Da'rick Rogers cleared waivers

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's available to sign to the PS, I think it's a no brained. His skill alone makes him to hard to NOT put on the practice squad. As far as his 'mental' state, it doesn't appear as though he is a cancer to the team.... Maybe getting signed to a practice squad is just one more boot in the ass he needs to take a dose of 'get right'

There were some long time posters on here who thought that there was no way that Rogers would clear waivers.

Let me put it this way.........Jason Peters cleared waivers when the Bills cut him in camp.

And the guy that said they don't have an interest in signing Rogers to the PS because they cut him so early.......Peters was cut early as well.

UDFA's without the requisite reputation/attitude can have a hard time latching on, even if they are highly touted like Rogers and Peters were coming out(yes Peters was one of the marvels of the combine and considered by some a late first to third round prospect, not unlike Rogers).

Peters actually visited the Giants....who passed......and then accepted the Bills offer to join the PS.

I am not sure what will happen with Rogers but people should not be the surprised in the least at how this went down........and it may be in Rogers best interest to stay with the team whose system he knows......if the Bills will have him.

best take on this subject I have read so far .....kudos

If Marrone is still as big of a straight shooter with the media as he was at SU, Rogers will not be a member of the Bills' Practice Squad. Prior to camp Marrone said that Da'Rick had a "one shot" deal:

Bills coach Doug Marrone said the signing of undrafted rookie WR Da'Rick Rogers is a "one-shot deal."

"Either you've learned your lesson and you've grown up and you're going to go forward and mature, or you haven't learned your lesson and you're going to be out on the street," Marrone said. "It's that simple. It's all on you, and you have to make the right decisions.

If Marrone is still as big of a straight shooter with the media as he was at SU, Rogers will not be a member of the Bills' Practice Squad. Prior to camp Marrone said that Da'Rick had a "one shot" deal:

Bills coach Doug Marrone said the signing of undrafted rookie WR Da'Rick Rogers is a "one-shot deal."

"Either you've learned your lesson and you've grown up and you're going to go forward and mature, or you haven't learned your lesson and you're going to be out on the street," Marrone said. "It's that simple. It's all on you, and you have to make the right decisions.

im not sure putting a player on the practice squad would really constitute breaking that statement. its possible he was simply outplayed by a guy like easley but they see long term potential still and the PS would be a part of that first shot.

that said, they are either bluffing big with the early cut hoping others would react as they have and not claim him figuring "something must be wrong" or there actually is something big thats wrong.

Edited by NoSaint

im not sure putting a player on the practice squad would really constitute breaking that statement

I agree; it's not inconsistent at all. The "life decisions" Da'Rick made previously are what Marrone was likely referencing; learning how to be a pro (practice habits, etc.) on the practice squad isn't the same thing.

Since Rogers cleared waivers, would the Bills have first shot of all other teams to put him on their Practice Squad?

hes fully a free agent. we dont just designate guys as PS players, players sign new contracts for it and he can sign one anywhere. we currently hold zero rights to his future.

Since Rogers cleared waivers, would the Bills have first shot of all other teams to put him on their Practice Squad?

No, equal opportunity. If they have an advantage, it's that they've built a relationship with him and he may well have friend/s, housing in the area and want to stay where he is.

You can have Manning like talents/ability, but it means absolutly NOTHING if you don't have the right attitude to use it.

Da'Rick, according to many here, seems to have the ability, but he has an attitude that will never let him show this ability unless he changes it.

He is a waste of a PS spot if he does not come in with a completly new attitude and wants to play harder. Otherwise he just another one of those players who looked good in college but thought that he everything should come easy and not have to work for it when he got to the pros. For a guy who went from a "potential 1st rounder" to an UDFA signed by the lowly Bills, you would think thats enough to motivate someone to straighten up, but from all reports it sounds like it didn't do a thing........

Plain and simple: Marrone does not put up with slackers or those who don't buy into the program. A bunch of kids were cut or left the SU program when he took over. Rogers is an example at the pro level. Has the talent, but not the heart. Standing there during a fumble is inexcusable. Don Beebe should be called to give this kid a good talking to!

I'm not sure if Marrone is the type to give second (or third) chances. If he is, he told Rogers that he blew it, but could end up on the PS, and that is his last chance. If he performs, he could be activated. If not, Rogers is gone already.

At least the Bills did get one undrafted free agent that made the team....his name is Tuel.

Best UDFA signing of the offseason. Didn't we get another WR from UDFA (Kaufman?) I think he performed decently. Would be interesting to see if he is on the PS instead of the more talented Rogers.

You can have Manning like talents/ability, but it means absolutly NOTHING if you don't have the right attitude to use it.

Da'Rick, according to many here, seems to have the ability, but he has an attitude that will never let him show this ability unless he changes it.

He is a waste of a PS spot if he does not come in with a completly new attitude and wants to play harder. Otherwise he just another one of those players who looked good in college but thought that he everything should come easy and not have to work for it when he got to the pros. For a guy who went from a "potential 1st rounder" to an UDFA signed by the lowly Bills, you would think thats enough to motivate someone to straighten up, but from all reports it sounds like it didn't do a thing........

we will see - i think many are forgetting how many reports also had "and connected with rogers on a long ball" in them.

stepping back from being a bills fan and simply as a fan of the game (both on and off the field games that are played) and seeing how the pieces fit together around the league, im curious to see how his story plays out. ive been following it a few years now.

Edited by NoSaint

I can't remember the player, but I believe in the last couple years the Bills released a player in the first round of cuts, like Rogers was, and then signed that player to the PS when it was announced. I could be wrong but I think we did this and it does happen around the league. And teams do try to "sneak" a player onto their PS like that.

I think the PS would be a good spot for Da'Rick, and his release could be a step toward scaring him straight. The fact that he cleared waivers would also lessen the animosity he may have immediately felt for the Bills, if he did, for not keeping him.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Corner-Hangartner-S-Nelson-Roosevelt-headline-cuts/7351d8eb-9793-492e-8aa7-48d37dbc5cf0

I can't remember the player, but I believe in the last couple years the Bills released a player in the first round of cuts, like Rogers was, and then signed that player to the PS when it was announced. I could be wrong but I think we did this and it does happen around the league. And teams do try to "sneak" a player onto their PS like that.

I think the PS would be a good spot for Da'Rick, and his release could be a step toward scaring him straight. The fact that he cleared waivers would also lessen the animosity he may have immediately felt for the Bills, if he did, for not keeping him.

Not sure this will be very helpful (can't find the cutdowns in 2011 except down to 80 on bb.c), but I have that sense too.

Linky Thingy

The players released to get down to 75 in 2012 were the following.

LB Danny Batten

WR David Clowney

DE Sean Ferguson

CB Prince Miller

TE Fendi Onobun

DT Jay Ross

WR Derek Session

DB Nick Sukay

OG Jake Vermiglio

2011's initial Practice Squad:

WR Kamar Aiken, QB Levi Brown, TE Mike Caussin, DE Lionel Dotson, NT Michael Jasper, DB Joshua Nesbitt, C Michael Switzer

To have him in the stable in case a player goes down. To develop him in-house. So a team in our division hungry for a wide receiver doesn't gobble him up. So we don't have to watch him become a superstar elsewhere.

I realize that the likelihood of him becoming a star is low now, that this some serious writing on the wall. But all of this is based on speculation. So !@#$ it. Who gives a ****?

If management thought he had any chance of being a star, we are left with two possibilities.

Either they are stupid for letting him go or stupid for thinking it. Neither one would inspire me on their abilities. More likely is that the player is neither qualified physically nor mentally.

If management thought he had any chance of being a star, we are left with two possibilities.

Either they are stupid for letting him go or stupid for thinking it. Neither one would inspire me on their abilities. More likely is that the player is neither qualified physically nor mentally.

There are more than a couple instances of players becoming stars after 2-3 years of obscurity. The problem is, do you want to wait until the 2015 for Da'Rick to make an impact or not? Of course, it's impossible to predict how long it will take let alone IF it will ever happen. No one, including the best talent evaluators in the game, have that kind of crystal ball. It's not so clear cut a decision.

hes fully a free agent. we dont just designate guys as PS players, players sign new contracts for it and he can sign one anywhere. we currently hold zero rights to his future.

But---if another team signed him to their PS---Buffalo can freely pluck him from their PS and add him to their 53 man roster without compensation.

the only restrictions on this would be plucking PS players on future opponents. I think if you play them sometime in the next two weeks you cant claim them.