Bills plan for Tuel as week 1 starter

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of reminds me when a one Kurt Warner stepped in for the injured Trent Green....

In all seriousness, Tuel starting could be a big lose-lose. If Tuel does really bad, obviously a lose. But if Tuel does really well, then we have a controversy on our hands, potentially screwing up Manuel's head and screwing ourselves again.

Some thoughts going through my mind right now....

- How nice of the NFL to give the Pats a 5th preseason game

- I hope Tuel has some tricks hidden in his Tool belt (corny I know)

- This will be a great test for the Bills coaching staff

- This will be a great chapter in the story of the 2013 Super Bowl champion Buffalo BIlls

CBF

Kind of reminds me when a one Kurt Warner stepped in for the injured Trent Green....

In all seriousness, Tuel starting could be a big lose-lose. If Tuel does really bad, obviously a lose. But if Tuel does really well, then we have a controversy on our hands, potentially screwing up Manuel's head and screwing ourselves again.

The best thing about Manuel - and he has a lot of good qualities as a QB - is that his head does not get "screwed up".

Don't ever worry about that kid's psyche. Worry about the consistency of his throwing mechanics if you want - but he won't fold.

He went back and forth from the bench to the field repeatedly at FSU - first backing up Ponder, then watching the next guy (his name ecapes me, but he was an FSU coach's son) and Manuel was cheering and leading no matter where he was.

Edited by BobChalmers

Did he start week 1? When was Trent Green injured?

In 1998, Warner was finally signed by an NFL franchise, the St. Louis Rams, and was allocated to NFL Europe's Amsterdam Admirals, where he would lead the league in touchdowns and passing yards.[15] Incidentally, his backup at the time was future Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme, another famous rags-to-riches quarterback story. Returning to the United States for the season, Warner spent the 1998 season as St. Louis' third-string quarterback behind Tony Banks and Steve Bono. He ended his season completing only 4 of 11 pass attempts for 39 yards and a 47.2 QB rating.

After releasing Banks and Bono following the 1998 season, the Rams signed free agent Trent Green to be their starting QB, and Warner was promoted to second string. When Green tore his ACL in a preseason game, Warner took over as the Rams' starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

This is out of control. Tuel is what he is, an undrafted rookie QB. He is a 3rd QB/PS type of guy. Lets calm down on the Kurt Warner talk. He has a shot to go out there and avoid mistakes. I am still hoping that EJ is ready. If it is Tuel I hope that he manages the game and develops into a good back up long term. I like what I have seen from him for the most part but lets not get carried away.

Bills were getting 10 points week 1 against the Pats... I just can't bet against them since that would be blood money, but damn that is tempting now.

At times like this when the chips are down & their backs against are against the wall I have learned a long time go to bet the house against the Bills, they usually get their lunch handed to them.

When we drafted EJ, I was hoping that Kolb would do well during camp & preseason and be our opening day starter. And then we could work EJ in when he was fully ready.

Now I'm praying for EJ's knee and really hoping I see him under center against the Pats.

It's curious that Tuel, an UDFA, may be the only rookie QB starting when the 2013 season commences. Football, like life, is so unpredictable.

Geno might have to start in NJ because Rex played his starter in the 4th quarter but yeah, never saw this coming

Truly tho this is just a bad situation. Can't even blame anyone because this is strictly bad luck. My job is to be Mr. 20/20 Hindsight, but I'm not sure I would have done anything differently if I was the Bills.

They knew they couldnt have a 3 way competition for the starting job, not enough reps. So they picked the top guy at mini camp and hoped EJ would win the job. He did, then was hurt. Ok we got a vet back up, he'll be fine, then he possibly ends his career. Its just bad luck.

I have no idea what the game plan is for us but I'm sure bellicheat is just loving this new development.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

The best thing about Manuel - and he has a lot of good qualities as a QB - is that his head does not get "screwed up".

Don't ever worry about that kid's psyche. Worry about the consistency of his throwing mechanics if you want - but he won't fold.

He went back and forth from the bench to the field repeatedly at FSU - first backing up Ponder, then watching the next guy (his name ecapes me, but he was an FSU coach's son) and Manuel was cheering and leading no matter where he was.

That's good to know. I have seen countless QB controversies derail good careers. We all remember Flutie/Johnson, of course. Everybody lost in the end.

PS: Trent Green got injured in the pre-season.