Tell me more about drafting CBs...

OCinBuffalo

oqdi7.jpg

:lol:

Well, I should think that yesterday was quite embarrassing for some posters. The notion that drafting CBs is a waste of resources? Easily blown away by one rhetorical question:

Never mind Gilmore/Byrd, how many of you wish McKelvin was on the field the whole game yesterday?

Yes, the answer is: ALL of you. That's the difference between a first round CB, and everybody else.

Yes, that's right: McKelvin, the "bust", the "wasted pick"...yet we lose the game, because he's not there? And, ALL of you wish he was? :lol: How does this make any sense at all? Where's the logic here?

How does any of this square the with the conventional "wisdom" that not only was taking McKelvin a bad idea, but, that taking ANY DB in the first 2 rounds is a bad idea? Easy: while it may be conventional, it is not wisdom. Not in today's game.

Wisdom = experience + knowledge. We had an awful experience yesterday, didn't we? A learning experience perhaps?

Consider:

One terrible sack given up by Colin Brown( along with 7 others for the whole line, and, how many of those do you put on the O line?) not being elite, but mediocre...

vs...

2 easy TDs and all sorts of completions and PI penalties because Justin Rogers and Nickel Robey(and make no mistake, that could have been anybody else on this team, but McKelvin and Gilmore) are mediocre as well?

Which has a bigger impact on the game? Answer: We WIN the game if we get better DB play. The Jets won the game with excellent DB play.

I don't know how you can come away from yesterday's game, and maintain the opinion that drafting DBs high is always a bad idea. And, don't fret, I've already accounted for Jimmy Leonard's nice play.

The answer there is: Ok, so we saved one awful TD(because we were beat there as well). Whom do we see about the other 2?

Who was the Bills coach that said "You can NEVER have too many CB's"?

I'm pretty sure all of them have said that since the hash marks were moved inside and/or when blockers were allowed to extend their arms.

GO BILLS!!!

I was as surprised as anyone that the Bills neglected the CB position in the 2013 Draft...I was even more surprised that the did so while drafting two mid round Safeties...

But the Bills had SO many needs going into this Draft, and lets not forget Gilmore was 100% healthy...I don't mind that they did not take a CB high...

I have no problem with the Bills first 3 picks in the 2013 Draft...But I do question what they did after that...Goodwin, while electric, is a project at WR...And what he does best, KR, is almost non-existent in today's NFL...Then they take the two Safeties even though they know Aaron Williams (a former 2nd Round Pick) is moving to Safety, and that Byrd is coming back for at least one more year...I don't mind that they took a Safety, but two??? I think it's easy to look back now and say those picks may have been better spent at CB...But who knows what their board was like...Obviously they graded Goodwin, Williams, and Meeks higher than the CB's available...But not adding some depth at CB through the Draft is coming back and biting them big-time...I don't think that can be questioned... B-)

Yes, any teams 5th CB is probably a liability out there. Combine it with a lack of pass rush and you get yesterdays game. Most folks hate drafting a DB high because we've not had difference makers on the DL or OL for years and they make a bigger impact on the game. It is much harder to find big guys that can move than smaller guys so the 1st round is usually where you must get that stud DT, DE, or OL. No way we win that game yesterday with even our best CB's if Geno has all day back there like he did. Any NFL QB will find an open WR if given time with today's passing rules. You want your best CB's out there, but if you don't pressure and lose the LOS, you will still get beat. All the good GM's say you build from the inside out meaning the lines. No one would have a problem with a first round DB if you've got elite players in the trenches.

Yes, any teams 5th CB is probably a liability out there. Combine it with a lack of pass rush and you get yesterdays game. Most folks hate drafting a DB high because we've not had difference makers on the DL or OL for years and they make a bigger impact on the game. It is much harder to find big guys that can move than smaller guys so the 1st round is usually where you must get that stud DT, DE, or OL. No way we win that game yesterday with even our best CB's if Geno has all day back there like he did. Any NFL QB will find an open WR if given time with today's passing rules. You want your best CB's out there, but if you don't pressure and lose the LOS, you will still get beat. All the good GM's say you build from the inside out meaning the lines. No one would have a problem with a first round DB if you've got elite players in the trenches.

Just to enlighten you the pass rush can only happen when the WRs are covered. One takes care of the other.

How many lame TDs were scored on us due to O line play?

How many TDs where the Jets said: "just throw it up before the pass rush gets here, because either we will get the catch(because they can't cover) or, we will get the PI(because they can't cover)". The pass rush was made irrelevant. We can't stop them on 3rd and 17? What does that have to do with a pass rush, when we have dropped 8 men into "coverage"? Nothing. Geno threw prayer after prayer down the field, and lucked his way into 2 awful TDS.

If we have merely competent DBs back we win. The Jets had comptent DBs, and that, along with their defensive game plan, is why they won.

The pass rush is the ONLY thing that stopped that game from getting out of hand. Consider the last 4 jets drives: the D line stopped them, not the secondary.

Lay it down. We are in trouble because we didn't have any CB depth on this team. You think Brooks makes a difference? I don't know. And, not knowing is a problem, especially when, under normal circumstances, Brooks will be on the field for over 50% of the plays.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

That was Nix that said it.

Actually it was Dick Jauron. It's one of the reasons we ran him out of town.

Wade: hick accent, wouldn't wear headset.

Greggo: Bullhorn, arrogant

Mullarkey: Meathead, We picked on his kids

Dickless: "It's hard to win in the NFL", drafted too many DBs, Skelator face.

Chan: Said Spiller got winded, hick accent. Loved Fitz.

Marrone: ????

PTR

When was the last time people talked about how dominant a team's secondary is and how it really bails out their soft front 7? Never? Yeah me neither. You build from the front.

So, you've learned nothing from yesterday?

Ok, let me ask you this: did we have a problem with our D line yesterday? Did it look bad? How about our LBs? How'd Kiko play?

On the first drive of the game for the Jets, who gave up the 1st down on 3rd and 17? The D line, the Lbs(many of whom were off the field), or the secondary?

on all of the coverage I've seen about the game, nobody has mentioned how we are playing our 3rd and 4th string DB's. I think we will be ok once everyone is healthy and these backups are only gaining valuable experience that will help for when they play them in nickel packages. I was never a fan of mckelvin but man these backups make him look like an all-pro!

PTR

Buddy Nix also said it after we drafted Gilmore.

When was the last time people talked about how dominant a team's secondary is and how it really bails out their soft front 7? Never? Yeah me neither. You build from the front.

Actually just last week with Seahawks. They were talking about the pressure they can get up front b.c of the coverage in the secondary.

oqdi7.jpg

Well, I should think that yesterday was quite embarrassing for some posters. The notion that drafting CBs is a waste of resources? Easily blown away by one rhetorical question:

Never mind Gilmore/Byrd, how many of you wish McKelvin was on the field the whole game yesterday?

Yes, the answer is: ALL of you. That's the difference between a first round CB, and everybody else.

Yes, that's right: McKelvin, the "bust", the "wasted pick"...yet we lose the game, because he's not there? And, ALL of you wish he was? :lol: How does this make any sense at all? Where's the logic here?

How does any of this square the with the conventional "wisdom" that not only was taking McKelvin a bad idea, but, that taking ANY DB in the first 2 rounds is a bad idea? Easy: while it may be conventional, it is not wisdom. Not in today's game.

Wisdom = experience + knowledge. We had an awful experience yesterday, didn't we? A learning experience perhaps?

Consider:

One terrible sack given up by Colin Brown( along with 7 others for the whole line, and, how many of those do you put on the O line?) not being elite, but mediocre...

vs...

2 easy TDs and all sorts of completions and PI penalties because Justin Rogers and Nickel Robey(and make no mistake, that could have been anybody else on this team, but McKelvin and Gilmore) are mediocre as well?

Which has a bigger impact on the game? Answer: We WIN the game if we get better DB play. The Jets won the game with excellent DB play.

I don't know how you can come away from yesterday's game, and maintain the opinion that drafting DBs high is always a bad idea. And, don't fret, I've already accounted for Jimmy Leonard's nice play.

The answer there is: Ok, so we saved one awful TD(because we were beat there as well). Whom do we see about the other 2?

While i dont disagree with you completely, theres also something to be said about the lack of pass rush by our HIGHLY PAID dline that only exploited our crappy secondary even more. Genos bombs dont occur if mario is in his face or puts him on his arse.

Look at what the panthers secondary did to the giants' high octane passing game yeaterday. Scrubs looked like pro bowlers bc eli was on his arse all game.

The key is always in the dline. Sure, coverage sacks can happen but in todays nfl good luck relying on coverage sacks. Our pass rush is too inconsistent.

That being said, the jets had a perfect game plan yeaterday and made a lot of quick passes to counter pass rush and then geno made some great deep throws. Kudos to them.

oqdi7.jpg

Consider:

vs...

+10

Not to mention late round CB/Safeties are instrumental on special teams. Drafting secondary in EVERY draft is must.

Just to enlighten you the pass rush can only happen when the WRs are covered. One takes care of the other.

Nope. A good pass rush can bail out an average secondary. All WR's are covered for the first couple seconds unless it's a blown coverage. When a QB can set and throw on rhythm there is no defense for a perfect throw. Perfect throws happen much less frequently when the rush beats their man and gets to the QB. Coverage sacks happen, but by definition your rush didn't get it done on those. Bruce Smith didn't get in the hall of fame because of Nate Odomes.

While i dont disagree with you completely, theres also something to be said about the lack of pass rush by our HIGHLY PAID dline that only exploited our crappy secondary even more. Genos bombs dont occur if mario is in his face or puts him on his arse.

Look at what the panthers secondary did to the giants' high octane passing game yeaterday. Scrubs looked like pro bowlers bc eli was on his arse all game.

The key is always in the dline. Sure, coverage sacks can happen but in todays nfl good luck relying on coverage sacks. Our pass rush is too inconsistent.

That being said, the jets had a perfect game plan yeaterday and made a lot of quick passes to counter pass rush and then geno made some great deep throws. Kudos to them.

Reasonable.

However, you've contradicted yourself, haven't you?

You can't have a "perfect game plan" and "counter the pass rush with quick throws", and, blame the pass rush for being inconsistent, at the same time, can you?

Nope. We simply need to realize that in this D scheme, we have to be able to count on EVERY single man who has a coverage responsibility, to cover his man for 3 seconds, and, to win the 50/50 ball battle at least 75% of the time. Think about it: their WR has to catch it, and stay in bounds. Our CB has it easier: he has to break it up, or force the man out. It's not easy to play CB, but, if you actually have the ability, it's easy to win on jump ball that you don't have to catch.

I was as surprised as anyone that the Bills neglected the CB position in the 2013 Draft...I was even more surprised that the did so while drafting two mid round Safeties...

But the Bills had SO many needs going into this Draft, and lets not forget Gilmore was 100% healthy...I don't mind that they did not take a CB high...

I have no problem with the Bills first 3 picks in the 2013 Draft...But I do question what they did after that...Goodwin, while electric, is a project at WR...And what he does best, KR, is almost non-existent in today's NFL...Then they take the two Safeties even though they know Aaron Williams (a former 2nd Round Pick) is moving to Safety, and that Byrd is coming back for at least one more year...I don't mind that they took a Safety, but two??? I think it's easy to look back now and say those picks may have been better spent at CB...But who knows what their board was like...Obviously they graded Goodwin, Williams, and Meeks higher than the CB's available...But not adding some depth at CB through the Draft is coming back and biting them big-time...I don't think that can be questioned... B-)

I guess I'm going to question what can't be questioned. I don't believe that not drafting a 5th round CB for depth is "coming back and biting this team big-time". I'm not sure this rookie depth CB would have been the difference.

Nope. A good pass rush can bail out an average secondary. All WR's are covered for the first couple seconds unless it's a blown coverage. When a QB can set and throw on rhythm there is no defense for a perfect throw. Perfect throws happen much less frequently when the rush beats their man and gets to the QB. Coverage sacks happen, but by definition your rush didn't get it done on those. Bruce Smith didn't get in the hall of fame because of Nate Odomes.

Same question: who gave up the 3rd and 17 on the first jets drive of the game? The D line? The LBs? Or the secondary?

Last game: how many 3rd and longs were converted becaue we can't cover for 3 seconds?

So, you've learned nothing from yesterday?

Ok, let me ask you this: did we have a problem with our D line yesterday? Did it look bad? How about our LBs? How'd Kiko play?

On the first drive of the game for the Jets, who gave up the 1st down on 3rd and 17? The D line, the Lbs(many of whom were off the field), or the secondary?

D line was bad. Secondary problems were magnified by this. You'd like to think you can force a dump off or get a sack on 3rd and 17. Make a tackle, then get off the field. Secondary was bad with the injuries, but G Smith had plenty of time to exploit those matchups. Kiko was pretty good, good recognition that WR would run a slant on the combination route INT. Not a rookie play there. Lawson was good, Hughes was terrible. Getting manhandled so badly that a no name got 100plus yards was inexcusably bad.

D line was bad. Secondary problems were magnified by this. You'd like to think you can force a dump off or get a sack on 3rd and 17. Make a tackle, then get off the field. Secondary was bad with the injuries, but G Smith had plenty of time to exploit those matchups. Kiko was pretty good, good recognition that WR would run a slant on the combination route INT. Not a rookie play there. Lawson was good, Hughes was terrible. Getting manhandled so badly that a no name got 100plus yards was inexcusably bad.

In the 4th quarter, we forced Geno off the field over and over. Was that due to the secondary, or the D line?

Pretty sure he didn't have much time to do much of anything.

And, throwing the ball up after 2 seconds, is not "having all sorts of time". That's heaving and praying. But, not really, since Geno had a 80% chance of either getting a big play or a PI.

I don't know how you can put any of that on the D line.

a pass rush helps the CBs much more than than the CBs helping the pass rush....that is whats called a coverage sack which isnt used too much.

In the 4th quarter, we forced Geno off the field over and over. Was that due to the secondary, or the D line?

And, throwing the ball up after 2 seconds, is not "having all sorts of time". That's heaving and praying. But, not really, since Geno had a 80% chance of either getting a big play or a PI.

Its called max protection and 2 go deep...throw and hope for a completion, PI, or incomplete. A pick is the same as a punt.

Who was the Bills coach that said "You can NEVER have too many CB's"?

Dick Jauron... who is probably still having nightmares about Brady to Randy Moss over and over every night. Even tho that situation could have been helped with a decent pass rush. Dickless idea of a pass rusher was Maybin.

This team is paper thin at every position on the team, and that secondary should be fine once McKelvin, Byrd, Gilmore are healthy again.

Whats more concerning to me is why Geno had so much time to throw vs why EJ had so little time to throw. Not to mention the lack of holes for Spiller. Also at this point I'm more concerned about the LG position and why they let Rinehart walk when they knew they weren't going to keep Levitre.

Next year Round 1: CB, Round two : G, Rnd 3: free saftey, Rnd 4: Outside LB, Rnd 5: OL, Rnd 6: DB, Rnd 7: DB, Somehow sign a free agent TE with all star level skills....., not a mediocre blocking TE that can't run.....

Not reactionary at all. And it's early.

I hate "I told you so" threads.

Not sure what your point is here. The D line was generally bad, got little pass rush, had no sacks, Geno had time in the pocket. The secondary was awful, Rogers is not a starting caliber DB. Not many teams have stars at their 5th CB spot, however. We can't lament injuries too much. I didn't count, but I saw very few plays where our DL and LB's beat the Jet's OL. Why debate if we would have won this game if we were healthy in the secondary? The guys on the field got beat and no DL's "raised their game" making big plays to cover for it.

Honestly, McKelvin has been a liability to this defense outside of the first two games of this year.

And you know what? Even after drafting unlimited amounts of DBs, particularaly in high rounds, we still have a depleted secondary.

Its some what contradictory to say you need to draft DBs high if you want a good defense, and then use the Bills defense as an example.

Did you notice the tightly bunched (read tightly gapped) max protection schemes employed by the Jest? That is hard to penetrate but it means less receivers going against more DBs. Numbers wise, your DBs should be able to defend it. Ours were not up to the task, obviously and it's doubly difficult when you can't FORCE a team to use the middle of the field because your corners are so exposed.

We gifted the Jest with 14 points DIRECTLY because of atrocious CB play on the edges. It was just too easy.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Did you notice the tightly bunched (read tightly gapped) max protection schemes employed by the Jest? That is hard to penetrate but it means less receivers going against more DBs. Numbers wise, a your DBs should be able to defend it. Ours were not up to the task, obviously and it's doubly difficult when you can't FORCE a team to use the middle of he field because your corners are so exposed.

We gifted the Jest with 14 points DIRECTLY because of atrocious CB play on the edges. It was just too easy.

GO BILLS!!!

Were those TD's in max protect? I'd have to look at it. No one is defending the Bills CB play. They were decimated there and it showed. But if you are beat up there, maybe you've got to expect your elite rusher to get the QB on the ground. The Jets sure seemed to whip our protection scheme all day long. Many times with just 4 rushers. Their starting corners are much better than ours, but we couldn't protect at all. Yes, the last TD was too easy as Rogers never looked back at the ball.

Is this even a fair question? It's not as if we're suffering from the difference between good CBs and mediocre CBs. They suffered from the difference between good CBs and guys who shouldn't be playing CB in the NFL even as backups. The Bills lost their top three CBs (Gilmore, McKelvin, and Brooks) as well as their top coverage safety. The replacements at CB were a solid safety (a converted failed CB) a terrible player (Rogers) and a UDFA rookie (Robey).

PTR

Wow there's been really good reasons. I always thought it was arbitrary angst over sucking too much.

Were those TD's in max protect? I'd have to look at it. No one is defending the Bills CB play. They were decimated there and it showed. But if you are beat up there, maybe you've got to expect your elite rusher to get the QB on the ground. The Jets sure seemed to whip our protection scheme all day long. Many times with just 4 rushers. Their starting corners are much better than ours, but we couldn't protect at all. Yes, the last TD was too easy as Rogers never looked back at the ball.

The Jest coaches did a good job of reviewing the Panthers tape from what I saw. They were in max protect on the TD to Holmes and I'm pretty sure on the other as well. I haven't reviewed that one yet. But it seemed on any long pattern, they kept 7 or 8 in to block. And those gaps were very tight as well. Just very hard to get to the QB against those schemes more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess I'm going to question what can't be questioned. I don't believe that not drafting a 5th round CB for depth is "coming back and biting this team big-time". I'm not sure this rookie depth CB would have been the difference.

Point taken...But considering a 5-7 undrafted free agent looks better at times than Rogers, who was only a 7th round pick himself, it's hard for me to believe there was no help in the middle rounds at CB either...And I spoke about the Bills picks from the 3rd to the 5th round...Not just the 5th round...

Not to mention our 4th and 5th Round Safeties are sitting on the sidelines watching a 5' 8" street UFA start ahead of them...That's not to say Leonard is not a good player, and a nice Roster addition...But I think it furthers the point that two mid round Safeties was one too many... We could have used one of those picks on a project CB...And it's VERY hard to imagine that project CB could be worse than Rogers... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS