Da'rick Rogers cleared waivers

You can have Manning like talents/ability, but it means absolutly NOTHING if you don't have the right attitude...

Interesting you used Manning as an example. He's the opposite of Rogers. Manning's physical abilities are above average but it's his preparation and mental acuity that make him special. Ryan Leaf was a far better physical specimen but had juju bees for brains.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree; it's not inconsistent at all. The "life decisions" Da'Rick made previously are what Marrone was likely referencing; learning how to be a pro (practice habits, etc.) on the practice squad isn't the same thing.

I agree as well.

His trouble adjusting to the pro game after being at a sub-FBS program last year is not the same as being a bad apple. The stuff about him not paying attention and being a me-me guy is just hearsay, until we see what the PS looks like after Aug 31.

2) He would be expected to play a lot in this final game, so if they are trying to get him onto the practice squad, not being on the team for the 4th game combined with his very limited number of snaps means that there is very little tape on him. Other teams don't know anything about him as a pro, other than that he was one of the first cuts, and he would have very little time to learn a new playbook. Therefore, cutting him now is probably the best way to "sneak" him onto the practice squad, if that's what they are trying to do.

If you recall---last season the same thing was done with Easley. He didn't play much and when he played he wasnt thrown to much. They released him to slip him on the PS.

But---if another team signed him to their PS---Buffalo can freely pluck him from their PS and add him to their 53 man roster without compensation.

the only restrictions on this would be plucking PS players on future opponents. I think if you play them sometime in the next two weeks you cant claim them.

Though again, that's his choice. We hold no rights over him unless he decides to come back. Obviously situations exist where it'd be an easy choice but I was simply pointing out its a choice not just a declaration.

I agree as well.

His trouble adjusting to the pro game after being at a sub-FBS program last year is not the same as being a bad apple. The stuff about him not paying attention and being a me-me guy is just hearsay, until we see what the PS looks like after Aug 31.

I know of at least three times when Da'Rick just flat lost concentration and loafed in the middle of practice and games. It probably happened more than those three, and that was probably too many for Marrone to accept when he is trying to establish his will on a new team. The talent was probably flashed as we have read. He seems like an ideal player to have on the PS and if he begins to show a maturity over the year, perhaps he will be ready late in the season or next year. It's been two years since he has played against top competition, and he didn't really try very hard last year from most reports. He sounds like a great talent and pretty good kid, he just isn't willing to put in the work 100% of the time which is needed to play in the NFL. Maybe the light will go on and maybe it won't.

There are more than a couple instances of players becoming stars after 2-3 years of obscurity. The problem is, do you want to wait until the 2015 for Da'Rick to make an impact or not? Of course, it's impossible to predict how long it will take let alone IF it will ever happen. No one, including the best talent evaluators in the game, have that kind of crystal ball. It's not so clear cut a decision.

Don't forget Danny Amendola, the UDFA Hard Knocks star who was released by the Cowboys...

Though again, that's his choice. We hold no rights over him unless he decides to come back. Obviously situations exist where it'd be an easy choice but I was simply pointing out its a choice not just a declaration.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Bills and Rogers already unofficially agreed that he'd be back on the PS in the likely event that he continues to go unclaimed. We'll know soon enough.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Interesting you used Manning as an example. He's the opposite of Rogers. Manning's physical abilities are above average but it's his preparation and mental acuity that make him special. Ryan Leaf was a far better physical specimen but had juju bees for brains.

I was just using Manning because he is one of the best players in the league for a while

Point is, you can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't care and put in the work to get on the field, its useless.

From what it all sounds like, this kid doesn't have the heart to want to be out there and figures his physical abilities should be enough to make him a star while not having to work for anything. If going through what he has over the last few years hasn't humbled him and made him work harder, its doubtful anything will

so the race begins then.

who will have the best career?

Da'Rick, Woods, Hogan, Easley, TJ, or Goodwin?

I'm going to posit that Da'rick will be in the higher end of this group.

I'll be watching over the next few years anyway,

so the race begins then.

Woods looks like a lock right now.

I'll be pissed if the Bills want to sign him to their PS and he chooses the Dols.

It would suck, but you have to think he's going to make his decision based upon which roster he thinks he could crack first. I'm pretty happy with the six Buffalo kept, so good luck to Da'Rick, regardless.

so the race begins then.

I wouldn't surprise me if Da'Rick had the worste career of any of these. I'll guess he ends up toward the bottom of this list in terms of production (career catches, yards). I'll guess Brooks ends up on top.

Da'Rick has athleticism. He lacks almost everything else a WR needs to excel in the NFL: effort, concentration, diligence, coachability...

Doubtful he gets signed to the PS, given they didn't hold onto him longer. But stranger things have happened, I suppose. I'd be surprised though.

Somebody posted this in another thread, but that fumble return for a TD by the Colts where he just stood and watched and offered no pursuit at all, must have pissed off his coaches. Big time. It's shocking how much that stands out when you are going over the tape in meeting rooms. Couple that with his reported mental lapses in practice and I don't think Rogers adds up to Marrone's kind of player.

GO BILLS!!!

Pat Kirwan mentioned that teams cut a guy early as a smoke screen to sign to the PS later.

Pat Kirwan mentioned that teams cut a guy early as a smoke screen to sign to the PS later.

No doubt that happens on occasion. Maybe this is one of them. But from the time Rogers stood over his teammate and taunted at an OTA and Marrone had to pull him aside, to the mental lapses at camp, and to the complete lack of awareness and hustle on the fumble return against the Colts, I just don't have the impression he is Marrone's kind of player. Like I said, I'd be surprised.

GO BILLS!!!