Glenn to LG

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also may be looking how well Glenn plays on inside when they use the formation with an extra tackle on the outside using Hairston when he gets back or Welsh or maybe even Sanders. Glenn played as guard part of the time in college and this will let the coaching staff see how he functions with another blocker on other side as a pro.

I'd be a lot more confident on the assistant coaches if Marrone had same attitude about competition and interviewed some of the previous coaches before dismissing them summarily.

They also may be looking how well Glenn plays on inside when they use the formation with an extra tackle on the outside using Hairston when he gets back or Welsh or maybe even Sanders. Glenn played as guard part of the time in college and this will let the coaching staff see how he functions with another blocker on other side as a pro.

I'd be a lot more confident on the assistant coaches if Marrone had same attitude about competition and interviewed some of the previous coaches before dismissing them summarily.

While our line is certainly unsettled, I have great hope that Marrone will be able to put a decent unit together, seeing as OL is his forte. I find Leodis on the outside far more scary. He has been a non-entity on this team for many years, what has changed that makes him a credible starter?

Marrone will sort out the OL. Hopefully.

This was their only chance to get a look at Glenn as a guard prior to the 2014 Draft. You can't experiment like this during the season so they did it now. My theory is they're considering improving the O-line early in the draft and wanted to confirm that Glenn can be the dominant OG they suspected he'd be.

They only needed to see him work there briefly so it's easy for them to explain it away with cross training, and promptly put him back at tackle where we need him to play this year. But now they have a better idea of their options as far as improving the line in the offseason.

Yes yours was the exception. Not really sure why you felt the need to say nothing at all, but there you go.

Fans often choose to ignore things because they don't want to consider the possibility. Gaughan and Graham said the tackle play was awful in the scrimmage the other night. We have been hearing direct from Marrone that the LG spot has been a problem. So by all means, fans should just assume that they are seeing if Welch can handle spot duty at LT. And Nanker should post something strange about it. It's not unlike Buddy Nix telling everyone that they wanted Stevie Johnson playing in the slot and then having it happen in camp 6 months later and be a surprise to many.

Is it safe to assume that the coaches do not think that he is or will be a great LT?

I don't remember Pace or Ogden trying out at left guard.

This was their only chance to get a look at Glenn as a guard prior to the 2014 Draft. You can't experiment like this during the season so they did it now. My theory is they're considering improving the O-line early in the draft and wanted to confirm that Glenn can be the dominant OG they suspected he'd be.

They only needed to see him work there briefly so it's easy for them to explain it away with cross training, and promptly put him back at tackle where we need him to play this year. But now they have a better idea of their options as far as improving the line in the offseason.

This makes perfect sense good theory

i dont quite agree that they are thinking about next years draft , but it sure is possible they are already thinking that far out. I would consider they are preparing for injuries as astutely mentioned above are getting prepared to keep the best five on the field in all cases.

seems like smart football to me either way

Insightful.

Is it safe to assume that the coaches do not think that he is or will be a great LT?

Yeah, your left tackle is not a guy you move around the line. If you need a guard then use the backup left tackle not your star LT. I get the "best 5" argument but if they can play left tackle, they can play the guard positions. I think putting Glenn at guard was an indication that they are considering moving him there permanently at some point(see J-Gun take), not in the event of injury. Why? Don't know. Could be disappointing performance, or as I mentioned earlier maybe Marrone wants a dominant OG in the middle. He had Brandon Moore and Carl Nix at other stops. In any event, if Glenn were playing like a very good OT in camp I don't think this would have been even considered.

Still waiting for the links to Ryan Clady and Joe Thomas taking reps at LG.

Guys, the post-practice comments explained things very clearly in a way that made sense: if your 6th-best OLmen is a tackle and not a guard, and you have a guy that can undoubtedly play guard, then you move him there in order to get your best 5 guys on the field. It really is that simple.

And for those of you looking for examples of LTs that moved to LG based on injury, you're making a false analogy. We're talking about what is simply a different approach that is designed to ensure that the best 5 available OLmen are on the field at all times...nothing more to it.

#1- bills don't like what they have at LG

#2- cordy's weakness has been exposed in camp (speed rushers).

#3- kill two birds with one stone. move cordy inside where he will dominate.

#4- bills don' like what is behind cordy at LT

#5- everyone back to where there were.

Edited by papazoid

Guys, the post-practice comments explained things very clearly in a way that made sense: if your 6th-best OLmen is a tackle and not a guard, and you have a guy that can undoubtedly play guard, then you move him there in order to get your best 5 guys on the field. It really is that simple.

And for those of you looking for examples of LTs that moved to LG based on injury, you're making a false analogy. We're talking about what is simply a different approach that is designed to ensure that the best 5 available OLmen are on the field at all times...nothing more to it.

Marrone is lying, obviously.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

You know what, people think the Tampa Bay Rays are crazy for having 7 guys who can play shortstop and take walks, but that is one of the ways that they have been able to have great success without defensive downgrades in the field and by exploiting platoon matchups.

I tend to agree - conventional wisdom does suggest it's a bad thing to not have your LT locked in. But if Marrone is really looking at what succeeds in the NFL, guys like Belicheck and Parcells and Payton flout conventional wisdom and are rewarded for it. You could be on to something here. Doing things in a way other than the generally received way to do them can often allow you to exploit market inefficiencies in the game, and to be be better prepared when things don't go according to plan.

Still waiting for the links to Ryan Clady and Joe Thomas taking reps at LG.

I know he's only a HOFer, but Jonathan Ogden played LG for the 1996 season...

http://www.pro-footb.../O/OgdeJo00.htm

I also seem to remember Larry Allen and Bruce Matthews playing a fair share of both LT and LG...those guys were pretty good.

Edited by thebandit27

I know he's only a HOFer, but Jonathan Ogden played LG for the 1996 season...

http://www.pro-footb.../O/OgdeJo00.htm

I also seem to remember Larry Allen and Bruce Matthews playing a fair share of both LT and LG...those guys were pretty good.

Good points. To be fair, though, the Ravens had an excellent LT already that season (his last with the Ravens) -- Tony Jones. Ogden never struggled at LT so badly that he subsequently had to move inside. If Glenn is better suited to LG and is good at it, I'll be ok with that. We'd still need a good LT though.

Larry Allen did play a bit of RT.

Edited by dave mcbride

As did Wolford. But didn't the moves come later in their careers, when they lost some outside mobility?

Whatever the reason that Marrone is justifying in giving Glenn a turn at LG, and maybe it will make sense at some point in retrospect, can we finally dispense with the premise that LGs are plug n play and any dumpster dive player can be slotted in a line without missing a beat?