A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

You could not be more wrong. The Pats* absolutely do run it, as do the Ravens. Denver runs it. The key is having players who are in sync and executing.

As I see it, the Bills' problem is not pace, it's execution. What we're watching is the result of EJ not having a full training camp and preseason due to his injury -- and, the fact he's a rookie. The players are still developing chemistry. The wisdom of running such an offense with a rookie can certainly be questioned, as can the play calling to date. But I don't believe it's fair to say running an offense at hurry-up pace is, by itself, a mistake.

I disagree in the case of this years Bills. So many new faces and coaches. New scheme. As you said, a rookie QB. Suspect OL. The top RB cannot pass block. I think the hurry-up in the Bills current environment is a huge coaching blunder. It is tough enough for a QB to assimilate into the NFL without piling more onto his shoulders.

All the hurry-up has done thus far is to force the defense onto the field far more than they should be. Even suspect offenses like the Jets and going to score if you give them that many chances. Maybe by the end of the season I will be proven wrong and the hurry-up will be working great. But for now it is a disaster.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree in the case of this years Bills. So many new faces and coaches. New scheme. As you said, a rookie QB. Suspect OL. The top RB cannot pass block. I think the hurry-up in the Bills current environment is a huge coaching blunder. It is tough enough for a QB to assimilate into the NFL without piling more onto his shoulders.

All the hurry-up has done thus far is to force the defense onto the field far more than they should be. Even suspect offenses like the Jets and going to score if you give them that many chances. Maybe by the end of the season I will be proven wrong and the hurry-up will be working great. But for now it is a disaster.

stupid question...

What would working great be in your opinion? What about anyone else - your opinion too?

Working great would mean converting 3rd downs and sustaining drives when defenses are on the field successively. To be able to gain 4-7 yards per play would be incredible. I am more optimistic 3-5.5 yards could be achievable. If we can convert 1st and 2nd downs to gained yards I believe 3rd downs will be just the same. And because of that we have to get off the run-run-pass scheme.

It's as if you didn't even read what I typed.

Some complain about the hyper offense being the problem. I don't think so. This offense would suck at slow speed. The problem is play calling, execution and clock management. Maybe not clock management, as that is a concept that the coaching staff is completely clueless about.

Really?

Before this weekend, EJ's completion percentage was high 60s so he can throw the ball accurately.

- If he was under center, he would be forced to work on better footwork. Maybe he can't improve there but he's a hard working serious kid. I think he'd get better.

- If he was under center, the RBs would get the ball with a head of steam instead of standing still.

- If he was under center, the lineman would not be able to rush to the same spot on every play.

- If he was under center, he'd be harder to see coming out of the snap.

- If he was under center, they could roll him out better.

- If he was under center, the lineman could pull more effectively on running plays.

- If he was under center, his play fake might improve.

- If they had more time between plays, maybe the OC could call a better play.

- If they had more time between plays, guys could talk in the huddle about fixing a mistake that just got made on the last play.

- If they had more time between plays, EJ could have more time to read a defense.

- If they had more time between plays, the defense might not have to be on the field so much.

Now, that's not fixing the fact that on every 8 man blitz, the outside WR ran a go route 6 inches from the sideline. And it's not fixing the fact that on the 8 man blitz, they never ran a screen. That's on the OC. And it's not addressing the fact that Colin Brown is not great. But at least just losing the hyper-offense addresses some of the problems.

You could not be more wrong. The Pats* absolutely do run it....

No they don't. Brady runs no huddle sometimes but he uses a ton of time, reads the defense, adjusts the play, etc. Manning too. They are not in the hyper offense mode. They just run a plain old no huddle. Big difference.

Edited by John Adams

No they don't. Brady runs no huddle sometimes but he uses a ton of time, reads the defense, adjusts the play, etc. Manning too. They are not in the hyper offense mode. They just run a plain old no huddle. Big difference.

Yeah they do. There was a stat line on this linked last week where the Bills ranked 1st in the least time between plays the the Pats, Eagles and Broncos followed them up. The Eagles, for all the press, were ranked 3rd I believe.