Is Byrd Replaceable?

Now, don't get me wrong. I would love it it Jairus Byrd and the Buffalo Bills came to a long term deal in which both sides are happy and a very talented safety is out there playing his heart out for us. But as the season wears on, and we've heard rumblings that Byrd is unhappy, and he seems to refuse to play with the same injury he had during the best season of his career (and one that his teammate Mario Williams is productively playing through). He seems to not want to be here.

So with that in mind, I have to ask: How irreplaceable is Byrd to this defense?

Yes, we could use him out there. Our DB corps is one of the most snakebitten in the league and I am counting the days until Gilmore comes back. But how much would they improve by the return of Byrd as compared to Gilmore or...I can't believe that I'm saying this, McKelvin?

Aaron Williams has done a surprisingly good job transitioning to safety, and oddly enough, it seems that his time there has made him a better CB as well. Seacry, while certainly leaving something to be desired is a good run stuffer and has made some big plays. And the veteran Jim Leonard has looked pretty damn good.

Of course, we may have to lose Williams to CB duty from time to time, and Leonard is reaching the end of his career, but this seems to be something that can be solved with the draft or picking up some depth in FA while our last two safety picks develop. So I want to ask: with a group which has gotten 9 interceptions in four games without Byrd, how badly do we need him back?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, don't get me wrong. I would love it it Jairus Byrd and the Buffalo Bills came to a long term deal in which both sides are happy and a very talented safety is out there playing his heart out for us. But as the season wears on, and we've heard rumblings that Byrd is unhappy, and he seems to refuse to play with the same injury he had during the best season of his career (and one that his teammate Mario Williams is productively playing through). He seems to not want to be here.

Yes, we could use him out there. Our DB corps is one of the most snakebitten in the league and I am counting the days until Gilmore comes back. But how much would they improve by the return of Byrd as compared to Gilmore or...I can't believe that I'm saying this, McKelvin?

Aaron Williams has done a surprisingly good job transitioning to safety, and oddly enough, it seems that his time there has made him a better CB as well. Seacry, while certainly leaving something to be desired is a good run stuffer and has made some big plays. And the veteran Jim Leonard has looked pretty damn good.

Of course, we may have to lose Williams to CB duty from time to time, and Leonard is reaching the end of his career, but this seems to be something that can be solved with the draft or picking up some depth in FA while our last two safety picks develop. So I want to ask: with a group which has gotten 9 interceptions in four games without Byrd, how badly do we need him back?

Bad.

Searcy is not a viable replacement for Byrd but I do believe that Byrd's value to the current Bills defensive system is questionable. Byrd became an interception machine in a cover two defense. That type of defense is perfect for a ball hawking safety like Byrd who can just sit back, play center field and close on the ball.

Pettine's system is VERY different. He'll be asked to be up on the line of scrimmage and will play a very different role. He may still be an amazing player in Pettine's system but I think that's part of the reason that the Bills weren't overly eager to sign him to a long term deal. The franchise tag should have given them a one year tryout. But...........

Searcy is not a viable replacement for Byrd but I do believe that Byrd's value to the current Bills defensive system is questionable. Byrd became an interception machine in a cover two defense. That type of defense is perfect for a ball hawking safety like Byrd who can just sit back, play center field and close on the ball.

Pettine's system is VERY different. He'll be asked to be up on the line of scrimmage and will play a very different role. He may still be an amazing player in Pettine's system but I think that's part of the reason that the Bills weren't overly eager to sign him to a long term deal. The franchise tag should have given them a one year tryout. But...........

With all due respect to Jim Leonhard, who is balling: Byrd >>>>>> Leonhard

To start off answering your question, he is absolutely replaceable. We are succeeding without him. However I really wish he would come back so we could find out if we get even better with him or if its just about the same. Would really give us a baseline to find out if we want to pay him highest paid safety money under this defense.

To add to that. I think no matter what we need to franchise him again even if we think we can move in without him. We can't let players dictate what we do anymore. We can't let him walk for nothing. If he wants to pull all this crap again next year, then fine, pay him and sit him all season or until someone makes a deal for him. Right now if say he would get top dollar for him in a trade. I don't think the injury causes any doubt. He knows he can play. We know he can play. The rest of the league knows he can play. He's not hurting his reputation on the field with this. He is hurting his personal reputation and making himself look like a selfish @$$hole however.

To add to your points, the defense will be scary with just McKelvin and Gilmore back.

The keys are that Leonard could fit in either spot if needed. If Byrd comes back then Williams can roam freely in a 3 safety type of defense. Well, 3 safeties or just really a nickle with Williams playing that spot and roaming wherever he see fit.

Every player is replacable. That said, imagine adding a top 5 safety to this current defense? Searcy is still pretty bad in coverage. Leonhard is more of a pass defender/ centerfielder type. Regardless how you feel about him, Byrd is one of the best at his position in the league.

whats funny is that Williams is looking like a top 5 safety and Leanord ain't looking too bad either.

Yup. Nothing against Rogers and Williams and Jimmy Leonard, they've fought valiantly

I said this to my friend on the way home yesterday. Imagine how good this D will be with Gilmore, McLoving and Byrd. 3 pro bowl talents that are in street clothes right now. Could be scary good. The coverage yesterday was great too.

I don't think Byrd will improve our defense much, except to have another body when yet another of our guys goes down.

That is, Byrd, coming off of PF "disease" and with no playing or practice time in the new defense, I would think it would be really hard for him to generate the kind of plays that JL and AW generated yesterday.

For better or worse, Byrd has allowed serious, difficult, and legitimate questions to be raised about the level of play moving forward. Whether because of legitimate injury or because he is Byrd-dogging, he can't get on the field.

So I would edit your statement: a healthy and willing Byrd>>>>Leonhard, no question. But no one knows if that is what we have.

kj

I don't think Byrd will improve our defense much, except to have another body when yet another of our guys goes down.

That is, Byrd, coming off of PF "disease" and with no playing or practice time in the new defense, I would think it would be really hard for him to generate the kind of plays that JL and AW generated yesterday.

Um, didn't Geno Smith and Joe Flacco almost each have 400 yards passing against us? Look, I know everyone hates Byrd now but let's not get silly. He absolutely would be a huge help to the defense.

Yup. Nothing against Rogers and Williams and Jimmy Leonard, they've fought valiantly

I said this to my friend on the way home yesterday. Imagine how good this D will be with Gilmore, McLoving and Byrd. 3 pro bowl talents that are in street clothes right now. Could be scary good. The coverage yesterday was great too.

great post

I think that the stellar effort put in by the noname DBs this week will prompt Byrd to return to action, because now there will be even more people asking if it's him or the schemes. If he still wants the top dollar FS contract next year, he needs to suit up.

To start off answering your question, he is absolutely replaceable. We are succeeding without him. However I really wish he would come back so we could find out if we get even better with him or if its just about the same. Would really give us a baseline to find out if we want to pay him highest paid safety money under this defense.

This, to me, is very important.

I'm no scout; nor am I a football expert ... but my gut tells me Byrd thinks Byrd is a hell of a lot better than Byrd really is. If they can spend the money more wisely, do it. But it would be nice to see what kind of an impact he'll have on our D.

I think that the stellar effort put in by the noname DBs this week will prompt Byrd to return to action, because now there will be even more people asking if it's him or the schemes. If he still wants the top dollar FS contract next year, he needs to suit up.

and this

This, to me, is very important.

I'm no scout; nor am I a football expert ... but my gut tells me Byrd thinks Byrd is a hell of a lot better than Byrd really is. If they can spend the money more wisely, do it. But it would be nice to see what kind of an impact he'll have on our D.

exactly. Of course he's better than what we have. But how much? Would we be much better, so much that signing Byrd to $7-9m a year is worth it? Or would we be better keeping what we have right now, saving an additional $7-9m a year and using that money on a stud pass rusher, wide receiver, guard, linebacker?

To add to that. I think no matter what we need to franchise him again even if we think we can move in without him. We can't let players dictate what we do anymore. We can't let him walk for nothing. If he wants to pull all this crap again next year, then fine, pay him and sit him all season or until someone makes a deal for him. Right now if say he would get top dollar for him in a trade. I don't think the injury causes any doubt. He knows he can play. We know he can play. The rest of the league knows he can play. He's not hurting his reputation on the field with this. He is hurting his personal reputation and making himself look like a selfish @$$hole however.

To add to your points, the defense will be scary with just McKelvin and Gilmore back.

The keys are that Leonard could fit in either spot if needed. If Byrd comes back then Williams can roam freely in a 3 safety type of defense. Well, 3 safeties or just really a nickle with Williams playing that spot and roaming wherever he see fit.

whats funny is that Williams is looking like a top 5 safety and Leanord ain't looking too bad either.

As I mentioned, I would want him back. I want him back yesterday. I want him back for Game 1 against Tom Brady. I want him back Week 3 to terrorize Geno.

The question, to me, is whether or not he'll ever shake out of "Martyr Mode", because he certainly hasn't played well enough to get the money he was asking for BEFORE the season began, never mind sitting out so far this year.

A secondary of a fully willing Byrd, Williams and Leonard at safety and Gilmore, McKelvin and Brooks/Robey at CB sounds scary good. I just don't know if we'll ever see the first, and most questionable part of that lineup.

+1

Yes, this this this....I hope. I really do.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

Of course he's better than what we have. But how much? Would we be much better, so much that signing Byrd to $7-9m a year is worth it? Or would we be better keeping what we have right now, saving an additional $7-9m a year and using that money on a stud pass rusher, wide receiver, guard, linebacker?

Precisely.