A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

the announcing was the worst i remember. couldn't even get the down right at times. completely missed the fumble as you said and even as the scramble went on for the ball they didn't recognize it. at the beginning of the game they kept showing a camera shot of a pretty basic scoreboard with loads of empty seats (obviously the cameramen and control booth folks wern't the cream ogf the crop either) but to me, laughing at production goofs was the most amusing part of watching the game.

once we get good (whenever that may be), then we'll get the "A" announcing team. for now, we get saddled with the "C" team

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find discouraging is that this organization lacks foresight. They too often have no plan B when it is apparent that plan B is going to be called on. The Levitre saga illustrates this organizational weakness. They knew that Levitre was going to hit the market and they knew that they weren't going to pay him at the level he was seeking. They could have addressed this issue in the draft or free agency. There was simply no excuse for this team with so much cap room not to go out and find a reliable short term solution. If they thought that Colin Brown was the solution then they badly miscalculated. They repeated the same stupid cycle of cutting expensive players (Dockery, Langston Walker and Hangartner) without having a credible alternative.

This.

Doesn't matter who the GM has been, the Bills in this 13 year run of ineptitude have not developed depth, particularly on the OL. Part of this is not drafting well. This inevitably leaves them with rookies and street free agents as primary depth, which is what's happened (again) this year.

Most worrisome is they've decided to go with 2 rookies at QB. I get why Manuel is starting, but it's extremely questionable why an undrafted rookie free agent is backing him up. When Kolb was injured and Matt Leinart stunk up the place, they never attempted to get someone with any semblance of experience in case their 1st round QB was injured. That's organizational ineptitude and it's been present across multiple regimes. Why?

This is spot on. I agree that you can find adequate guards for less than Levitre wanted.

So do I JA, but why do it?

The Bills are overflowing with cap space, and Levitre, despite what his naysayers claim, was an exceptional player for us, and certainly the most durable. People harp on the fact that he never made the pro bowl. So what? Whitner did. Which one do you think did more for the Bills?

Not only that, our qb is a rookie and our biggest weapon is a small running back. Levitre is even more fit for this idiotic hurry-up scheme than a 330 pound blocker. Why not keep such a solid player?

I don't want to be cynical or come off being pessimistic. What I am not going to be is an organizational apologist that refuses to acknowledge where this franchise stands relative to the rest of the league. We are at the starting gate while most of the rest of the league are much further down the lane. So be it. I'm not as discouraged as you might think I am. I do strongly believe that Brandon taking over for the owner was a watershed moment for this backwater organization. The selection of Marrone as the HC and the elevation of Whaley were not stunning selectiions that wowed anyone. What they signified is that this franchise is finally entering the world of NORMAL as opposed to the prior Wilson world of being PECULIAR.

For this franchise there is no quick fix. There simply is too much ground to make up. The Levy/Brandon(GM)/Nix terms represent six years of wasted effort. That is a crying shame. A good organization should be able to have two rebuilds during that same period of time.

As I stated in the prior post anyone who truly believes that this team is going to make a serious run is deluding themself. They are not. If we come out of this season knowing that EJ is a capable qb, then this season is a success. In addition, if this crop of rookies show that they will be contributing players then that is another postive step to the road of respectability.

What I find discouraging is that this organization lacks foresight. They too often have no plan B when it is apparent that plan B is going to be called on. The Levitre saga illustrates this organizational weakness. They knew that Levitre was going to hit the market and they knew that they weren't going to pay him at the level he was seeking. They could have addressed this issue in the draft or free agency. There was simply no excuse for this team with so much cap room not to go out and find a reliable short term solution. If they thought that Colin Brown was the solution then they badly miscalculated. They repeated the same stupid cycle of cutting expensive players (Dockery, Langston Walker and Hangartner) without having a credible alternative.

I agree with you that we were out coached in this game. What I find very troubling is the resorting to gimmicks to compensate for weaknesses attributed to a lack of talent. The quick paced offense's major liability has more to do with the affect on its own defense than it does with its own offense. Our defense has major vulnerabilities when it is rested. When it is worn down by being on the field for too long those vulnerabilities become even more apparent. Sometimes when you try to outsmart the opposition you end up outsmarting yourself.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I wish I could. I wish I could say.. yeah it all makes sense. But, I fail to have that resolve anymore. Seeing this organization continue to make the same mistakes over and over that part time fans can see, just has taken its toll on me I guess.

Thanks to Bill in NYC for my favorite post of every week, and all the conversation it creates. Like so many other posters, I have concerns about our rookie HC, OC, and QB. Unfortunately, my biggest concern is with our rookie QB. His accuracy on throws of mid and long distance are a problem.

In games I watched him play in college, I saw him struggle with accuracy on these throws. So much so that I was in a bit of disbelief when he was the first QB taken on draft day.

During a Sunday session of training camp at St John Fisher I saw him struggle with these throws. Repeatedly throwing the fade route several feet out of bounds.

During the win against Carolina I saw him struggle with some of those throws, but we won the game on a great final drive and I thought better of posting any concerns about EJ after that game.

Yesterday, I saw the same throws I saw in college, during training camp, and in the two prior games this year. Admittedly, our offensive line struggled, our OC game plan is flawed, and the Jets have excellent defensive coaching. BUT, our rookie QB was making the same bad throws on the same kinds of passes that I have seen him make in every other situation that I have watched him attempt those throws.

I am rooting for him to succeed, but there has been nothing that he has done so far that alleviates my skepticism of his ultimate ability to be a top 12 QB in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong!

Good post.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I wish I could. I wish I could say.. yeah it all makes sense. But, I fail to have that resolve anymore. Seeing this organization continue to make the same mistakes over and over that part time fans can see, just has taken its toll on me I guess.

Illegitime non carborundum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

Buck it up and stop feeling sorry for yourself! You may be too caught up in your frustration with this formerly hollowed out organization. Instead of looking backwards at the foolishness of this very cartoonishly inept organization look forward and witness things moving in the right direction. Your vision may be too clouded with historical gloom; but if you step back you will realize that there is a glimmer of hope. For a change the trajectory is pointing up.

No one can accuse me of being an apologist for this bedraggled franchise. This draft had a different feel to it. Not only did this franchise draft a qb in the first round but they traded down and ended up with an extra second round pick that was used for Kiko. When was the last time that this nifty maneuver happened with this stolid organization?

At this point focus on the journey and not the end of the destination. That in itself can be very interesting. Allowing this team to make you go crazy is an act of self-flagellation. Be cool and have a brew. It is a state of mind. :thumbsup: LOL

http://en.wikipedia....non_carborundum

Buck it up and stop feeling sorry for yourself! You may be too caught up in your frustration with this formerly hollowed out organization. Instead of looking backwards at the foolishness of this very cartoonishly inept organization look forward and witness things moving in the right direction. Your vision may be too clouded with historical gloom; but if you step back you will realize that there is a glimmer of hope. For a change the trajectory is pointing up.

No one can accuse me of being an apologist for this bedraggled franchise. This draft had a different feel to it. Not only did this franchise draft a qb in the first round but they traded down and ended up with an extra second round pick that was used for Kiko. When was the last time that this nifty maneuver happened with this stolid organization?

At this point focus on the journey and not the end of the destination. That in itself can be very interesting. Allowing this team to make you go crazy is an act of self-flagellation. Be cool and have a brew. It is a state of mind. :thumbsup: LOL

What do you think we've been doing....well...this entire century.

http://en.wikipedia....non_carborundum

yer one a dem fast talkers with yer big words, aintcha? well mister... good post

As do I, as do I

Looking at the the release of OG Chad Rinehart this off season, while knowing they weren't going to keep OG Andy Levitre reminds me of 2011 season and letting Geoff Hangartner go, and then center Eric Wood going on IR in week 9. The result of that single cut was devastating as the Bills had no worthy backup center after starting that year 5-2.

The bean counters run this team, and until that changes nobody should expect different results.

I just want to see evidence of an ability for the coaching staff to adapt to real world conditions. So the hurry up worked for Marrone at Syracuse. Great, but this ain't college. It's natural for him to want to hang on to his belief that the players will grow into it, but how long will he persist with it before he comes to his senses? As others have posted, the hurry up is tough on the QB (even seasoned ones) but also makes it extremely hard on your defense as they get much less rest than normal. Perhaps it contributes to defensive injuries too? Slow it down Marrone!

Some complain about the hyper offense being the problem. I don't think so. This offense would suck at slow speed. The problem is play calling, execution and clock management. Maybe not clock management, as that is a concept that the coaching staff is completely clueless about.

TJ Graham instead of Russell (f-king) Wilson.

that is all.

I lied...that is not all....

Byrd: Go F-ck yourself you greedy c-nt.

Yeah you really told us how you really feel. Alot of hate for Byrd but I totally agree, maybe not too this extent, but I agree nonetheless..

I just want to see evidence of an ability for the coaching staff to adapt to real world conditions. So the hurry up worked for Marrone at Syracuse. Great, but this ain't college.

I think it interesting that with all the fascination with the new hurry up craze, it's only bad teams doing it. The Eagles, Bills, Jaguars. Seahawks don't do it. The Colts don't. Ravens don't. Patsies kindof did it last year, but they also won without it. Maybe it will work, but it's far from proven. But, it did work for Marv!

I see the Kansas City Chiefs go from 2-14 to playoff bound in one year.

And the 49ers turning it around in one year and the Fish worst to first in 2005. Schottenhimer repeatedly turned teams around in one year. A coach rebuilding is rebuilding for the next coach that comes in. I wonder who Marrone is rebuilding for?

I think it interesting that with all the fascination with the new hurry up craze, it's only bad teams doing it. The Eagles, Bills, Jaguars. Seahawks don't do it. The Colts don't. Ravens don't. Patsies kindof did it last year, but they also won without it. Maybe it will work, but it's far from proven. But, it did work for Marv!

You could not be more wrong. The Pats* absolutely do run it, as do the Ravens. Denver runs it. The key is having players who are in sync and executing.

As I see it, the Bills' problem is not pace, it's execution. What we're watching is the result of EJ not having a full training camp and preseason due to his injury -- and, the fact he's a rookie. The players are still developing chemistry. The wisdom of running such an offense with a rookie can certainly be questioned, as can the play calling to date. But I don't believe it's fair to say running an offense at hurry-up pace is, by itself, a mistake.