Is Byrd Replaceable?

I don't think Byrd will improve our defense much, except to have another body when yet another of our guys goes down.

That is, Byrd, coming off of PF "disease" and with no playing or practice time in the new defense, I would think it would be really hard for him to generate the kind of plays that JL and AW generated yesterday.

I agree. He will be several steps behind from missing practice and not knowing the scheme. And, as another poster said, will be relied upon to do different things than he has in the past. Let's see when Gillmore and McKelvin get back how good the D is. It could be that Byrd is entirely replaceable by then.

4 sacks and 5 picks with 3/4s of our starting DBs out of the game. That is against a QB who just won a SB and got a 120 million dollar contract.

Dareus was on fire yesterday. Never giving up on plays, his two sacks on Flacco came from him continuing the play the entire time. Very good play by him. He needs to do this every week.

Um, didn't Geno Smith and Joe Flacco almost each have 400 yards passing against us? Look, I know everyone hates Byrd now but let's not get silly. He absolutely would be a huge help to the defense.

two of Flacco's passes were HUGE plays. I'm not convinced that Byrd stops those plays from occurring. In fact, I don't see Byrd putting in the effort that A. Williams did to save the touchdown on the long bomb. Still can't believe Williams caught him. Great job not giving up on the play. He got beat, but still saved the game.

Edited by RyanC883

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 sacks and 5 picks with 3/4s of our starting DBs out of the game. That is against a QB who just won a SB and got a 120 million dollar contract.

I'd call it missing all of our starting secondary. Williams wasnt a starting CB which is where he lined up.

Yup. Nothing against Rogers and Williams and Jimmy Leonard, they've fought valiantly

I said this to my friend on the way home yesterday. Imagine how good this D will be with Gilmore, McLoving and Byrd. 3 pro bowl talents that are in street clothes right now. Could be scary good. The coverage yesterday was great too.

with all due respect, referring to McKelvin as pro-bowl talent is a bit of a stretch. he was relegated to kick returner the last few years, and was almost out of here. the new scheme/coordinator does seem to fit him well. but let's not go crazy just yet

For better or worse, Byrd has allowed serious, difficult, and legitimate questions to be raised about the level of play moving forward. Whether because of legitimate injury or because he is Byrd-dogging, he can't get on the field.

So I would edit your statement: a healthy and willing Byrd>>>>Leonhard, no question. But no one knows if that is what we have.

kj

This.

two of Flacco's passes were HUGE plays. I'm not convinced that Byrd stops those plays from occurring. In fact, I don't see Byrd putting in the effort that A. Williams did to save the touchdown on the long bomb. Still can't believe Williams caught him. Great job not giving up on the play. He got beat, but still saved the game.

Agreed. To me, most of the problems we saw in the last two weeks weren't safety play, it's that we were down Gilmore, McKelvin and Brooks, and were asking Rodgers to be #1. In the Jets game we sent over Aaron Williams back to CB where he hadn't practiced full time since last season. Gilmore and McKelvin coming back would appear to be more impactful.

The Bills will need Byrd more as the season wears on and teams have more film of the Bills defense. For as well as that unit played yesterday, teams adapt and it's at this point where you need the most talent on the field at one time.

In a league predicated on scoring, particularly through the air, turnovers are key. Buffalo isn't going to get 5 picks and some contests may turn on 1. I'd prefer a healthy Byrd over what played yesterday, even considering the result.

Did anyone catch the quotes from CJ and Fred post game about their injuries? Some thing to the effect of "we're a little sore but we will rehab like crazy to play Thursday and help our team." Intended or not THAT is a shot at Jairus Byrd and his PF. (pussyfoot)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Um, didn't Geno Smith and Joe Flacco almost each have 400 yards passing against us? Look, I know everyone hates Byrd now but let's not get silly. He absolutely would be a huge help to the defense.

Yes they both put up big numbers, but for two different reasons. Smith did it because our defense was just awful. Flacco did because he had no running game and was playing catch up.

Would Byrd make the D better? Yes of course he would. If it weren't for his contract situation would he be playing with his alleged injury? Probably. Should the Bills pay him? I don't know. I understand teams not wanting to over pay and I understand players resenting being franchised. Difficult situation.

Did anyone catch the quotes from CJ and Fred post game about their injuries? Some thing to the effect of "we're a little sore but we will rehab like crazy to play Thursday and help our team." Intended or not THAT is a shot at Jairus Byrd and his PF. (pussyfoot)

PTR

i wouldn't doubt a lot of players are playing injured/hurt as a show of effort and what it takes to be a contributor to this team. Even CJ was in quite a bit yesterday when he was clearly injured.

A. Williams Urbik, and Freddy returning after being taken to the locker rooms. It is a big middle finger to "Aunt Pussyfoot"

Concur with RyanC883. Unless Byrd can play CB, those plays are going to happen. You leave 4th string CB's in single coverage against Super Bowl receivers (e.g., Holmes, Smith), big plays will probably happen.

Concur with RyanC883. Unless Byrd can play CB, those plays are going to happen. You leave 4th string CB's in single coverage against Super Bowl receivers (e.g., Holmes, Smith), big plays will probably happen.

We are giving up 60 more yards passing a game. A S plays over the top to prevent big plays. Searcy is an awful cover guy and JL is just not fast enough. If you don't honestly think a guy who is arguably the best at his position wwon't help the pass defense, I think you are taking the Byrd contract situation way too personal.

If Byrd and the Bills reached a long term deal, there won't be a peep about the Bills being better off without him.

We are giving up 60 more yards passing a game. A S plays over the top to prevent big plays. Searcy is an awful cover guy and JL is just not fast enough. If you don't honestly think a guy who is arguably the best at his position wwon't help the pass defense, I think you are taking the Byrd contract situation way too personal.

If Byrd and the Bills reached a long term deal, there won't be a peep about the Bills being better off without him.

ummmmm....THIS too :ph34r:

I agree. He will be several steps behind from missing practice and not knowing the scheme. And, as another poster said, will be relied upon to do different things than he has in the past. Let's see when Gillmore and McKelvin get back how good the D is. It could be that Byrd is entirely replaceable by then.

Dareus was on fire yesterday. Never giving up on plays, his two sacks on Flacco came from him continuing the play the entire time. Very good play by him. He needs to do this every week.

Given all the times I've seen Byrd trailing the play as a WR runs away from him, I agree with this entirely. I don't think Byrd has the raw athleticism of Williams, either.

Oh, and until Byrd decides to get on the field and prove otherwise, Leonhard is exponentially better than Byrd in this system.

GO BILLS!!!

Given all the times I've seen Byrd trailing the play as a WR runs away from him, I agree with this entirely. I don't think Byrd has the raw athleticism of Williams, either.

Oh, and until Byrd decides to get on the field and prove otherwise, Leonhard is exponentially better than Byrd in this system.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you're a good poster K-9 but this is some crazy talk. JL was off the scrap heap, people wanted to cut Searcy and Williams, now one of the best S in the game won't help the defense. Some of you need to separate the contract stuff from the player. Byrd is far superior to anyone on the Bills' roster at S.

I'm as big a Byrd supporter as anyone but this situation is growing tiresome. If he sits the next two games there is no reason not to IR him. Are the Bills better with him? Yes, but if he isn't going to play they need to use his roster spot on someone who will contribute. The Bills should definitely tag him again and then trade him for a 2nd round pick or let him sit again. I wonder what the market is for a player who sits out two seasons.

It is a big middle finger to "Aunt Pussyfoot"

Did you make that up? It's awesome.

I think you're a good poster K-9 but this is some crazy talk. JL was off the scrap heap, people wanted to cut Searcy and Williams, now one of the best S in the game won't help the defense. Some of you need to separate the contract stuff from the player. Byrd is far superior to anyone on the Bills' roster at S.

Saying that Byrd is the best Safety in Buffalo doesn't mean he's worth paying him best safety in the league money.

Powell is far superior to any other punter on the Bills' roster. That doesn't make him a great punter.

If Byrd wants to be paid like the best safeties in the league, perhaps he should prove he's worth it. Right now, the only thing he's proving is that he's a dick.

I'm as big a Byrd supporter as anyone but this situation is growing tiresome. If he sits the next two games there is no reason not to IR him. Are the Bills better with him? Yes, but if he isn't going to play they need to use his roster spot on someone who will contribute. The Bills should definitely tag him again and then trade him for a 2nd round pick or let him sit again. I wonder what the market is for a player who sits out two seasons.

the market would not be very good at all. But I'm perfectly fine with tagging him again even if he plays this same game this year. Don't care if I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.

I am not taking the contract situation personally, and I agree with K-9.

My point is that you are going to get Byrd back who: (i) likely will have lingering PF; and (ii) hasn't taken a snap in this new defensive system. Based on those limitations, I don't think you're going to see him appreciably better the Bills' defense.

No one disagrees that Byrd is better than [fill in the blank]. But under the circumstances, he'll be hard-pressed to play better or make more significant plays than AW or JL. He certainly isn't going to singlehandedly stop Justin Rogers from getting burned.

and this

exactly. Of course he's better than what we have. But how much? Would we be much better, so much that signing Byrd to $7-9m a year is worth it? Or would we be better keeping what we have right now, saving an additional $7-9m a year and using that money on a stud pass rusher, wide receiver, guard, linebacker?

depends - unless you plan to cycle young guys and declining vets continuously, at some point you will have to pay for that production.