If (as advertised) it's a fair fight, then Tuel is winning.

alias

Anyone else think that this thread will look even dumber in November than it does now (if that's even possible)? I mean after 1 preseason game where your 1st round QB goes 16-21 for 107 yards, a TD and a 102.7 rating, you really should consider starting the undrafted rookie QB that you signed.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank-you. Seems we have a fair amount of naive newbies who don't understand where and when position battles are won.

This might be a new record for starting a QB controversy though. Two rookies who've never seen a snap of time in an NFL game.

I remember when our fans were among the more knowledgeable in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I dunno if Bills fans were ever much more knowledgeable than NFL fans in other cities.

I'm flabbergasted that no one has mentioned this in 9 pages but there was always a few people who thought that Frank Reich should have started ahead of Jim Kelly.

You can always tell who wants a QB in the 1st and who didn't. The difference is the EJ has a ceiling about 45 floors higher than Tuel's. I like Tuel and think that he has had a great camp. I for one am in favor of starting the guy that coul develop into Cam Newton not the guy that could develop into Matt Flynn.

If Tuel played to 100% of his potential and EJ underachieved by a wide margin, there's a chance that Tuel would become the better QB.

But EJ has more talent in one of his clipped and discarded fingernails than Tuel does in his whole body. That's not meant as a knock on Tuel but rather a glowing endorsement of EJ. I like Tuel and he looks good to me but EJ has a chance to become an elite QB.

In four years at WSU, Tuel played in 31 games, with 26 starts, and threw 33 TD passes against 25 ints. He was benched in his senior season, and then was undrafted. He has played well as a prospect, but has never even played against second stringers.

Here is a seemingly accurate scouting report on him.

http://www.nationalf...ml&player=42701

That scouting report seems a bit harsh to me. That said, EJ's early completion to TJ Graham and his TD pass to Dickerson were the kind of passes that we haven't seen thrown by a Bills QB in decades.

With the flick of his wrist, EJ throws a better ball than Fitz did with his full windup.

By all means give Tuel more first team reps (Kolb's) but the EJ express is on schedule and there's no reason to slow it down.

It would be a waste to give 1st team reps to tuel right now. If we spread them out to 3 qbs, we won't have a qb ready for weak 1. I don't see the point of giving the 3rd string qb 1st team reps when the other qb has done well. All that is going to do is bring a circus, have people doubt EJ, media/fans complaining that they are wasting EJ, all on a slim chance that tuel might outplay EJ vs starting nfl talent. If EJ played poorly, and tuel did amazing, I could understand that. But tuel did not outplay EJ on Sunday. All tuel did was do better than expected and might have earned a roster spot. But he did not outplay EJ

I was very pleased with Joe cool Tuel personally Alias.

Glad to have him on the team . smart and confident .

Hope we can keep him stashed either on ps this year or as the 3rd as Coach Marrone sees fit.

I love the kid for taking advantage during camp and the 1st preseason game.

Go Tuel!

It would be a waste to give 1st team reps to tuel right now. If we spread them out to 3 qbs, we won't have a qb ready for weak 1. I don't see the point of giving the 3rd string qb 1st team reps when the other qb has done well. All that is going to do is bring a circus, have people doubt EJ, media/fans complaining that they are wasting EJ, all on a slim chance that tuel might outplay EJ vs starting nfl talent. If EJ played poorly, and tuel did amazing, I could understand that. But tuel did not outplay EJ on Sunday. All tuel did was do better than expected and might have earned a roster spot. But he did not outplay EJ

well i love an argument. in the game he did outplay Manuel sunday.

That may not ever happen again, but god bless the kid and the coaching staff for letting him shine. he has had a good camp as a 3 and a darned nice first NFL preseason game. give the kid some props for his work instead of knocking him down people. Aren't we BILLS fans ?

yes we are !

I generally agree with you, with one exception. I thought Tuel outplayed EJ on Sunday, but I concede that it was against lesser competition than what EJ faced. Still, I think you have to give the 1st team reps to EJ. I just kinda wish that Tuel could take more of the reps from Kolb.

Don't start with that Tuel lover ****. People like you always start this crap. RJ vs Flutie etc. Tuel is a BUFFALO BILL and if he is the best QB then he deserves to play.

Are you guys still after all these years so freaking childish you need your guy to win the job even if he might not be the best guy? Let Tuel take 1st team reps and see how he does. Let the chips fall how they will. I love the EJ pick I hope he wins us a superbowl, but if for some reason he is really #2, then I want the best option playing for the BILLS.

^ this.

But its the same crap we have put up with since Kelly retired. Fans root for a certain person instead of the TEAM. What is best for TEAM is put the best players out there regardless of fan love or draft position. I personally think EJ is going to be great, Kolb is a joke and we need to cut his ass and his big salary. Give Tuel some shots with first team against first team and let it play out as it plays out.

Reality is Tuel will never get a shot. This front office is under fire for not finding a franchise QB and God forbid the Fanchise QB NOT be the guy they were ripped by the media for taking so high in the first round.

I gotta say 13+ years of no playoffs isn't a shock when not only do you see the joke of ownership, front office and coaching, but the fanbase as well.

Is this conversation a real thing? We are not even halfway through the PRE-season and people are already calling for the third string UDFA to be the starting QB? Wow. How about we see how our first round pick who looked pretty good works out before we start picking up the torches and pitchforks?

Is this conversation a real thing? We are not even halfway through the PRE-season and people are already calling for the third string UDFA to be the starting QB? Wow. How about we see how our first round pick who looked pretty good works out before we start picking up the torches and pitchforks?

How about we wait and see about all of them and let Coach sort it out.

Nice to have some competition though for a change whether real or perceived imho.

Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

Not a Tuel Fan, but I liked what he did last Sunday. IMO, he could turn into a very reliable backup if he keeps working. (shades of Frank Reich?)

I'd love it if he could be our human victory cigar... "Tuel time" could be the point in the 4th quarter when we're up by 5 TD's, and need a guy to work the clock....

I generally agree with you, with one exception. I thought Tuel outplayed EJ on Sunday, but I concede that it was against lesser competition than what EJ faced. Still, I think you have to give the 1st team reps to EJ. I just kinda wish that Tuel could take more of the reps from Kolb.

Agree with you on that. On one hand it is riskier to knock out Kolb and give more reps to tuel. But on the other hand, it would be a bold move that I think will be worth it.

But as far as the grading goes with the QBs, I still give the edge to EJ because he played the 1st and 2nd stringers compared to beating up on people who won't be in the bel next month. If we did switch them, and tuel did reps with the first team, EJ would destroy the 3rd and 4th stringers, which is a safe assumption. I just don't see the justification of tuel bring ahead of EJ. I can see Kolb in a way, but not EJ. Technically, Easily outplayed every receiver, if you go by that measuring stick , and he is lucky if he makes the team.

give the kid some props for his work instead of knocking him down people. Aren't we BILLS fans ?

yes we are !

I did give him props and I didn't "knock" him down. You must have been looking at another post

to put it all into perspective, given what i've seen up until now, here is how i rate the qb competion:

EJ Manuel has not yet secured the starting job to open the season.

he's shown enouraging signs of his potential, but he's been far too inconsistent.

Kevin Kolb has been the more polished player in facing the Bills first team defense. he enjoyed his best practice on Aug. 2, a day before he twisted his left knee. And he was teh best qb yesterday in running the offense, essentially picking up from where he left off,. i'll be curious as to how Kolb does in the next two preseason games.

as for Tuel: he's continued to lock up his spot as a No. 3.

jw

Lets relax here fellas on this Tuel-Time. I believe he has some talent but not nearly enough to justify replacing much needed snaps for EJ. I mean we got to play the Pats in week one, EJ needs all the work he can get in before the real bullets start flying vs our hated rivals and that game is what are need to be worried about .

I believe the Bills organization finally, FINALLY have gotten it right with this New coaching staff and GM.. I mean its like breathing in fresh air for the very first time since being BORN!!! The DOUG`S have done nothing but good things since taking over for those old traditionalists that we had running our beloved Bills in previous yrs.. Out with the old in with the new baby!!!.. SO in the DOUG`s i Trust..

Besides Jeff Tuel played not only against 3rd and 4th stringers, he played against 3rd and 4th stringers that were totally not PREPARED for our new speed offense.. Who knows what the Colts coaching staff was thinking or even if they even tried to call the right defenses they couldn`t make there subs in on time.

Tuel Time in the Shed was great and that`s were we need to leave him, in the shed until we need to use his Tuels. He is a perfect backup that has potential to blossom into a starting QB down the road. Maybe even trade bait if we are lucky.. In case some of u didn`t know Tuel was considered injury prone in college. He was never healthy.. Lets not try to ruin him. Instead let him develop his game and his body with time just like Tom Terrific but instead it can be TUEL TIME!!!

Lifes not fair..EJ will be our starter sooner or later, the only person that is realistically going to beat him out of that spot is himself. He was a first round draft pick he will be put in as a starter at some point and he will stay there until an injury or they are forces to bench him.

Coach Marrone was emphatic about letting the results determine who starts. Right now, if we knew nothing about draft position, veteran experience, and all that blah-blah, then Tuel is ahead in this fight.

If the argument against Tuel is, "But he's playing against third stringers," then let him start against the first stringers and let us see what we shall see...

"Fair" should be fair.

:thumbsup:

I do recall being on the Tuel bandwagon before camp started :ph34r:

to put it all into perspective, given what i've seen up until now, here is how i rate the qb competion:

EJ Manuel has not yet secured the starting job to open the season.

he's shown enouraging signs of his potential, but he's been far too inconsistent.

Kevin Kolb has been the more polished player in facing the Bills first team defense. he enjoyed his best practice on Aug. 2, a day before he twisted his left knee. And he was teh best qb yesterday in running the offense, essentially picking up from where he left off,. i'll be curious as to how Kolb does in the next two preseason games.

as for Tuel: he's continued to lock up his spot as a No. 3.

jw

Thanks jw. All along I've felt that in order for Kolb to win the starting job he has to significantly outplay Manuel, because if they're close why wouldn't you let EJ learn on the job given his superior physical tools? Despite Kolb's "polish" it doesn't appear there is that much of a gap right now -- would you say this is accurate?

I agree it will be interesting to see both QBs in the next two games, and that all of the Tuel-Talk is amusing but not particularly relevant to the question of who will be Buffalo's next starting QB.