Would You Rather Have Mario Or Byrd?

With the rotations that will be going on with this new defense, I am starting to think that Byrd is going to play a more important role. It just stinks that with all these seemingly positive changes going on, the Bills may not be able to hold on to one of their VERY few superstars. Although I still think Mario has a lot to offer, I am beginning to wish that that deal never happened (if it meant choosing one or the other.)

Anyway, I am loving the direction this team is heading and the excitement of the players surrounding it. Win or lose this year, things are looking up and the week one game against the Pats is gonna be a hell of a place to be :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the cap room for both. Byrd is a special talent and Mario is a beast. I will be extremely disappointed when he flies away. I really don't think Byrd wants to be in Buffalo, I see him taking less money with a contender

Mario and its not even close

It really isn't. Impact on a play to play basis is everything. Free safeties, especially those not blessed with superior physical athleticism, just aren't in a position to do so.

GO BILLS!!!

We have the cap room for both. Byrd is a special talent and Mario is a beast. I will be extremely disappointed when he flies away. I really don't think Byrd wants to be in Buffalo, I see him taking less money with a contender

Not trying to be contentious, but other than wanting to get paid an insane of money to stay, what else makes you think that Byrd doesn't want to be in Buffalo? Are the reasons just the money, or is there something that you have seen/heard that indicates he doesn't like being in Buffalo? From everything I have heard, he likes Buffalo a lot. Of course, a lot has changed since just last season.

I don't want the Bills to break the bank to sign Byrd long-term, but I would hate to see him leave.To think, all the times the Bills have traded up in the draft in recent years, Byrd (if memory serves me) is the only one who actually panned out...

Win or lose this year, things are looking up

"God bless you"

R. Wilson

It really isn't. Impact on a play to play basis is everything. Free safeties, especially those not blessed with superior physical athleticism, just aren't in a position to do so.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know....play to play there are a lot of "where's Mario?" gaps. Impact can also come on big plays, in which it's Byrd--not even close.

EASY MARIO, STUPID QUESTION LOL.

HE HAS THE OPPURTUNITY TO DISRUPT EVERY PLAY WEATHER IT BE A PASS OR A RUN!

Well, this is simply not true and if you would watch what elite safeties do to make the QB throw elsewhere, you will see that. And seriously, does the male race really have to use LOL - it's like a red flag every time I see it used.

Well, this is simply not true and if you would watch what elite safeties do to make the QB throw elsewhere, you will see that. And seriously, does the male race really have to use LOL - it's like a red flag every time I see it used.

"male race" is a red flag...

Neither, both are wastes of money. Mario is nothing but a shadow of his former self (WHEN he could be somewhat consistent) and Byrd is overhyped by Bills fans because of one season. And I don't care what level a Safety plays at, they aren't worth the jack Byrd wants.

JJ Watt

You're so right. I mean JJ Watt had 11.5 sacks in 2 years in college. So obvious he was a superstar. Mario obviously couldn't have beat that production. Of course, he was the #1 pick.

There is nothing less productive than hindsight bs. Mario averaged a sack a game in Wade's system before he got hurt. Wade Phillips isn't a great head coach but he might be the 2nd beat DC in the game. I'm sure Watt's production would be exactly the same in Wanny's system.

As for the original question, there's no comparison in value of a good DE vs. S. a good DE can make an average S NYC better but it doesn't work the same way. A good to great safety is an awesome luxury to have but it doesn't come close to making your team a playoff team.

I want both. Byrd is the best playmaker on the defensive backfield I've seen in my lifetime. They need to find a way to get it done. But it takes 2 to tango. Hopefully, Bryd finds his dancing shoes.

Neither, both are wastes of money. Mario is nothing but a shadow of his former self (WHEN he could be somewhat consistent) and Byrd is overhyped by Bills fans because of one season. And I don't care what level a Safety plays at, they aren't worth the jack Byrd wants.

I couldn't disagree more with a post.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

This is brilliant.

You're so right. I mean JJ Watt had 11.5 sacks in 2 years in college. So obvious he was a superstar. Mario obviously couldn't have beat that production. Of course, he was the #1 pick.

There is nothing less productive than hindsight bs. Mario averaged a sack a game in Wade's system before he got hurt. Wade Phillips isn't a great head coach but he might be the 2nd beat DC in the game. I'm sure Watt's production would be exactly the same in Wanny's system.

As for the original question, there's no comparison in value of a good DE vs. S. a good DE can make an average S NYC better but it doesn't work the same way. A good to great safety is an awesome luxury to have but it doesn't come close to making your team a playoff team.

I want both. Byrd is the best playmaker on the defensive backfield I've seen in my lifetime. They need to find a way to get it done. But it takes 2 to tango. Hopefully, Bryd finds his dancing shoes.

I couldn't disagree more with a post.

I agree on the revisionist history crap.

Who is your first DC?

I also take Mario, he impacts runs as well as passes. The guy commands respect. Just when teams started thinking they could get away with single teaming him, his production climbed. The guy is and will be a 10+ sack guy for the next 4 years.

Byrd is good, but he is more of an opportunist type of FS. Reed made plays in his heyday. Byrd benefits usually from poor throws. And i do not see Byrd being anything special when it comes to run stopping. I like Byrd and wish he could come back for fair market value. Unfortunately Whaley and Parker can not agree on that number quite yet.

I agree on the revisionist history crap.

Who is your first DC?

I also take Mario, he impacts runs as well as passes. The guy commands respect. Just when teams started thinking they could get away with single teaming him, his production climbed. The guy is and will be a 10+ sack guy for the next 4 years.

Byrd is good, but he is more of an opportunist type of FS. Reed made plays in his heyday. Byrd benefits usually from poor throws. And i do not see Byrd being anything special when it comes to run stopping. I like Byrd and wish he could come back for fair market value. Unfortunately Whaley and Parker can not agree on that number quite yet.

Dick LeBeau, who just might be the greatest DC ever. I'd also put Mike Zimmer up there too.

I think Watt is a really good player but he is playing in one of the best defensive systems for a pass rush. Mario played in one if the worst. I guarantee Watt would see his production fall of in 90% of other teams.