The Ralph will be empty for FIVE straight weeks in Nov/Dec

Just taking a closer look at the schedule and realized that with a late bye week, a game in Toronto and a road trip, we wont be in front of our home crowd for five weeks. Why does it always feel like we get the short of the scheduling stick.

good teams win on the road plain and simple. Also we chose to play in Toronto. We also do not know if the bye week will come at a good time or not so lets all just relax and enjoy some football. Edited by billsfan_34

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You contradict your own position. First you say people will come to cold weather games if the Bills were good. Then you admit that that didn't happen the last time the Bills were good in the 90's.

I don't know how old posters are. I'm 54 and I started going to games in 1969. Some of you may be so young you've never known a Bills team good enough to be in the playoffs.

All I'm trying to do is give perspective. It seems obvious that fans would follow a good Bills team, and they did for a season or two. But people get bored fast and cold faster.

After losing three Super Bowls they had to have Ch.2 buy up the last couple thousand tickets for the 1994 AFC championship against KC so it wouldn't blacked out. How sad is that?

PTR

Umm no I didn't...

I gave reasons why the fact that they didn't sell out in the 90s wouldn't still be true today. It is much easier to get tickets now, it is a much more starved fan base, and the NFL is much more popular now than it was in the early 90s. All of this contributes to the idea that it wouldn't be so difficult (like it was in the early 90s). 20 years is a long time especially if you are trying to pin down fan behavior/attendance.

btw I am old enough to remember when the Bills were good. That doesn't matter. What a better question would be is how many season ticket holders weren't in the early 90s? Their behavior will be different because they are different people! Add in the fact that nobody that is a BIlls fan or ST holder has been to a meaningful game in December in 14 years and it changes the data. People that wouldn't go when it is the 4th straight year of Championship game (and are spoiled by success) probably would bc it has been so long.

good teams win on the road plain and simple. Also we chose to play in Toronto. We also do not know if the bye week will come at a good time or not so lets all just relax and enjoy some football.

Yeah you're right. I mean look at the Pats, open up away against a division foe and then play four days later against a divisional foe. That sucks!

Not sure if this is the thread you're think of...

from the archives....

http://forums.twobil...-are-worthless/

and again from 2011

http://forums.twobil...alph-desperate/

Both of those threads were from November. By which time the Bills were sporting a 3-5 record including losses by 20 to the Jets, 24 to the Pats*, and 42 to the 49ers!

Just taking a closer look at the schedule and realized that with a late bye week, a game in Toronto and a road trip, we wont be in front of our home crowd for five weeks. Why does it always feel like we get the short of the scheduling stick.

Thats because the play offs are going through Buffalo this year !! God has put it all in place, the players , the coach & the fans have always been here !!

He has just looked down & said OK the Bills fans have struggled long enough i will have them change the schedule but i will make it up to them in the post season !!

Don't worry be happy !! GO BILLS !!!!

i chalk this up to the "nfl is always out to screw us" mentality.... we are at home 7 out of 17 weeks on the schedule. there will be times we dont play at home for a couple weeks. if its in september folks will complain about the nfl trying to bury us early, if its in december they are stealing our weather advantage.

as a fan, i wont complain about attending some balmy days with a full stadium that has been outside enjoying their bbq and beer all morning. loud, rowdy, and packed. obviously the first time we are TRULY in the playoff hunt the stadium will be packed in december regardless of weather.... but honestly im not sure a team built around speed, and agility is really at an advantage in the snow anyway.

Edited by NoSaint

You contradict your own position. First you say people will come to cold weather games if the Bills were good. Then you admit that that didn't happen the last time the Bills were good in the 90's.

I don't know how old posters are. I'm 54 and I started going to games in 1969. Some of you may be so young you've never known a Bills team good enough to be in the playoffs.

All I'm trying to do is give perspective. It seems obvious that fans would follow a good Bills team, and they did for a season or two. But people get bored fast and cold faster.

After losing three Super Bowls they had to have Ch.2 buy up the last couple thousand tickets for the 1994 AFC championship against KC so it wouldn't blacked out. How sad is that?

PTR

You have had to go there Promo? How many times do I have to correct you on this. I will do it one more time.

Starting in 1988 - 9 home games that year, 9 sellouts, Averaged a little more then 78K per game

1989 - 8 home games - 6 sellouts. The 2 games that were not sold out were against the Rams on 10/16(76K actual attendance) & Saints 12/10(71K actual attenance). They still averaged 77K per game

1990 - 10 home games, 10 sellouts, average attendance a 77,800

1991 - Once again 10 home games, 10 sellouts including 12/28 meaningless game against the Lions which they drew over 78K. Average attendance just over 78K

1992 - 9 home games 7 sellouts. Only games that did not sellout were 12/12 Broncos game(71K actual attendance) & Oilers Wildcard in which they had less then a week to move probably 30K tickets in inventory. They still got an actual attendance of over 70K that game. They average just a shade over 77K that year per game.

1993 - 9 out of 10 games sold out. Only game that did not was 12/26 game against the Jets in which they still drew over 71K for that game. Average attendance was just under 77K.

1994 - 5 out of the 8 games sold out. 9/26 against Denver, (still got over 75K there), 12/11 against Minn(67K) & 12/18 against NE(57K). 4 straight super bowls & the fans were burnt out. Still averaged 74K actuall attendance per gamewhich had to still put us at the top half of the league.

1995 - 5 out of 8 games sold out - average attendance was still 70K.

1996 - 6 out of 8 games sold out - 11/24 Jets only got 63K & KC 12/22 got 69K. Still averaged 74K.

So as I have pointed out yet again it was not just one or 2 years that the fans supported the team in December. It is pretty obvious, have meaningful games in December & the fans will show up.

Thats because the play offs are going through Buffalo this year !! God has put it all in place, the players , the coach & the fans have always been here !!

He has just looked down & said OK the Bills fans have struggled long enough i will have them change the schedule but i will make it up to them in the post season !!

Don't worry be happy !! GO BILLS !!!!

I recall a playoff game from January in the early 90s where it was in the 60s. :)

You have had to go there Promo? How many times do I have to correct you on this. I will do it one more time.

Starting in 1988 - 9 home games that year, 9 sellouts, Averaged a little more then 78K per game

1989 - 8 home games - 6 sellouts. The 2 games that were not sold out were against the Rams on 10/16(76K actual attendance) & Saints 12/10(71K actual attenance). They still averaged 77K per game

1991 - Once again 10 home games, 10 sellouts including 12/28 meaningless game against the Lions which they drew over 78K. Average attendance just over 78K

1992 - 9 home games 7 sellouts. Only games that did not sellout were 12/12 Broncos game(71K actual attendance) & Oilers Wildcard in which they had less then a week to move probably 30K tickets in inventory. They still got an actual attendance of over 70K that game. They average just a shade over 77K that year per game.

1993 - 9 out of 10 games sold out. Only game that did not was 12/26 game against the Jets in which they still drew over 71K for that game. Average attendance was just under 77K.

1994 - 5 out of the 8 games sold out. 9/26 against Denver, (still got over 75K there), 12/11 against Minn(67K) & 12/18 against NE(57K). 4 straight super bowls & the fans were burnt out. Still averaged 74K actuall attendance per gamewhich had to still put us at the top half of the league.

1996 - 6 out of 8 games sold out - 11/24 Jets only got 63K & KC 12/22 got 69K. Still averaged 74K.

So as I have pointed out yet again it was not just one or 2 years that the fans supported the team in December. It is pretty obvious, have meaningful games in December & the fans will show up.

yet on your list, as someone that doesnt truly care one way or the other, i feel its worth pointing out that the non-sellouts (even if they were well attended) were in fact late season games.

Yeah sometimes people use that argument and it drives me insane. As if people that discovered this board later than others or lurk more than post don't have as valuable an opinion... Welcome to the board. :beer:

It's just the opposite for me. It's more of an embarrassment then a badge of honor. :(

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm a long-standing UK Bills fan. When I retired I saved up my pennies and flew over to see the Patriots game in Sep 2011. Loved the game, the city, the people (and the Philharmonic orchestra concert on the Saturday evening). I've saved up more pennies and booked to fly over for the Jets game on 17 Nov (and a BPO concert the previous evening). I'm hoping that the Bills will still be 'relevant' in some way (hopefully still in Playoff contention) unlike recent Novembers. I'm sure that is the secret to getting fans-on-seats. The (successful) Packers seem to have no problems attracting crowds and I'm told it gets cold in Green Bay!

I'm a long-standing UK Bills fan. When I retired I saved up my pennies and flew over to see the Patriots game in Sep 2011. Loved the game, the city, the people (and the Philharmonic orchestra concert on the Saturday evening). I've saved up more pennies and booked to fly over for the Jets game on 17 Nov (and a BPO concert the previous evening). I'm hoping that the Bills will still be 'relevant' in some way (hopefully still in Playoff contention) unlike recent Novembers. I'm sure that is the secret to getting fans-on-seats. The (successful) Packers seem to have no problems attracting crowds and I'm told it gets cold in Green Bay!

Exactly, same is true in Pittsburgh, etc.... meanwhile in Jacksonville FLORIDA they tarp over half the stadium. It's not the weather, folks. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

He does. many fans complain about late season home games. During my prime we loved December games with 78000 in the stands. Jets in Dec '93. -2 temp;, -30 Wind chill. Of course I couldn't handle that today. I was much younger then!!

That was brutal! Took my son to that game. he hasn't been back since..

Thought for sure Leahy's kick was good to win it for the Jets. Couldn't believe the refs signaled NO GOOD, giving the Bills their 5 Div Title. Warmest I felt all day!

The Bills request to have fewer home games in december because its cold and tough to sell out....

...mainly because the Bills are out of the playoff race the last month of the season. Who wants to freeze their fannies off to watch a bad team play a meaningless game. If the Bills start to win again, that will change.

If that's true, that's ridiculous. When was the last time we were in playoff contention until the end of the season? 2004?

If that's true, that's ridiculous. When was the last time we were in playoff contention until the end of the season? 2004?

I think this was in Losman's 1st year, when we beat Houston and then there was the game against the Titans. If we win that, then we would have been closer to the playoffs. Of course Travis Henry ran roughshod over us at the Ralph to end that dream.

The 2nd would have been the year we started 5-1 with Trent Edwards before the crash. I think we were still in contention with 2-3 games to go.

So go find your own threads to link to...

http://forums.twobil...earch_in=forums

I didn't intend my post to be disrespectful if it came off that way. Just stating that those threads were started after the Bills had already proven to be their same old mediocre selves. I don't need other threads or any for that matter. I'm sure people complained. Just like people complain when it's to sunny outside. :P

you didn't count all of November - theoretically the stadium will be "empty" for 5 of 7 games (8 weeks)

11/03 Kansas City Chiefs 1:00 pm

11/10 @ Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 pm

11/17 New York Jets 1:00 pm

11/24 - BYE

12/01 Atlanta Falcons (Tor) 4:05 pm

12/08 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1:00 pm

12/15 @ Jacksonville Jaguars 1:00 pm

12/22 Miami Dolphins 1:00 pm

12/29 @ New England Patriots 1:00 pm

the Bills might vacation in Florida between Tampa and Jax saves an extra road trip

Living in Fl, I like the schedule. I'll be going to both the Bucs and Jags games. Haven't seen them live in a few years. I hope SJ tears Revis up again.

PTR

Umm no I didn't...

I gave reasons why the fact that they didn't sell out in the 90s wouldn't still be true today. It is much easier to get tickets now, it is a much more starved fan base, and the NFL is much more popular now than it was in the early 90s. All of this contributes to the idea that it wouldn't be so difficult (like it was in the early 90s). 20 years is a long time especially if you are trying to pin down fan behavior/attendance.

btw I am old enough to remember when the Bills were good. That doesn't matter. What a better question would be is how many season ticket holders weren't in the early 90s? Their behavior will be different because they are different people! Add in the fact that nobody that is a BIlls fan or ST holder has been to a meaningful game in December in 14 years and it changes the data. People that wouldn't go when it is the 4th straight year of Championship game (and are spoiled by success) probably would bc it has been so long.

The stadium held approximately 7,000 more seats in the early 90's. The club seats weren't even around. It's much easier to sell out now then it was then.

Here's some pertinent information:

The last time the Bills hosted a late season game that had great significance was on January 2, 2005. It was the infamous "Steelers Scrubs" game, the regular season finale where the Bills needed to win to have a chance at getting into the playoffs.

Stadium Capacity at that time was 73,967 (2001-2007)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wilson_Stadium#Seating_capacity

Attendance that day was 73,414.

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2005010208

I truly believe that unlike in the 90s that this fanbase does not take the team for granted anymore and understands what is at stake if the team is not supported to a reasonable degree.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/67152760/11-28-russ-brandon-discusses-ticket-sales.htm

"December has always been a challanege in this market, for whatever reason...."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/11/15/Franchises/Bills.aspx

"Bills CEO Russ Brandon said, “It's a proven fact that in December in Buffalo, it's difficult to attain sellout status at our facility. December games are a challenge. But competitively, there's no place we'd rather play meaningful games than at home in front of our fans.”

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/18/4240936/bills-2013-schedule-set-up-to-avoid-blackouts

"In 2012, the Bills had three games at Ralph Wilson Stadium during December. Not surprisingly, all three would have been blacked out had a local business owner not purchased 10,000 tickets for the game against the St. Louis Rams. Despite their fandom, many casual and diehard Bills fans find it hard to make it to an open air stadium in the middle of December in uncomfortable weather conditions."