Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

This is why a team should extend a player while under contract (last season for Byrd and Levitre ) or trade them. There would be no need for a franchise tag unless you only want a player for 1 more year.

Takes two. Neither Byrd or Levitre were intent on missing free agency. Or, as Levitre put it, his "once in a lifetime opportunity."

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the reason behind the IR rules, I was reading recently that it stemmed from protests by some teams in the 1980s (the Niners) that others (the Raiders and I think even the Bills) were stashing promising young players on IR who weren't really hurt. It was a problem and the way to deal with it was to say that if a healthy guy was on IR, he had to be released. Makes a lot of sense, actually. It's the sort of thing that you just know Belichick would exploit if he were allowed to.

The Redskins were the most egregious abusers of the old IR rule. Basically they would tell players they wanted to keep but didn't have room for on the roster "go out and get a concussion," which would be enough to land someone on IR.

The Redskins were the most egregious abusers of the old IR rule. Basically they would tell players they wanted to keep but didn't have room for on the roster "go out and get a concussion," which would be enough to land someone on IR.

Yep. Joe Gibbs led the league in IR designations. Especially OLmen. It was a sad day for Joe when the rules changed.

GO BILLS!!!

Takes two. Neither Byrd or Levitre were intent on missing free agency. Or, as Levitre put it, his "once in a lifetime opportunity."

GO BILLS!!!

Then trade them before the end of Oct while they are under contract.

I don't think you got why homey caught a hard time, cause regardless of how this plays out he had the quote wrong still

Actually I did understand. You guys wanted a source where byrd would be quoted, "I want to be traded". Since that quote/source was not around, the hard time was warranted. I didnt agree with it, but of course I understand.

I dont think you guys understood that the implication was already there by Ian's report or tweet or whatever it was.

Then trade them before the end of Oct while they are under contract.

Most teams are unwilling to give up assets just to rent a player for half a season. It's not easy trading free agents to be.

GO BILLS!!!

In my opinion, he's not even that good. He's had off seasons.

He wants to be paid like the best safety in the nfl?????? Doesnt he have to be the best, to be paid like the best. No one is scared of Byrd. Byrd is a ball hawk. That's about it.

Ronnie Lott is a true blood safety. Byrd???? Not so much.

Byrd is not even on the same page as Revis.

As for Jason Peters, he was/is the real deal. We effed up by not OVERPAYING HIM. Read that carefully.

Doesnt he have to be the best, to be paid like the best.

nope. he doesnt have to be the best, though i think youd be hardpressed to put goldson or weddle head and shoulders above him. simply being around the top of the pack and it being your turn to get a new contract gets you oftentimes paid as the best.

In my opinion, he's not even that good. He's had off seasons.

He wants to be paid like the best safety in the nfl?????? Doesnt he have to be the best, to be paid like the best. No one is scared of Byrd. Byrd is a ball hawk. That's about it.

Ronnie Lott is a true blood safety. Byrd???? Not so much.

Byrd is not even on the same page as Revis.

As for Jason Peters, he was/is the real deal. We effed up by not OVERPAYING HIM. Read that carefully.

Really? Eagles have had one of the worst OLines in football and he is always hurt

I thought that they fixed that scam by requiring IR players to sit out the whole season? Also in the links you provided, there are two IR designations - and the one where you are released is the minor injury one. In any event, putting Byrd on IR if he's not totally hurt would be a very dumb move.

yes, but wouldn't this count as a minor injury given that he's at worst "questionable" on a week-to-week basis?

I don't care how talented he is. Byrd should not be holding the Bills hostage with that piece of sh** Parker telling his client that he deserves better. He is telling us he does not want to be here any longer and That is fine. A player I once thought had a lot of class is showing his true immature petulant colors. His play will be missed the rest not so much. Pound sand Jairus.

I realize that we don't know what goes on at the negotiating table, but isn't anyone here upset at the Bills for failing to reach a long-term deal with Byrd, who is unquestionably one of the team's best young players? So what if he wants to be paid as much as the top two safeties in the league? A lot of people who know what they are talking about think that's exactly what he is. The Bills are well under the salary cap and they make millions in profit every year. Oh, and they regularly squander $$$$$ on stiffs like Fitzpicksix, Merriman, etc. Obviously the Bills think Byrd is a top safety or they would not have used their franchise tag on him, while letting Levitre walk for no compensation. I really don't get it. I wonder if Byrd simply does not want to play for Buffalo at any price. That's the only logical explanation for this ugly situation.

Edited by mannc

Parker wants Byrd to be paid like the best safety in the league. I'd imagine the best safety in the league is worth a mid-first round pick. Otherwise make Byrd play out his franchise deal.

I don't see how Parker and Byrd think they're going to get a trade when Byrd has a lingering injury which is going to plague him all year. Who is going to trade for a player that they're not sure is going to suit up. Get on the field and play well and there might be trade options. Sit on the sidelines and complain and there will be none.

I agree. If he's the best safety in the league... tell Parker to find someone willing to give up a 1st round pick plus mid rounder for him and he can go. If he's the best safety in the league, that should be easy enough. Otherwise he can shut up, play and prove that he IS worth all of that and be gone in Feb.

I agree. If he's the best safety in the league... tell Parker to find someone willing to give up a 1st round pick plus mid rounder for him and he can go. If he's the best safety in the league, that should be easy enough. Otherwise he can shut up, play and prove that he IS worth all of that and be gone in Feb.

Agree 100%, with the key word being "PLAY," which he has barely done since signing the tender.

FWIW, Marrone commented publicly on Byrd today after practice -- said as far as he's concerned Byrd has been a true pro, trying to get himself in condition to get back on the field. Says he's been incredibly helpful with the other DBs as well. Mario made similar comments.

I really think any speculation Byrd has a "bad attitude" is complete hooey. Yes, he's disappointed the contract situation didn't work out differently, and perhaps he did give Parker the go ahead to inquire about trades, but while he's in Buffalo he's going to do his best -- I have no doubt.

I don't resent Byrd trying to get as much money as he can; I'd do the same thing in his position (and so would most of you). But if he fakes an injury or makes more out of a condition than is necessary in order to either "punish" the Bills or to protect his health for the next contract, then he's showing his character and I think most sensible teams in the league will avoid doing business with him. And if he's worried about being injured and diminishing his value, then do what the team does: take out an insurance policy. Duh.

If the Bills want to return the favor and "punish" Byrd, trade him to Jacksonville. Or maybe into the black hole that is Oakland.