's been about them for years.

Keep in mind the NFL doesn't and shouldn't care if we the viewing audience can't tell if its a flag or a towel, as long as the refs & players know what is what...

The NFL should, and probably does, care if the audience can tell if it's a flag or a towel. Knowing that a flag was thrown is part of the viewing experience. Not being able to tell if it's a flag or a towel or some other random flash of pink detracts from the viewing experience and is annoying to me.

However, the NFL is run by very smart people who are phenomenal marketers. They didn't decide to use pink flags all willy-nilly like. In fact, I would argue that the NFL loves being part of conversations like these. If we're not talking about the game, we're talking about the flags. I'm sure that the NFL raises a ton of money for breast cancer research and has helped many people. However, their decision to make Breast Cancer Awareness their signature cause was about marketing and it was a genius decision. They are raising money in the most visible, public way possible...in a way that wouldn't be possible if the cause was prostate cancer, heart disease or autism. On one level it endears the NFL to women, an area of huge growth potential. On another level, men love boobs.

The pink flags further the conversation and increase the NFL's connection to the cause. As much as they annoyed me last night, unless they hinder game play, they're probably here for October.

I did see a towel on the ground last night and I thought it was a flag. It took nearly 9 seconds for me to have to wait to make sure whether it was, indeed, a flag or a towel.

That's potentially 8 million viewers who had to endure the same grueling 9 seconds. The math has too many digits for me to figure out, but let me tell you ... that's a lot of time.

I was 9 seconds late for work this morning because of that damned towel.

I did see a towel on the ground last night and I thought it was a flag. It took nearly 9 seconds for me to have to wait to make sure whether it was, indeed, a flag or a towel.

That's potentially 8 million viewers who had to endure the same grueling 9 seconds. The math has too many digits for me to figure out, but let me tell you ... that's a lot of time.

I was 9 seconds late for work this morning because of that damned towel.

but why even create those in the first place?

How about pink for two weeks and light blue for two weeks? Light blue is the color for prostate cancer. About as many men get prostate cancer as women get breast cancer, but a lot more money goes to breast cancer research. The Safeways in my area do both.

Edited by Wacka

personally i'd rather try and safe the women than men..they are much hotter :devil:

How about pink for two weeks and light blue for two weeks? Light blue is the color for prostate cancer. About as many men get prostate cancer as women get breast cancer, but a lot more money goes to breast cancer research. The Safeways in my area do both.

Mother's Day>Father's Day

Dear Mama (Tupac)>Wetter (Twista, female on hook says, Can you be my daddy?)

Women will always win the attention battle...

Get over it.

I am 100% behind them raising money and awareness. The uniforms are fine, and actually clever and cool ( sometimes). They can paint the stadiums pink, and I will applaud them.

I'm also aware of an undercurrent of "let's appeal to the female demographic". The cause is worthy enough to let it slide, but it is there. .

There's no shortage of pink NFL items to auction, and pink penalty flags aren't going to be some kind of deal breaker ("no penalty flags? that's it, I'm keeping my money!").

No one is claiming that football is more important than cancer, and like everyone here, I have plenty of close relatives that have suffered. My Mom just grew her hair back. I haven't spoken to her yet, but no doubt as she watched the game last night, at some point she said " These pink penalty flags are confusing to me. It's like 20 flags flying around on the field. I think there is a penalty every play".

There is a point where it becomes grandstanding, and "more pink" doesn't equal "more dollars", or more awareness. That point has arrived.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I agree, and my mom also had breast cancer.

Both my parents had probably 4-5 cancers between them.

Yet, I really wish that a lot of this cancer research would go into Alzheimer's research instead. We all have to die sometime. But, we are living so long now that we are going to have an unbearable amount of people with dementia.

I am much more about quality of life than quantity.

I agree, and my mom also had breast cancer.

Both my parents had probably 4-5 cancers between them.

Yet, I really wish that a lot of this cancer research would go into Alzheimer's research instead. We all have to die sometime. But, we are living so long now that we are going to have an unbearable amount of people with dementia.

I am much more about quality of life than quantity.

Mom, her 2 sisters, grandma, mother-in law...

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, or act like "football is everything, cancer is getting in the way". I just don't think pink flags are having any effect except making the viewer edgy about penalties while trying to watch the game. I don't think that was the intent of the League. And while some didn't notice, obviously I wasn't alone.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

That was the dumbest **** I've ever seen. I hate the pink crap. Why don't they all wear brown to support prostrate cancer. Stupid NFL.

Go ahead and laugh but supporting prostate cancer awareness would make so much more sense. The NFL audience is mostly male and prostate cancer kills more men than breast cancer does women.

Go ahead and laugh but supporting prostate cancer awareness would make so much more sense. The NFL audience is mostly male and prostate cancer kills more men than breast cancer does women.

It boggles my mind that people view this as a competition. Seriously? Cancer spreads. The insensitivity and ignorance of some people in this so called civilized society we live in makes me sick.

Sorry it's an inconvenience for you people while others are losing their loved ones and hoping there is a cure someday.

Karma is a real mother !@#$er.

It boggles my mind that people view this as a competition. Seriously? Cancer spreads. The insensitivity and ignorance of some people in this so called civilized society we live in makes me sick.

Sorry it's an inconvenience for you people while others are losing their loved ones and hoping there is a cure someday.

Karma is a real mother !@#$er.

You need to relax you are way over reacting or mis reading my intent.

The NFL should focus on men's health issues since more than 75% of their audience is men, and men are more reluctant or ignorant on prostate health then women on breast health, they should also promote prostate cancer awareness.

It wasn't a competition but an observation.

Prostate cancer awareness gets very little attention. Everyone know about breast cancer and the pink ribbons.

I'm not being insensitive because I've had breast cancer in my family on loved ones.

The NFL should focus on men's health issues since more than 75% of their audience is men, and men are more reluctant or ignorant on prostate health then women on breast health, they should also promote prostate cancer awareness.

Prostate cancer awareness gets very little attention. Everyone know about breast cancer and the pink ribbons.

I'm not being insensitive because I've had breast cancer in my family on loved ones.

Well if you're going to base it on the NFL audience they should do a alcohol abuse awareness month. :D

I understand and I apologize for jumping to conclusions. This is a heavy topic.

However, although breast cancer awareness is far greater than that of prostate cancer awareness, the statistics speak loudly and clearly that breast cancer is, by far, the greater threat.

Believe me. I wish there could be more focus on Crohn's Disease and Huntington's Disease (two killers that are affecting my sister and cousin, respectively) as well as ovarian cancer, which is currently killing my aunt (the mother of the cousin with Huntington's Disease).

My point is simply this ... I'm sure the NFL didn't want to choose just one disease, but they likely had to. I honestly don't know. But breast cancer, while more curable today than ever, is still killing people in droves. The thirds highest death rate (Lung and Colon are 1 and 2).

I'm just happy that there are ways for a business as big as the NFL to help gain awareness and money toward research for a cure for at least one disease.

Again ... I apologize for saying you were insensitive.

yea but that isnt good marketing.

I understand and I apologize for jumping to conclusions. This is a heavy topic.

However, although breast cancer awareness is far greater than that of prostate cancer awareness, the statistics speak loudly and clearly that breast cancer is, by far, the greater threat.

Believe me. I wish there could be more focus on Crohn's Disease and Huntington's Disease (two killers that are affecting my sister and cousin, respectively) as well as ovarian cancer, which is currently killing my aunt (the mother of the cousin with Huntington's Disease).

My point is simply this ... I'm sure the NFL didn't want to choose just one disease, but they likely had to. I honestly don't know. But breast cancer, while more curable today than ever, is still killing people in droves. The thirds highest death rate (Lung and Colon are 1 and 2).

I'm just happy that there are ways for a business as big as the NFL to help gain awareness and money toward research for a cure for at least one disease.

Again ... I apologize for saying you were insensitive.

the nfl chose a widely popular, generally nonoffensive, womens ailment as an attempt to reach out and sell pink gear to women. prostate cancer month doesnt give them any boost, although it likely would do much more for "awareness" or making the disease one that is less taboo.

if you think its primarily because they wanted to be selfless and help people - id say thats simply the image they want to portray. very little of the money gets to research. what does is a nice byproduct but it certainly is not front and center in the league goals.

Edited by NoSaint