McCain takes a run at blackouts in publically funded Stadia

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a kick out of the "it's not fair to people who don't subscribe to Directv". The guy is advocating for blackouts but doesn't want out of market advertising being shown in a different market :blink:

Kinda like how I watch Sonic/Hardee's commercials in Rochester but there isn't one in NY State (at least as far as I know).

I appreciate the effort and perceived passion behind the Bill. But no one or no 'thing' (USFL) has successfully chopped into the NFL tv monopoly. Yes, the USFL 'won' its case. Award? $1. Upside? Kent Hull, Trumain Johnson, Scott Norwood and some QB from Texas/NJ became Bills within 2 weeks..

I get a kick out of the "it's not fair to people who don't subscribe to Directv". The guy is advocating for blackouts but doesn't want out of market advertising being shown in a different market :blink:

Kinda like how I watch Sonic/Hardee's commercials in Rochester but there isn't one in NY State (at least as far as I know).

I think there is a Hardee's on the Thruway near Rochester.

So did I misread that or was the argument that if you didn't have the blackout, when you blacked out a local market blah blah blah directTV something? Wouldn't the local market also not be blacked out? It made no sense. Maybe it was poorly written or the drinking over the 4 day holiday weekend made me functionally illiterate.

Requiring a total sell out of tickets three days in advance has always seemed a bit harsh - especially when you consider Rich stadium had a capacity of 80,000+ (largest crowd was 80,368 10/4/92 Bills Vs Miami), and a lot of large market teams had stadiums well below that. Sure, The Ralph now only seats 73,000, yet here's a list of current stadiums with lower seating capacity:

• University of Phoenix Stadium 63,400
  • Soldier Field, Chicago 61,500
  • Reliant Stadium, Houston 71,054
  • Raymond James Stadium, Tampa 65,908
  • Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego 70,561
  • Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati 65,535
  • Oakland Co. Coliseum 53,200
  • Mall of America Field, Minneapolis 64,121
  • M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore 71,008
  • Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis 62,421
  • LP Field, Nashville 69,143
  • Lincoln Financial Field, Philly 68,532
  • Heinz Field, Pittsburgh 65,050
  • Gillette Stadium, Foxborough 68,756
  • Georgia Dome, Atlanta 71,228
  • Ford Field, Detroit 65,000
  • EverBank Field, Jacksonville 67,246
  • Edward Jones Dome, St Louis 66,965
  • Century Link Field, Seattle 67,000
  • Candlestick Park, San Francisco 69,732

Plus new stadiums for San Fran (68,500); Minnesota (65,000); Atlanta (65,000) will all be smaller than The Ralph if and when they're built.

I think the NFL should lift the blackout for all stadiums when they sell the same number of tickets equal to that of the team playing each week with the SMALLEST STADIUM's capacity. That would be parity. So, for example if Oakland is playing then no team would have a blackout if they sold 53,200 tickets. If Oakland isn't playing and Chicago is - then the number grows to 61,500 tickets.

Why the hell should Buffalo get blacked out after selling 71,500 tickets and a city like Chicago gets free tv with 10,000 fewer tickets sold?

upper front street in Binghamton NY is closest Sonic to Rochester

Do as they please. I have been watching every [and I mean every] Bills game on the internet for 5+ years now.

Well, as long as you're happy there's nothing more to talk about. and do you mean every?

upper front street in Binghamton NY is closest Sonic to Rochester

1103 upper front street

Chenango, NY 13905

I think there is a Hardee's on the Thruway near Rochester.

I couldn't find one, but there are two Checkers, aren't they owned by the same company?

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/travelplazas/tp-pembroke.html

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/travelplazas/tp-seneca.html

I think the NFL should lift the blackout for all stadiums when they sell the same number of tickets equal to that of the team playing each week with the SMALLEST STADIUM's capacity. That would be parity. So, for example if Oakland is playing then no team would have a blackout if they sold 53,200 tickets. If Oakland isn't playing and Chicago is - then the number grows to 61,500 tickets.

Why the hell should Buffalo get blacked out after selling 71,500 tickets and a city like Chicago gets free tv with 10,000 fewer tickets sold?

Well that wouldn't be parity it would only help the teams with bigger stadiums.

1103 upper front street

Chenango, NY 13905

I couldn't find one, but there are two Checkers, aren't they owned by the same company?

http://www.thruway.n...p-pembroke.html

http://www.thruway.n.../tp-seneca.html

I dunno but I believe Hardee's and Carl's Junior are the same company and sell virtually the same product (with different names).

I think, whether McCain is politically motivated or not, he makes a very good point. The tax payers of western new york give the Bills millions of dollars each year. Why shouldn't they now be able to watch the games? It's amazing to me the support this team has gotten based on the horrible product they have put on the field for so long.

Do as they please. I have been watching every [and I mean every] Bills game on the internet for 5+ years now.

Really? How?

I've watched many on the internet (primarily on JustinTV) but some Sundays I couldn't find a rebroadcast of the game.

Not yet in Roch, but coming.

"Sonic, based in Oklahoma City, announced Monday it had signed an agreement with a local franchise group headed by Fran DeSimone to open five local Sonics over the next four years. DeSimone has had local experience with Panera Bread, Burger King and Taco Bell franchises."

http://www.democrata...?nclick_check=1

I've watched some on the internet as well. I prefer watching at home instead of at the Ralph because I can watch with my family and because of HD broadcasts. Those internet feeds are painful to watch due to the horrible video quality (I watch on my TV via the HDMI out on my laptop).

If I really needed to see a game the same day (instead of watching during the next week via the replay they always have for blacked out games) and my choices were justin.tv (or any other internet feed) or making the trek to the Ralph, you would find me with my scalped ticket.

Edited by CodeMonkey

"Sonic, based in Oklahoma City, announced Monday it had signed an agreement with a local franchise group headed by Fran DeSimone to open five local Sonics over the next four years. DeSimone has had local experience with Panera Bread, Burger King and Taco Bell franchises."

http://www.democrata...?nclick_check=1

I've watched some on the internet as well. I prefer watching at home instead of at the Ralph because I can watch with my family and because of HD broadcasts. Those internet feeds are painful to watch due to the horrible video quality (I watch on my TV via the HDMI out on my laptop).

If I really needed to see a game the same day (instead of watching during the next week via the replay they always have for blacked out games) and my choices were justin.tv (or any other internet feed) or making the trek to the Ralph, you would find me with my scalped ticket.

Not to hi-jack this thread..but how do you do this? If you hook your laptop up to your HD tv, can you watch anything on the computer, using your TV as a monitor? I tried this once, at my sisters house (didn't have a laptop of my own at the time), but had no luck. Can you do this, and watch, say, Youtube videos on your 46' HDTV? Is it as simple as just running an HDMI cable from your laptop to your tv?

Funny story about that guy actually. All of those places that he's opened/run he was fired for sexual harassment.

But I think everyone gets my point about the out of market advertisements.

Not to hi-jack this thread..but how do you do this? If you hook your laptop up to your HD tv, can you watch anything on the computer, using your TV as a monitor? I tried this once, at my sisters house (didn't have a laptop of my own at the time), but had no luck. Can you do this, and watch, say, Youtube videos on your 46' HDTV? Is it as simple as just running an HDMI cable from your laptop to your tv?

Yes. If you have HDMI port on your laptop and tv, you can use your tv as your laptop monitor.