Glenn to LG

This thread needs to die. It was a move made for one day. To hear people talk, no team has ever even thought about moving a good LT from his spot to try a different spot for one day during training camp.

But it's a Storm Cloud trifecta:

1.) We suck at LG because they let Levitre go and did nothing to address the position except to go "dumpster diving."

2.) Cordy Glenn sucks at LT so they have to move him inside to limit his exposure.

3.) Marrone once again seems to be caught in a bullschit web.

Oh, happy day!

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's a Storm Cloud trifecta:

1.) We suck at LG because they let Levitre go and did nothing to address the position except to go "dumpster diving."

2.) Cordy Glenn sucks at LT so they have to move him inside to limit his exposure.

3.) Marrone once again seems to be caught in a bullschit web.

Oh, happy day!

GO BILLS!!!

Are you disputing No. 1 or presenting it as a fact?

Are you disputing No. 1 or presenting it as a fact?

A little of both. It's seems to be a fact that the coaches aren't happy with the position. It's not a fact that the Bills let Levitre go because he was a free agent over whom the Bills could not exert any control and he chose to go.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

A little of both. It's seems to be a fact that the coaches aren't happy with the position. It's not a fact that the Bills let Levitre go because he was a free agent over whom the Bills could not exert any control and he chose to go.

GO BILLS!!!

Marrone's post-practice comments today seem to indicate that they are happy with the progress of both Legursky and Brown...

Marrone's post-practice comments today seem to indicate that they are happy with the progress of both Legursky and Brown...

My condolences to Team Storm Cloud.

Then again, seeing as how Marrone is a company man and a shill for the FO, that's exactly what I'd expect him to say so this can only mean that they are in full panic mode about LG. He ain't foolin' me. Not for a second.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Yeah, but that is irrelevant to the discussion. He moved inside to out in that instance. Like Bill said, it's obviously rare because it usually only happens when that player gets old or underperforms. Hence, the question about what it means for Glenn being tried inside. Some have mentioned it as a motivation tactic for the existing guards....but maybe it is a reminder to Glenn that he can be demoted. I don't buy the "cross training" explanation, you don't move your LT to guard during a game in the event of injury. I am quite sure I have never seen that maneuver.

I don't get why you don't "get it." It's training camp, the coaches need to know what they have and where they can place people in a pinch.

Lets look at another example, the Miami Dolphins are currently trying out Mike Pouncey at RG.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130728/WIRE/130729620

You could argue that thats a bit of a demotion for him. But as Mike Sherman says:

“We're moving guys and trying to get the best mix,” offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said. “The key to that whole position is to stay healthy in my mind and try to play with the same guys from day one to game 16 and beyond. We're trying different combinations. The extra week gives us an opportunity to be a little more creative in that way.”

It's pretty simple, it's training camp. Try all options.

GO BILLS!!!

I notice you write to suit you agenda's on any and every topic. The Bills never made an offer to levitre. He was public in the offseason as to wanting to remain a Bill, he was disappointed they were not in touch with him. But your story works for you, like all the stuff you mention. Such as your sarcastic remarks that Byrd is a hall of Famer. Just always mocking any opposing view to your dribble by others.your diatribes and never ending insulting remarks are tiresome. it is impossible to debate with you without you flat out distorting anything, or mocking. Or perceiving your self as a know it all. Then, continuing attacks constantly with innuendo such as your "dumpster diving" comment today. You never stop the attacks, you can not be debated. Your opinions ;like any others here and a buck will get a 7-11 cup of coffee.

Here's is just a single example: yesterday I posted that Urbik gets help from Woods. I also mentioned with a LG problem he (Woods) will possibly have to slide left this season to help the LG. Your response was Cordy Glenn may move to LG and would be an upgrade to Levitre. That opinion was based on what?

I'm out on this "debate" the thread should be closed.

I concur with those who are saying people are making much too big a deal out of this. Marrone accomplished several things, including a not-so-subtle reminder that nobody has their starting job locked in stone.

It is a little concerning that the coaching staff might think that Thomas Welch could be the 5th best healthy lineman on the roster.

I notice you write to suit you agenda's on any and every topic. The Bills never made an offer to levitre. He was public in the offseason as to wanting to remain a Bill, he was disappointed they were not in touch with him. But your story works for you, like all the stuff you mention. Such as your sarcastic remarks that Byrd is a hall of Famer. Just always mocking any opposing view to your dribble by others.your diatribes and never ending insulting remarks are tiresome. it is impossible to debate with you without you flat out distorting anything, or mocking. Or perceiving your self as a know it all. Then, continuing attacks constantly with innuendo such as your "dumpster diving" comment today. You never stop the attacks, you can not be debated. Your opinions ;like any others here and a buck will get a 7-11 cup of coffee.

Here's is just a single example: yesterday I posted that Urbik gets help from Woods. I also mentioned with a LG problem he (Woods) will possibly have to slide left this season to help the LG. Your response was Cordy Glenn may move to LG and would be an upgrade to Levitre. That opinion was based on what?

The only time I remember Levitre being public about wanting to remain a Bill was last November, during the season, when all free agents to be wax poetic about wanting to remain with the teams that drafted them. Since then, all I remember him saying was how much he was looking forward to his "once in a lifetime opportunity." Moot point though, because he no longer was controlled by the Bills and was free to go. You may choose to believe that he would have settled for less to stay in Buffalo, as is your right, but I don't. Bottom line is he CHOSE to go and the Bills couldn't exert any control over the situation because he was a free agent.

My opinion that Glenn would be an upgrade over Levitre is based on direct observations of Levitre's play over the years. He's shown me he is a good tactician, with good feet who is a good pass blocker. While decent in zone blocking schemes in the run game, he is weak at the POA and is not a very good run blocker man on man. Glenn is stronger, moves just as well, and is a better anchor in the interior. He also excelled in zone schemes last season but was DOMINANT in man blocking and seldom gets overpowered. When he locks up on you, you are finished. I can't say that about Levitre.

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is, pot meet kettle.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The only time I remember Levitre being public about wanting to remain a Bill was last November, during the season, when all free agents to be wax poetic about wanting to remain with the teams that drafted them. Since then, all I remember him saying was how much he was looking forward to his "once in a lifetime opportunity." Moot point though, because he no longer was controlled by the Bills and was free to go. You may choose to believe that he would have settled for less to stay in Buffalo, as is your right, but I don't. Bottom line is he CHOSE to go and the Bills couldn't exert any control over the situation because he was a free agent.

My opinion that Glenn would be an upgrade over Levitre is based on direct observations of Levitre's play over the years. He's shown me he is a good tactician, with good feet who is a good pass blocker. While decent in zone blocking schemes in the run game, he is weak at the POA and is not a very good run blocker man on man. Glenn is stronger, moves just as well, and is a better anchor in the interior. He also excelled in zone schemes last season but was DOMINANT in man blocking and seldom gets overpowered. When he locks up on you, you are finished. I can't say that about Levitre.

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is, pot meet kettle.

GO BILLS!!!

Levitre is not "good" in pass protection. He is superb, AND durable. He isn't "weak at the point of attack" either. He just isn't a monster. It is a huge reach to think that Glenn, with not much experience, would be an upgrade over Levitre.

And as for the Bills not being able to "exert control" wrt Levitre leaving, I respectfully beg to differ. He only received 10 million in guaranteed money. They could have matched this easily. They also could have guaranteed his salary for a year or 2, and then cut him without a cap hit. But despite having a qb who is a rookie and another who is brittle and has been beaten half to death, they let him walk, only to focus on Byrd.

How is that working out?

Levitre is not "good" in pass protection. He is superb, AND durable. He isn't "weak at the point of attack" either. He just isn't a monster. It is a huge reach to think that Glenn, with not much experience, would be an upgrade over Levitre.

And as for the Bills not being able to "exert control" wrt Levitre leaving, I respectfully beg to differ. He only received 10 million in guaranteed money. They could have matched this easily. They also could have guaranteed his salary for a year or 2, and then cut him without a cap hit. But despite having a qb who is a rookie and another who is brittle and has been beaten half to death, they let him walk, only to focus on Byrd.

How is that working out?

Well, at least you were respectful about it.

Regarding Glenn, I don't think it's a huge reach at all given what I observed of Glenn as a rookie in the NFL and in his career at Georgia. Bigger, stronger, better body type, and moves better than Levitre while being a much better run blocker. And if he's ANY kind of pass blocker at LT, which he is, minus his struggles with speed edge rushers, he won't have ANY problem being better on the inside where he isn't exposed as much. So no, I don't think it's a stretch.

As for Levitre, we long ago agreed to disagree. You see an All Pro. I don't. Moot point. Let's move on.

As to how it's working out? We simply won't know until we see. But the early returns from camp don't seem too promising.

GO BILLS!!!

It's never a fluke when your left tackle is making blocks 10 or 20 yards down field. He may have benefited from some non-calls (what OLman doesn't), but he was playing very well, regardless and in all aspects. When he locks up on you, you're finished. And when he was getting beat by a speed rusher, those abnormally long arms did very well to compensate. He just wasn't the same after his injury and I attribute that to the nature of high-ankle sprains.

My opinion of Hairston at LT is that, while he is not as good as Glenn yet, it's a question of getting your 5 best linemen out there as mentioned above. If he's one of them, they need to find a spot.

GO BILLS!!!

I know. But that was in the tweet from the Bills up thread so well...there ya go.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a very reassuring post. I'm glad to hear your thoughts about Hairston's pre-injury rookie games. Now let's just hope he can return to the form he displayed then! :thumbsup:

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I've had my differences with K-9 also. But I don't see why someone would object to his posts in this thread.

K-9 described Levitre as choosing to leave; not as being let go. That's not K-9 twisting facts to suit an agenda. He uses that same approach consistently, with all teams and all players. If a player's current team would have been willing to offer him at least the vet minimum to stay, then if that player leaves--even for $15 million a year--K-9 will describe the player as having chosen to leave. He will--always--vehemently deny that the player's original team had "let" him leave in free agency. This way of looking at things isn't something he cooked up specially for the Levitre situation. He's been strongly advocating this perspective for years--long before we lost Levitre.

For the record, I disagree with that perspective. If a team does not make a credible offer to a player reaching the end of his contract, then to me that's tantamount to a decision to let the player walk in free agency. But even though K-9 has not (and will not) convince me, I don't think anyone can accuse him of trying to mislead, or lacking consistency. I think that he's genuinely convinced that his way of looking at this is the right one; and gets at least a little annoyed with people like me who see the matter differently.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I think we are making a lot of fuss about what Allan Iverson would refer to as one "Not a game" [i might be paraphrasing incorrectly, because I can't remember his exact word choice].

Glenn is our LT, and I sure hope he excels at that. As has been mentioned now, seeing him briefly in another position can give our coaching staff some insight into what our strategy might be in case of injuries and/or Glenn not excelling over the course of the season.

1) If he struggles but is our best LT, we can consider moving him in to LG next year and getting a replacement LT (draft or otherwise).

2) If he struggles, and another LT option emerges and leapfrogs him on the depth chart, they can have an idea if moving him to LG in the season would work out.

3) If there is an injury or two at guard, and another Glenn struggles enough that he is on even footing with another LT (or pretty close even if Glenn is ahead), it is likely that our line would be slightly improved with Glenn sliding in to LG, and the similar and maybe a little inferior tackle playing LT.

4) Glenn does great, and this was just an afternoon of informational cross training and he stays as our LT of the future.

All things point to having him play LT, but working him a little at LG letting our O-Line experienced head coach have more information to make decisions in the best interest if our team based on various unknown future outcomes.

He won't be the last either. Watching camp fodder dumpster diving in full swing here. It's really hard to differentiate the FO changes if any at this point.One wonders how much power Whaley has in putting a decent roster together. WE don't even have an al purpose TE. How long has it been without a stud TE now?

Certainly the Bills are not tooling up for a potential play off run, by signing players like a D-Back on his 7th team in 3 years.

TE? what's that, Maybe we can get that one the Pats released.