Sweet article on Tuel, quotes from his dad

maddenboy

I want a grown-up as my QB. Preferably one who had a 2 parent family.

What the hell does that have ot do with anything. .Plenty of single parent children have grown up and shown how to defeat adversity

that has to be the lamest thing I've read in a long long time

On a national level, people are watching with fascination as this story unfolds. But local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail, and I don't quite understand why.

I'm not real sure what you mean by "fighting it tooth and nail," but if my choices are Manuel or Tuel starting week 1 I sure know what I'm hoping for. What exactly is your point?

4-22 at WSU and then benched in favor of Loebbestal. Who's Loebbestal you ask? Exactly.Tuel Time is a nice kid but you have to learn how to win. I'd rather see Leinart start, he's been a major NFL bust but somewhere in the back of his brain he might remember what winning is like and how to get there.

I'm interested in this 'college record as an indicator or NFL success' idea. Makes me so glad we have Leinart now.

http://msn.foxsports...-starter-082713

FOX Sports: If he wasn't playing football, what would your son be doing right now?

Jeff Tuel, Sr.: "I’d have to say he’d be the No. 1-ranked bass fisherman in the world, or at least working hard to get there."

I love EJ. And wanted him in the 8 slot. He's the future.

But I really really like this Tuel kid.

I want a grown-up as my QB. Preferably one who had a 2 parent family.

I think we're okay at QB.

Wonder if Hernandez grew up with two parents :huh:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I'm not real sure what you mean by "fighting it tooth and nail," but if my choices are Manuel or Tuel starting week 1 I sure know what I'm hoping for. What exactly is your point?

Nah, you just sent me some weeny inter-office memo for speaking my piece. I don't contend when the ground is uneven.

holy crap, what if one parent was white and the other was 'of color'? my goodness this poor kid would never stand a chance as QB......i had to keep going back to the OP to see if he really did type what i thought i saw...and he did...course i see nothing in that article that mentions another parent, so do we really know this kid like we think we know him????? :wallbash:

What does a 2-parent family have to do with NFL QB success?

And would it be okay if the two parents were either both female or both male? Or would that ruin his chances?

Watched Tuels interview yesterday. He was asked about starting against NE. He never batted an eye and never mentioned the team. Said it would be cool to start etc.. for the Bills. I thought was an excellent answer. NE didnt bother him at all. He could be better than we think. Hand off and get the jetters out and than throw to Wood and the backs. He will end up being the number two QB if he does just OK.

Nah, you just sent me some weeny inter-office memo for speaking my piece. I don't contend when the ground is uneven.

Since you've made it public, what I did was ask you to stop behaving like an ass. That has nothing to do with the question I asked you here in the thread. You expect people to be jumping up and down because a story could happen? I'd much prefer a competitive game, but that's just me. So, what was your point?

Since you've made it public, what I did was ask you to stop behaving like an ass. That has nothing to do with the question I asked you here in the thread. You expect people to be jumping up and down because a story could happen? I'd much prefer a competitive game, but that's just me. So, what was your point?

My point is that as a moderator, you shouldn't tell people to back off and then, in the very next breath, bait them. I'd report you to the moderators, but -- as I said and as you can see -- I'm standing on tilted terrain.

4-22 at WSU and then benched in favor of Loebbestal. Who's Loebbestal you ask? Exactly.Tuel Time is a nice kid but you have to learn how to win. I'd rather see Leinart start, he's been a major NFL bust but somewhere in the back of his brain he might remember what winning is like and how to get there.

get your facts right-----Loebbestal was on Wash St from 2008-2011. Tuel was from 2009-2012. In 2009 in was QB by committee--among I think 5 QBs. and 2010 Tuel was the starter, in 2011 Tuel was the starter but got injured playing about 1 game in the season---thus Loebbestal got much of his starts--thus no benching. in 2012 with a new system that Tuel didnt fit he had some problems.

My point is that as a moderator, you shouldn't tell people to back off and then, in the very next breath, bait them. I'd report you to the moderators, but -- as I said and as you can see -- I'm standing on tilted terrain.

I asked you to "cut the argumentative BS." You were goading people earlier in the thread and I asked you to stop. That has nothing to do with what I asked above.

You can ignore the question if you like, but I'm curious what your point was earlier in this thread. How should Bills fans feel about Tuel as a starter week 1? You say we're fighting it tooth and nail and I don't get that.

I asked you to "cut the argumentative BS." You were goading people earlier in the thread and I asked you to stop. That has nothing to do with what I asked above.

You can ignore the question if you like, but I'm curious what your point was earlier in this thread. How should Bills fans feel about Tuel as a starter week 1? You say we're fighting it tooth and nail and I don't get that.

You said this:

What I am addressing is not the hypothetical 'if' but the situation which actually presents itself today: of three Buffalo QB's, two are down and half the board seems to be devoting itself to the disparagement of this kid from Washington State who is going to be handed the ball under very trying circumstances to do the best he can to win a game for the red, white, and Buffalo-blue.

I just don't get all the condescension for one of our own.

By the way, thanks for your interest in my opinion. Whoever you are, you've proven to be a gentleman.

What does a 2-parent family have to do with NFL QB success?

And would it be okay if the two parents were either both female or both male? Or would that ruin his chances?

Haha. I read this thread just to see who would have the first uptight overreaction....

Haha. I read this thread just to see who would have the first uptight overreaction....

Explain to me how asking valid questions based on the OP's statement can be seen as uptight. I don't understand.

You said this:

What I am addressing is not the hypothetical 'if' but the situation which actually presents itself today: of three Buffalo QB's, two are down and half the board seems to be devoting itself to the disparagement of this kid from Washington State who is going to be handed the ball under very trying circumstances to do the best he can to win a game for the red, white, and Buffalo-blue.

I just don't get all the condescension for one of our own.

By the way, thanks for your interest in my opinion. Whoever you are, you've proven to be a gentleman.

I'm not sure that it's condescension as much as a fervent hope that he doesn't have to start. I can tell you that's where I'm coming from.

Explain to me how asking valid questions based on the OP's statement can be seen as uptight. I don't understand.

Go back and read all of your posts in this thread. You seem a little uptight, or maybe you're trying to prove a point. I don't know. It is interesting to see that you took less than two minutes to respond to a post that was basically nothing at all. Then end your post with I don't understand which is a good way to attempt to bait a reaction from someone with whom you disagree...I'll bite. I assume that you are a fairly educate / smart person so I won't venture into this any further. Clearly you can see that I thought it was funny that the PC police jumped on that so quickly. Your attempt to distance yourself from political correctness has already been read and is frankly thin. The research exists concerning the most well adjusted people and the formation of their home in regard to 1 parent or 2 as far as what sex, I cannot speak to that as I don't know. Myself, I am from a single parent home but hwat do I know?

I'm not sure that it's condescension as much as a fervent hope that he doesn't have to start. I can tell you that's where I'm coming from.

Beerball - I agree with you. I am hoping this is just a smoke screen put up by the team. Not that I think it will make any difference but I want to see EJ play regardless of a win or loss.

Go back and read all of your posts in this thread. You seem a little uptight, or maybe you're trying to prove a point. I don't know. It is interesting to see that you took less than two minutes to respond to a post that was basically nothing at all. Then end your post with I don't understand which is a good way to attempt to bait a reaction from someone with whom you disagree...I'll bite. I assume that you are a fairly educate / smart person so I won't venture into this any further. Clearly you can see that I thought it was funny that the PC police jumped on that so quickly. Your attempt to distance yourself from political correctness has already been read and is frankly thin. The research exists concerning the most well adjusted people and the formation of their home in regard to 1 parent or 2 as far as what sex, I cannot speak to that as I don't know. Myself, I am from a single parent home but hwat do I know?

Beerball - I agree with you. I am hoping this is just a smoke screen put up by the team. Not that I think it will make any difference but I want to see EJ play regardless of a win or loss.

I don't know of any research about successful NFL QBs and how many parents they had growing up.

My questions were simple ones and relevant to the OPs statement. They weren't about political correctness; I ask questions when I want to know something that I don't already know.

That was my only motive - to understand what the OP was trying to convey.

There are people at the tops of their professions that came from single parent households.

There are people at the tops of their professions that came from two parent households.

There are people at the tops of their professions that came from interracial parent households.

There will, undoubtedly, be people at the tops of their professions that came from same-sex parent households.

And there are also bad athletes - and bad people, in general - that either have, or will, come from each of those kinds of households.

So the notion that any person in 2013 believes that a person that comes from a two parent household is more likely to be successful in anything - let alone being an NFL QB - well to me, that is ridiculous.

And the fact that he wrote it on the anniversary of Dr. King's speech about our growth as a society could not be more disgustingly ironic.

Your fervent hope doesn't bother me at all; fervent hope is what being a Bills fan is all about! What bothers me is the incessant need, on the part of many, to tear down one of our own in order to prop another one up. That's not necessary, it's not what being a Bills fan is about, and I remain perplexed and a little troubled by it all.

Thanks for listening!

I think it's because everyone likes a good story; especially an underdog story. I think local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail because they know this kid went undrafted for very good reasons. Everyone just wants to find the next Warner or Brady. Someday, that will happen ... but it sure as hell isn't Jeff Tuel.

You don't know that for sure. You may be right, but at this point, you're just spewing out negative nonsense. What good does that do?

If Tuel does turn out to be the "next Warner", you will look like pretty ridiculous. But whatever, there's no law against being a fool.

If you want to get technical, I believe I was the first poster to take issue with the statement regarding parents.

It's not that it's related to P.C. at all, it's more along the lines of brain dead made up excuses for why someone may be more or less successful than someone else. For instance; I can tell you're a woman because of how narrow minded your post is. See what I did?

I come from a single parent home. Regardless of my vast difficulty navigating such a horrific childhood without a drunken woman beating loser to come home to each night and ask for help with my homework (which by the way landed me in and out of jail through most of my teens), I can still throw a football relatively well.

I'm a miracle, though.

FWIW reading that article I don't see any mention of a spouse for the dad or am I missing something? Why assume anything about his family situation beyond the fact he has an involved Dad and "family."

The replies are concerning what the OP "hoped" for, not what the article says.

You don't know that for sure. You may be right, but at this point, you're just spewing out negative nonsense. What good does that do?

If Tuel does turn out to be the "next Warner", you will look like pretty ridiculous. But whatever, there's no law against being a fool.

If Tuel turns out to be the next Kurt Warner, I will be among the happiest fools on earth.

I know there are a lot of discussions regarding our 3rd string QB. Many people here aren't thrilled with him starting against NE week 1. However, I'm one who doesn't mind the idea. I think he has a lot to learn, but I think he has potential. Here's a link from a popular NY Giants forum, I thought I would share.

http://corner.bigblu...2&thread=477990

Edited by cr02pica

interesting that people feel that way, personally I think Manuel is our guy, but would not mind if Tuel turned into that guy, as long as we win....one thing i though was odd

The kid has great NFL QB size (6-3, 218)

218 seems kind of light for a QB, i would think 230-240 at 6-3 would be the ideal size

I know there are a lot of discussions regarding our 3rd string QB. Many people here aren't thrilled with him starting against NE week 1. However, I'm one who doesn't mind the idea. I think he has a lot to learn, but I think he has potential. Here's a link from a popular NY Giants forum, I thought I would share.

http://corner.bigblu...2&thread=477990

Clearly you can see that I thought it was funny that the PC police jumped on that so quickly. Your attempt to distance yourself from political correctness

If the poster had questioned the original post with, "you're a retarded f@g for thinking that a 2 parent household has any relevance to successful QB play" would that have been "non-PC" enough for you? Or would it still have been the "PC police?"

The OP's statement was idiotic. It has nothing to do with political correctness - nothing. Unless somebody can find some evidence that QBs from 2 parent households have absolutely done better than QBs from single parent households then evening bringing the statement into the topic is absurd. I like to think of it more as the idiot police.

Perhaps DC Tom will pipe in here in a minute as I think this is his domain.

What the hell does that have ot do with anything. .Plenty of single parent children have grown up and shown how to defeat adversity

that has to be the lamest thing I've read in a long long time

Its not about defeating adversity.

Its about being balanced, well-rounded, having your head on straight, not believing your own hype.

And yes, I understand the arguments that the PC police will make. Knew it before I posted. But if you are willing to get beyond "newspeak" you will know what I mean, and that its worth something. For a franchise quarterback MUCH more so than for a 4th WR.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/nfl-preview/need-to-succeed-drives-bills-manuel-20130831?two-bills-drive

From EJ Manuel:

“I just think my dad has always brought me up to be a leader as far as the decisions you make in life,” EJ said. “Do the right thing when nobody else is watching.”

“I think a lot of the pitfalls that put guys I grew up with on the wrong path – things that didn’t allow them to get to the next level even though they were maybe talented enough to be here – came from the fact that they didn’t have fathers around,” EJ said in a pre-draft interview with FoxSportsSouth.com. “My main core value is being a follower of Christ – not just saying it, but living it.”

Hell, Tom Brady is one of MY favorite QBs. He's definitely in my top 200.

Kidding aside, I have always found the Patriots difficult to hate. I can hate the Dolphins with ease, as if born into it, because I was. But there is a nagging undercurrent of grudging respect for the Patriots that I just cant break through. They just do shtt smart, and right.

Know what I mean?

Edited by maddenboy