Glenn to LG

Pre-draft, several of us floated the idea of moving Glenn to LG if they chose to draft one of the premier Ts in an a OL-heavy draft. That would have upgraded both positions, LT and LG.

If the Bills are really keeping only 7 OL (and man, I think that's risky), at least two of them have to be swing players. Glenn is the obvious choice as he has experience at both positions.

Before he got hurt last year, Glenn was developing nicely and more than holding his own in the pass blocking aspects. But he was brilliant as a run blocker, consistently getting to second and even third level blocks down field. Look at the KC game for an example.

He is BY FAR our best LT in camp and I'd be shocked if this were a permanent move in the absence of another deal or signing being made for a player to come in.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you have to look at what positions you have to backup and the different scenarios that can happen..

Assume that you keep a backup T and a backup G/C.

1) Lose a T, the backup T comes in.

2) Lose a G, the backup G comes in.

3) Lose a C, the backup G/C comes in.

Those are the easy scenarios.

The double contingencies:

1) Lose 2 G's - move a starting T to G and use both your backups..

2) Lose a G & C - .move starting T to G and play backup G/C at C.

3) Lose 2 T's - fill from FA or PS.

4) Lose a T and G - play backups

5) Lose a T & C - play backup T and backup G/C

Here's an another thought: If you keep 2 backup tackles, you are looking at the following:

1) Lose a G - Move a starting T to G, and backup T

2) Lose a C - Move a starting G to C, a starting T to G and a backup T

3) Lose a T - play the backup T

Double contingencies:

1) Lose 2 T - play backup T's

2) Lose 1 T and 1 C - Move starting T to G, and starting G to C, and play backup T

3) Lose 2 G's - Move starting T to G, and pick up a G or C from FA or PS

4) Lose a T & G - Move starting T to G and play backup

5) Lose a G & C - move starting T to G, play backup T and pick up a G or C in FA or from PS

Either a backup T & G combo or a 2 backup T combo leaves you with a hole in a double contingency situation. Which hole do you prefer?

Edited by Joe Miner

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-draft, several of us floated the idea of moving Glenn to LG if they chose to draft one of the premier Ts in an a OL-heavy draft. That would have upgraded both positions, LT and LG.

If the Bills are really keeping only 7 OL (and man, I think that's risky), at least two of them have to be swing players. Glenn is the obvious choice as he has experience at both positions.

Before he got hurt last year, Glenn was developing nicely and more than holding his own in the pass blocking aspects. But he was brilliant as a run blocker, consistently getting to second and even third level blocks down field. Look at the KC game for an example.

He is BY FAR our best LT in camp and I'd be shocked if this were a permanent move in the absence of another deal or signing being made for a player to come in.

GO BILLS!!!

At the time, I was strongly opposed to the idea of the Bills using an early pick on a LT. But now that I've had the chance to think things over, I'm not as sure.

Before his injury, Glenn was off to a very good start. After he returned from injury, not so much so. One explanation for that is that he was still playing hurt even after returning from his injury; thus diminishing his play.

For his first few games as a Bill, Mario Williams produced almost nothing. Part of that was because of the wrist. But part was because of the replacement refs. The less enforcement of the rules there is, the more that helps offensive line in its war against the defensive line. If the offensive linemen facing Williams benefited from the lack of officiating, might Glenn have benefited also? Might those first few games have been a fluke, or a one-shot deal caused by the replacement refs?

Hopefully Glenn improves, and overcomes the problems he experienced last year after returning from his injury, and this year in practice. But there's a significant chance he might not; in which case he may be better-suited for LG or RT than he is for LT.

What is your opinion of Hairston at LT?

I think you have to look at what positions you have to backup and the different scenarios that can happen..

Here's an another thought: If you keep 2 backup tackles, you are looking at the following:

Double contingencies:

2) Lose 1 T and 1 C - Move starting T to G, and starting G to C, and play backup T

3) Lose 2 G's - Move starting T to G, and

3a) pick up G from FA or PS

3b) move starting C to G and pick up C from FA or PS

Either a backup T & G combo or a 2 backup T combo leaves you with a hole in a double contingency situation. Which hole do you prefer?

Jeez. Shades of the "Disaster Quarterback" year of 1968 when we lost 4 quarterbacks and Ed Rutkowksi ended up starting. Ed Rutkowski!

Theoretically, you'd need 5 backups for each position. I can't remember the last time we or anyone else kept 10. Like bandit said, I'd prefer 9 with a minimum of 8. But they're saying they're gonna keep 7? Regardless of how many swing players you have or can hope to develop, that just won't be enough is any of the catastrophic scenarios comes to pass.

It's always a crap shoot because you're always only one play away from disaster.

GO BILLS!!!

Jeez. Shades of the "Disaster Quarterback" year of 1968 when we lost 4 quarterbacks and Ed Rutkowksi ended up starting. Ed Rutkowski!

Theoretically, you'd need 5 backups for each position. I can't remember the last time we or anyone else kept 10. Like bandit said, I'd prefer 9 with a minimum of 8. But they're saying they're gonna keep 7? Regardless of how many swing players you have or can hope to develop, that just won't be enough is any of the catastrophic scenarios comes to pass.

It's always a crap shoot because you're always only one play away from disaster.

GO BILLS!!!

7 makes me wince.

At the time, I was strongly opposed to the idea of the Bills using an early pick on a LT. But now that I've had the chance to think things over, I'm not as sure.

Before his injury, Glenn was off to a very good start. After he returned from injury, not so much so. One explanation for that is that he was still playing hurt even after returning from his injury; thus diminishing his play.

For his first few games as a Bill, Mario Williams produced almost nothing. Part of that was because of the wrist. But part was because of the replacement refs. The less enforcement of the rules there is, the more that helps offensive line in its war against the defensive line. If the offensive linemen facing Williams benefited from the lack of officiating, might Glenn have benefited also? Might those first few games have been a fluke, or a one-shot deal caused by the replacement refs?

Hopefully Glenn improves, and overcomes the problems he experienced last year after returning from his injury, and this year in practice. But there's a significant chance he might not; in which case he may be better-suited for LG or RT than he is for LT.

What is your opinion of Hairston at LT?

It's never a fluke when your left tackle is making blocks 10 or 20 yards down field. He may have benefited from some non-calls (what OLman doesn't), but he was playing very well, regardless and in all aspects. When he locks up on you, you're finished. And when he was getting beat by a speed rusher, those abnormally long arms did very well to compensate. He just wasn't the same after his injury and I attribute that to the nature of high-ankle sprains.

My opinion of Hairston at LT is that, while he is not as good as Glenn yet, it's a question of getting your 5 best linemen out there as mentioned above. If he's one of them, they need to find a spot.

GO BILLS!!!

7 makes me wince.

I know. But that was in the tweet from the Bills up thread so well...there ya go.

GO BILLS!!!

Seems like Marrone is making things clear in his quotes:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Practice-Notes---Aug-7th/8b626b7f-1c81-4b13-a14d-56d937c1b105

“We took Cordy Glenn and we moved him inside,” said Marrone. “The reason why is we’re not experimenting with him not being the left tackle. We know that down the road from now with dressing seven linemen (on game days) we’ll have a swing inside player and a swing outside. A swing tackle and a swing center-guard."

Sounds like (a) Glenn is the LT for the long-haul and (b) they plan to dress 7 linemen, not keep 7 total linemen on the roster

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Practice-Notes---Aug-7th/8b626b7f-1c81-4b13-a14d-56d937c1b105

“We took Cordy Glenn and we moved him inside,” said Marrone. “The reason why is we’re not experimenting with him not being the left tackle. We know that down the road from now with dressing seven linemen (on game days) we’ll have a swing inside player and a swing outside. A swing tackle and a swing center-guard."

Sounds like (a) Glenn is the LT for the long-haul and (b) they plan to dress 7 linemen, not keep 7 total linemen on the roster

Possibly stash a few backups on the practice squad

Possibly stash a few backups on the practice squad

Probably going to have to...

If the starters are Glenn-Legursky/Brown-Wood-Urbik-Pears, then you have to figure Hairston, Legursky/Brown, and Young as backups. That leaves one roster spot for Caldwell, Sanders, Welch, Snow, Hills.

Hey, remember when it looked like Levitre was getting "demoted" and pulled out by Chan last camp? The same Levitre that just got top OG money?

Teams try things out in camp. Come back on opening day with this stuff - right now it's no more than an opportunity for idiots to say "I told you so" with little to actually back it up.

http://www.buffalobi...4d-56d937c1b105

Makes all the difference in the world. I must have misunderstood the tweet or should have questioned it immediately.

GO BILLS!!!

Fast offenses need to have great protection in the middle.

These quick passing plays can be devastated by pressure in the QBs face.

If you get the ball out in under 2 seconds, pressure from the blindside doesn't matter. Plus in 1995 you could give the QB the business late but in 2013 if the ball is out of the QBs hand you better not breathe on him or its a flag.

Its the New NFL and LT and the "blindside" is becoming less important (still important)

Lugursky sucked his whole career and Colin Brown is a nobody.

If this Thomas Welch Character can play decent Left Tackle you know Glenn will lock down the LG spot. It could help.

Or they are just tinkering, who knows.

4) Lose a T and G - play backups

5) Lose a T & C - play backup T and backup G/C

Double contingencies:

3) Lose 2 G's - Move starting T to G, and pick up a G or C from FA or PS

4) Lose a T & G - Move starting T to G and play backup

5) Lose a G & C - move starting T to G, play backup T and pick up a G or C in FA or from PS

Excellent work. Seriously Excellent.

http://www.buffalobi...4d-56d937c1b105

So they're practicing for the case of two guards going down?

Well I guess this also kinda practice if Glenn gets injured too.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Fast offenses need to have great protection in the middle.

These quick passing plays can be devastated by pressure in the QBs face.

If you get the ball out in under 2 seconds, pressure from the blindside doesn't matter. Plus in 1995 you could give the QB the business late but in 2013 if the ball is out of the QBs hand you better not breathe on him or its a flag.

Its the New NFL and LT and the "blindside" is becoming less important (still important)

Lugursky sucked his whole career and Colin Brown is a nobody.

If this Thomas Welch Character can play decent Left Tackle you know Glenn will lock down the LG spot. It could help.

Or they are just tinkering, who knows.

Excellent work. Seriously Excellent.

So they're practicing for the case of two guards going down?

Well I guess this also kinda practice if Glenn gets injured too.

I read it more along the lines of trying to see who they are comfortable with in even the most dire scenario...I like the idea of having planned for the disaster scenario before it happens.

I thought the NFL general rule of thumb was if you can play tackle at all even margainally, you can be a very good guard and your best o line guy is typically the LT.

That can't be true however if there were a possibility of moving the best olineman (LT) to a guard due to anothers injury so that a second stringer can play LT???

Efffff it.... Im sure they know what they are doing.

Anyone else recall that week 10 disaster against Miami in 2011? You know, the week after Wood went down for the season. The Bills couldn't even get a snap off properly most of that game...It was truly pathetic.

It shows how smart Marrone is as an ex O line coach by giving players reps at other positions to make them more valuable. Injuries are going to happen, and it just makes sense to be prepared for them.

I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be nonchalant or really ticked off at this development. Will someone please tell me what I'm supposed to think??

You're supposed to think that our o-line is a question mark going into the season. If they only dress 7 then they better have contingency plans in place.