Glenn to LG

I am still confused about all of this, but I have a feeling long-term that Glenn ends up being a left guard. I am surprised that we did not draft an OT in the last draft. It was a good group and fairly deep.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sure glad we let Levitre go.

He won't be the last either. Watching camp fodder dumpster diving in full swing here. It's really hard to differentiate the FO changes if any at this point.One wonders how much power Whaley has in putting a decent roster together. WE don't even have an al purpose TE. How long has it been without a stud TE now?

Certainly the Bills are not tooling up for a potential play off run, by signing players like a D-Back on his 7th team in 3 years.

Am I crazy to point out that Hairston has looked pretty lousy in pretty much every game he has played? He's not very agile.

Ai yi yi. This doesn't look good. We're moving in our penciled-in starting LT to LG because a) he's not performing well at LT and b) our LG situation is a disaster. There's no sugar coating it. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Plus I simply don't buy the theory that it's just an experiment. I'll believe that when I see Joe Thomas and Duane Brown practicing at the LT spot. Good LTs don't do that, as everyone here knows.

Edited by dave mcbride

Am I crazy to point out that Hairston has looked pretty lousy in pretty much every game he has played? He's not very agile.

Ai yi yi. This doesn't look good. We're moving in our penciled-in starting LT to LG because a) he's not performing well at LT and b) our LG situation is a disaster. There's no sugar coating it. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Is this a repeat of the jerry crafts RT experiment?

Glenn to LG would make a lot of sense. He has been struggling at LT during camp, the LGs are stinking and Glenn was projected as a LG coming out of college. The only problem is that the LT prospects behind Glenn are terrible.

Seems like Marrone is making things clear in his quotes:

http://www.buffalobi...4d-56d937c1b105

“We took Cordy Glenn and we moved him inside,” said Marrone. “The reason why is we’re not experimenting with him not being the left tackle. We know that down the road from now with dressing seven linemen (on game days) we’ll have a swing inside player and a swing outside. A swing tackle and a swing center-guard."

Sounds like (a) Glenn is the LT for the long-haul and (b) they plan to dress 7 linemen, not keep 7 total linemen on the roster

Unless the 8th guy looks really good, if they're planning on just dressing 7 linemen on gameday, why keep 8 on the roster? If there's an injury, you can't play the 8th guy anyway, but you can sign or elevate him after the game.

I am still confused about all of this, but I have a feeling long-term that Glenn ends up being a left guard. I am surprised that we did not draft an OT in the last draft. It was a good group and fairly deep.

At the expense of.... Qb? MLB?

Unless the 8th guy looks really good, if they're planning on just dressing 7 linemen on gameday, why keep 8 on the roster? If there's an injury, you can't play the 8th guy anyway, but you can sign or elevate him after the game.

You could say the same about all the guys 45-53 on the roster, no?

Marrone already said it was just for today. Glenn will not be there anymore Marrone said, he was only trying to look at who could play swing guard.

Edited by BuffaloFood

You could say the same about all the guys 45-53 on the roster, no?

It largely depends on whether the 6 guys you'd keep inactive on game days have good potential and a high likelihood of being lost to another team.

It largely depends on whether the 6 guys you'd keep inactive on game days have good potential and a high likelihood of being lost to another team.

Or ps eligibility, I guess. It just struck me as an "of course, that's true at every position" kind of statement. It's the battle that exists annually with lineman 8/9, qb 3, WR 6/7 - and likewise the other side of the ball, all dying to get league minimum instead of ps peanuts. Realistically I think you want 9-10 OL in your system at any given time, how the ones not dressing split up between practice squad and simply inactive on game day being the coach and gms call based on the individual skill, roster depth (can you afford to lose them), and climate around the league.

So they're practicing for the case of two guards going down?

Not necessarily. If your backup OT is better than your backup OG, then you slide Glenn inside and bring out the backup OT to ensure you have the best 5 out there.

Marrone already said it was just for today. Glenn will not be there anymore Marrone said, he was only trying to look at who could play swing guard.

he made sense when he said about the situation. but this sure has created a stir around here hasnt it ?

i would gues this practice presented the opportunity to cross train and feel them out. everything is installed so , how much value can Glenn bring to the LG and how much does Welch to to the blind side. Nota a bad way to proceed if actually the case

Not necessarily. If your backup OT is better than your backup OG, then you slide Glenn inside and bring out the backup OT to ensure you have the best 5 out there.

great point coach !

Plus I simply don't buy the theory that it's just an experiment. I'll believe that when I see Joe Thomas and Duane Brown practicing at the LT spot. Good LTs don't do that, as everyone here knows.

Or some fans could be reading waaay too much into it. Sometimes trying a player out is just trying a player out. That's not sugar coating it. That's the simple reality of the situation. People are going to run with the news and twist it to fit whatever agenda they need to.

Sure they aren't happy with the LG situation, that much is obvious. But they dug their own grave with that maneuver. Not so much in letting Levitre go (he was extremely overpaid and not worth the money he got), but in their insistence on doing nothing during free agency to bolster the position. There were plenty of decent OGs on the market and they chose to ignore all of them.

Good OTs don't typically move, but Glenn isn't nearly as good of an OT as Thomas.

He won't be the last either. Watching camp fodder dumpster diving in full swing here. It's really hard to differentiate the FO changes if any at this point.One wonders how much power Whaley has in putting a decent roster together. WE don't even have an al purpose TE. How long has it been without a stud TE now?

Certainly the Bills are not tooling up for a potential play off run, by signing players like a D-Back on his 7th team in 3 years.

You mean it's hard to identify the front office change outside of:

The new coaching staff

The new director of college scouting

The new director or pro personnel

The new franchise QB they drafted

The fact that they are seemingly willing to deft guys that aren't choir boys

Ah forget it

This

This sounds like one of those things a typical pro OL would B word about at work- "how come these mensans never try moving us around in case someone gets hurt?" Like something Marrone himself may have thought when he was playing OL..

This sounds like one of those things a typical pro OL would B word about at work- "how come these mensans never try moving us around in case someone gets hurt?" Like something Marrone himself may have thought when he was playing OL..

you said mensans . Are they bleeding again. LOL to myself