Sweet article on Tuel, quotes from his dad

maddenboy

http://msn.foxsports...-starter-082713

FOX Sports: If he wasn't playing football, what would your son be doing right now?

Jeff Tuel, Sr.: "I’d have to say he’d be the No. 1-ranked bass fisherman in the world, or at least working hard to get there."

I love EJ. And wanted him in the 8 slot. He's the future.

But I really really like this Tuel kid.

I want a grown-up as my QB. Preferably one who had a 2 parent family.

I think we're okay at QB.

Edited by maddenboy

4-22 at WSU and then benched in favor of Loebbestal. Who's Loebbestal you ask? Exactly.Tuel Time is a nice kid but you have to learn how to win. I'd rather see Leinart start, he's been a major NFL bust but somewhere in the back of his brain he might remember what winning is like and how to get there.

Having a strong opinion between Tuel, Leinhert and Webster Lewis as a week 1 starter is a waste of time and based on zero real information at this time.

The facts are not in (including EJ's health)

Edited by Why So Serious?

So what if he had a 4-22 record at college. Trent Edwards also had a lousy win loss record as a college QB.

I couldn't agree more about the relevance of college success--one of the reasons I was hopeful Buffalo would draft Dalton or R. Wilson, one of the reasons I was glad they drafted Manuel.

That said--Buffalo didn't draft Tuel. They burned a third rounder on Edwards. Having Tuel be a viable option THIS YEAR was never the plan.

I couldn't agree more about the relevance of college success--one of the reasons I was hopeful Buffalo would draft Dalton or R. Wilson, one of the reasons I was glad they drafted Manuel.

That said--Buffalo didn't draft Tuel. They burned a third rounder on Edwards. Having Tuel be a viable option THIS YEAR was never the plan.

Disagree.

EVERY player you sign should be considered a "viable" option. Otherwise, why bring him in?

Yes, you dont "plan" for your QBs to go down. But you DO plan to have backups ready, just in case. Whaley coulda signed any of several bums, but he chose Tuel. Not as a favor, but because he thought "ya know, just in case . . . ."

Edited by maddenboy

Disagree.

EVERY player you sign should be considered a "viable" option. Otherwise, why bring him in?

Yes, you dont "plan" for your QBs to go down. But you DO plan to have backups ready, just in case. Whaley coulda signed any of several bums, but he chose Tuel. Not as a favor, but because he thought "ya know, just in case . . . ."

Well, if you want to split hairs about it, fine, you're right. I'm pretty sure you know what I meant, though.

As a big CFB fan I find W-L record somewhat irrelevant with QBs. It is more about the intelligence, focus, attitude, leadership, etc. along of course with the physical ability. You will find many examples of those from big programs, small programs, National Title winners, non-BCS participants, etc who went on to be great NFL QBs. Peyton could never beat Florida, his biggest rival. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Hello. Does anyone know Aaron Rogers' college record? Or care? Andrew Luck lost some tough games in college. Tim Tebow won 2 National Titles and was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. Tuel was on what appears to have been a terrible football team in college. Don't know who his QB coach was, or what he had to work with. You just never know when someone will blossom as a football player. I was so pissed that Ohio State didn't recruit Luke Keuchly who is from Ohio. Why? He was a 3 star who ran a 4.7. Yet he would run circles around the 5 star MLB we had starting when he was at BC. Some guys peak in HS, some in college, and some in the NFL.My point is, guys succeed at different levels for different reasons. Tuel could fall flat on his face and prove he is no where at NFL level. Or, he could actually look good with NFL WRs, OL and coaches. We will see.

Yeah he turned that right around in the pros :lol:

Despite Trent's overall lack of success in both college and the NFL, the guy has managed to hold on to a job every season. Unlike guys like Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart (would have been on his couch if Kolb didn't get hurt), etc. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

As a big CFB fan I find W-L record somewhat irrelevant with QBs. It is more about the intelligence, focus, attitude, leadership, etc. along of course with the physical ability. You will find many examples of those from big programs, small programs, National Title winners, non-BCS participants, etc who went on to be great NFL QBs. Peyton could never beat Florida, his biggest rival. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Hello. Does anyone know Aaron Rogers' college record? Or care? Andrew Luck lost some tough games in college. Tim Tebow won 2 National Titles and was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. Tuel was on what appears to have been a terrible football team in college. Don't know who his QB coach was, or what he had to work with. You just never know when someone will blossom as a football player. I was so pissed that Ohio State didn't recruit Luke Keuchly who is from Ohio. Why? He was a 3 star who ran a 4.7. Yet he would run circles around the 5 star MLB we had starting when he was at BC. Some guys peak in HS, some in college, and some in the NFL.My point is, guys succeed at different levels for different reasons. Tuel could fall flat on his face and prove he is no where at NFL level. Or, he could actually look good with NFL WRs, OL and coaches. We will see.

Notice I didn't say that college success is a guarantee for professional success. Rather, the point was that failing to win in college (as was the case for Tuel and Edwards) doesn't bode well for NFL success.

So, your Tebow argument is irrelevant, Peyton has played precisely the way he has in the pros as he did in college, with a monkey on his back, thanks for making my point for me. Joe Flacco won at Delaware, and Aaron Rodgers won at Cal. Again, what was the point in bringing them up? And we're talking about QB's here, Keuchly doesn't belong in the conversation.

What does a 2-parent family have to do with NFL QB success?

And would it be okay if the two parents were either both female or both male? Or would that ruin his chances?

I'm glad someone else saw this. What in the world does that have to do with anything at all??

Such a mind-numbingly stupid thing to say...

Notice I didn't say that college success is a guarantee for professional success. Rather, the point was that failing to win in college (as was the case for Tuel and Edwards) doesn't bode well for NFL success.

So, your Tebow argument is irrelevant, Peyton has played precisely the way he has in the pros as he did in college, with a monkey on his back, thanks for making my point for me. Joe Flacco won at Delaware, and Aaron Rodgers won at Cal. Again, what was the point in bringing them up? And we're talking about QB's here, Keuchly doesn't belong in the conversation.

My Keuchly point has to do with players blossoming at different times in their careers, as in one level doesn't necessarily predict the other.

4-22 at WSU and then benched in favor of Loebbestal. Who's Loebbestal you ask? Exactly.Tuel Time is a nice kid but you have to learn how to win. I'd rather see Leinart start, he's been a major NFL bust but somewhere in the back of his brain he might remember what winning is like and how to get there.

came into a team that went 2-11 started as a freshman, your not getting out of there with any type of nice looking record. Again QB takes too much blame and gets too much credit.

Nice story seems like a nice kid from a good family. That being said I hope he doesn't start against the Patriots. I hope he doesn't start any games, because if he does it means that Manuel is either injured or a bust. Neither of those thinks are good for the Bills.

Regardless his past experience or skill level, the fact that Tuel could be our starter for game one is becoming big national news. It was even covered on the sports segment of a local news station during drive time in L.A. I could not believe that I was hearing a local sports caster talking about Tuel and the Bills. Of course he referenced it as a pending disaster but the idea the Bills and Tuel would actually get mentioned in this market was amazing to me.

Actually, someone needs to climb off his p.c. hobby horse.

Well, alias, if you choose to go this route, please go into the PPP area and strike up this conversation. The OP mentioned something which I questioned - because, well frankly, it was absurd. There is no hobby horse and there is no insinuation of political correctness or incorrectness. It was a question. Leave it alone or go to PPP.

I did poorly i colege but now I manage a "Every thing's A dolar" store...who's laffing now?

Regardless his past experience or skill level, the fact that Tuel could be our starter for game one is becoming big national news. It was even covered on the sports segment of a local news station during drive time in L.A. I could not believe that I was hearing a local sports caster talking about Tuel and the Bills. Of course he referenced it as a pending disaster but the idea the Bills and Tuel would actually get mentioned in this market was amazing to me.

On a national level, people are watching with fascination as this story unfolds. But local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail, and I don't quite understand why.

On a national level, people are watching with fascination as this story unfolds. But local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail, and I don't quite understand why.

I think it's because everyone likes a good story; especially an underdog story. I think local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail because they know this kid went undrafted for very good reasons. Everyone just wants to find the next Warner or Brady. Someday, that will happen ... but it sure as hell isn't Jeff Tuel.

Well, alias, if you choose to go this route, please go into the PPP area and strike up this conversation. The OP mentioned something which I questioned - because, well frankly, it was absurd. There is no hobby horse and there is no insinuation of political correctness or incorrectness. It was a question. Leave it alone or go to PPP.

Heigh ho, Silver!

I think it's because everyone likes a good story; especially an underdog story. I think local message boards are fighting it tooth and nail because they know this kid went undrafted for very good reasons. Everyone just wants to find the next Warner or Brady. Someday, that will happen ... but it sure as hell isn't Jeff Tuel.

I read your reply, but I'm still wondering why -- when a team has 3 QB's and two go down -- that the nation is pulling for the kid QB but Bills fans aren't? Hmmmm...

I read your reply, but I'm still wondering why -- when a team has 3 QB's and two go down -- that the nation is pulling for the kid QB but Bills fans aren't? Hmmmm...

Because the nation doesn't understand, the way Bills fans do, that this kid sucks.

Easy, Silver. No need for the unbridled anger.

Knock it off, will you? You seem hellbent on portraying me as argumentative or looking for trouble. Get over it, buddy. Cut the crap. This place doesn't work like that.

I've said this before, but this team will achieve success when it stops depending on good stories and starts relying on good players. For too long, we have waited for 7th rounders out of Youngstown State and QBs from the Ivy League and castoffs from arena leagues and graduates of Coe College to be the core of the team. Not contributors, or role players, but to carry the team. Yeah, some are good players, but we have asked too much of too many of them.

That Cinderella complex came about because of really crappy talent evaluation and talent management (which has hopefully improved, but time will tell with Whaley) and a fan base that has spent a decade and more looking up at down. But good stories ain't gonna get it done. We need players.

So Tuel is a great story. I see nothing that says he is a great player, and honestly, no one else has either. Just potential (You remember the Groucho Marx line: "He's got nothing but potential. And little of that.")

EJ's a player. Tuel's a nice story. Let the EJ era begin.

kj