Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

I think an appropriate response to the police if you know you are not involved in any way with respect to the topic of their investigation is to say:

"I'm sorry, officer, I don't believe I have any information to share but if you insist on questioning me I'd like to make sure my lawyer is also present so I don't say anything that might possibly be miscontrued."

There's really nothing anyone can dispute about taking that position.

And the cops would call that position "being uncooperative."

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hernandez is being accused of shooting the man in the face, I thought a hospital had to report all shootings to the police. Police claim they have no records of incident---Hmmmmm. How soon before the Commish gets involved and puts Hernandez in limbo?

http://www.cbssports...man-in-the-face

yea - a bit odd that he was shot in the eye and theres no public record besides the filing of a lawsuit.

And the cops would call that position "being uncooperative."

Sure they would, and they'd try the "well if you have nothing to hide why not speak with us?" routine as well. Cops are like folks in any other line of work -- some are really smart and understand the system (i.e., peoples' rights), and some have a stick up their asses and are looking to smash heads.

He shot a guy in the face? I'm going to assume the guy didn't talk to police cause he doesn't want to be a snitch or maybe hernandez told him he'd pay him not to talk? On the other hand it could be fake of course. But this is just a weird set of circumstances.

Sure they would, and they'd try the "well if you have nothing to hide why not speak with us?" routine as well. Cops are like folks in any other line of work -- some are really smart and understand the system (i.e., peoples' rights), and some have a stick up their asses and are looking to smash heads.

And like folks in any other line of work, most fall into the 3d category: they understand your rights just fine but also understand the system as it pertains to them getting their their job done more quickly and with a more definitive conclusion, which frequently is helped by them convincing you to speak to them immediately rather than making them jump through a bunch of hoops first.

People have a hard time remembering that cops have a boss too, and their boss is just as unhappy as anyone else's when the job doesn't get done right and on time.

He shot a guy in the face? I'm going to assume the guy didn't talk to police cause he doesn't want to be a snitch or maybe hernandez told him he'd pay him not to talk? On the other hand it could be fake of course. But this is just a weird set of circumstances.

the low amount being sought is strange, the lack of police records is strange, and the fact that the injuries claimed cant really be faked is strange.

And like folks in any other line of work, most fall into the 3d category: they understand your rights just fine but also understand the system as it pertains to them getting their their job done more quickly and with a more definitive conclusion, which frequently is helped by them convincing you to speak to them immediately rather than making them jump through a bunch of hoops first.

People have a hard time remembering that cops have a boss too, and their boss is just as unhappy as anyone else's when the job doesn't get done right and on time.

unfortunately, when you are dealing with life changing decisions and events, right is far more important then on time - though the two arent totally unrelated. obviously getting info faster helps in most cases, but quotas and deadlines for justice can also be a dangerous thing.

Doesn't mean he was in the car, or has any idea what happened.... He has a lot more cash than friends and family, his name likely goes on a lot of things

But he did shoot a guy in his car last year and was sued for it. Has a temper too, so go figure why Belicheat would want him...

the low amount being sought is strange, the lack of police records is strange, and the fact that the injuries claimed cant really be faked is strange.

unfortunately, when you are dealing with life changing decisions and events, right is far more important then on time - though the two arent totally unrelated. obviously getting info faster helps in most cases, but quotas and deadlines for justice can also be a dangerous thing.

My take on the shooting is that they continued their argument in the vehicle, the victim says something AH doesn't like, AH pulls the gun out, victim and AH struggle and the gun goes off. AH then promises money in exchange for the victim not reporting the incident.

On a side note I would never talk to police without a lawyer, I had a incident that ended up costing about 30k when it was all said and done, if the cop had admitted his mistakes instead of allowing the trial to happen it would have cost 2k. Luckily his partner told the truth and the DA was pretty incompetent.

No question, but that pressure on cops to solve the case before it goes cold means the risk analysis of balancing right vs. speed isn't viewed the same by cops as it is by suspects. That's my only point. Just because a cop is aggressive doesn't mean he's a meathead.

But who are we kidding, he's a football player. If he killed the guy, they'll delay his trial to next offseason and he'll get a suspended sentence. Belichick will be a character witness.

But he did shoot a guy in his car last year and was sued for it. Has a temper too, so go figure why Belicheat would want him...

or atleast someone, that seemingly has injuries, is claiming that he did that.

My take on the shooting is that they continued their argument in the vehicle, the victim says something AH doesn't like, AH pulls the gun out, victim and AH struggle and the gun goes off. AH then promises money in exchange for the victim not reporting the incident.

Thats a whole lot of guessing and still neglects where this guy went to the hospital to get his face fixed without getting a report filed. i imagine lots of info yet to come.

On a side note I would never talk to police without a lawyer, I had a incident that ended up costing about 30k when it was all said and done, if the cop had admitted his mistakes instead of allowing the trial to happen it would have cost 2k. Luckily his partner told the truth and the DA was pretty incompetent.

bingo. lots of people have stories. i wont fault anyone for steering clear or trying to control the situation when police attempt to become a part of their lives. thats not to say all are bad, or even many, but they certainly exist and its certainly a risk to cooperate even if innocent.

And how is someone getting shot in the face not a criminal investigation? It's not like they were out hunting. ;)

Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the report of a man bleeding from the head early that morning on Fiscal Court, in an industrial part of Riviera Beach.

When they arrived, according to the PBSO report, they found Alexander Bradley bleeding from the head and a hand.

Bradley was uncooperative and rude to both deputies and emergency personal — and refused to identify his attacker.

He did, however, claim in a federal lawsuit filed in West Palm Beach June 13 that Hernandez, the Patriots’ up-and-coming tight end and former University of Florida standout, was the one who shot him while waving a gun at him during a dispute.

The bullet traveled up Bradley’s arm and into his skull, shattering his eyeball.

The argument between Hernandez and Bradley, who were friends, allegedly occurred as the two drove north on I-95 in Palm Beach County after a night of partying in Miami strip joints.

http://gossipextra.c...h-florida-2700/

The alleged vic was a friend of Hernandez. Didn't want to press charges or ID him as the shooter. Sounds like he wanted to be paid off for losing an eye. The suit was just filed 6 days ago, which is why it hadn't come out sooner.

Edited by Golden Wheels

http://gossipextra.c...h-florida-2700/

The alleged vic was a friend of Hernandez. Didn't want to press charges or ID him as the shooter. Sounds like he wanted to be paid off for losing an eye. The suit was just filed 6 days ago, which is why it hadn't come out sooner.

Is it really up to the victim of an aggravated assault to decide not to press charges? That just seems weird to me.

I sure hope Hernandez takes the rental car on a low speed chase through the streets of Boston with Mass state troopers close behind. Gronk will be the driver of course. If I remember correctly, OJ's chase happened while an NBA playoff game was on, so if they could wait until game 7 tomorrow night that would be great.

Is it really up to the victim of an aggravated assault to decide not to press charges? That just seems weird to me.

Florida. Prominent athlete from prominent Florida school.

Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

Have not commented because a lot of people appear to paraphrasing what was said rather than quotes:

Original source of article:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/aaron-hernandez-new-england-patriots-lawsuit-gun-shooting-miami-strip-club/

Victim was actually uncooperative w/police. If you were not involved with something illegal / shady do you have issue talking to police?

Even if victim had criminal record he is supposed to be victim.

Have not commented because a lot of people appear to paraphrasing what was said rather than quotes:

Original source of article:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/aaron-hernandez-new-england-patriots-lawsuit-gun-shooting-miami-strip-club/

Victim was actually uncooperative w/police. If you were not involved with something illegal / shady do you have issue talking to police?

Even if victim had criminal record he is supposed to be victim.

To be fair the articles undergone a revision from "police sources say they have no record of the incident" at an earlier point

Without jumping to conclusions, all this suggests deeper criminal activities/dealings gone awry. I checked out a Pats forum just to see what the feeling is, and they are clueless, trying to convince each other that the guy getting shot in the face was just trying to get a payday, and Hernandez would have only a small inconvenience. If he shot the guy, it is more than likely that he will go to jail.

Hernandez, even if he didn't kill the guy himself, is definitely in deep. These 2 events might not even be connected (but it would seem likely), but even if they aren't, how many people are involved in 2 unrelated events like these in 2 weeks time? Only someone in deep, and now the cops have his computer, phone records, etc.

Without jumping to conclusions, all this suggests deeper criminal activities/dealings gone awry. I checked out a Pats forum just to see what the feeling is, and they are clueless, trying to convince each other that the guy getting shot in the face was just trying to get a payday, and Hernandez would have only a small inconvenience. If he shot the guy, it is more than likely that he will go to jail.

Hernandez, even if he didn't kill the guy himself, is definitely in deep. These 2 events might not even be connected (but it would seem likely), but even if they aren't, how many people are involved in 2 unrelated events like these in 2 weeks time? Only someone in deep, and now the cops have his computer, phone records, etc.

The shootings are 4 months apart, the lawsuit is new but the incident old. Now are the lawsuit and new death related? Definite maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

The shootings are 4 months apart, the lawsuit is new but the incident old. Now are the lawsuit and new death related? Definite maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

They may be completely separate (as I mentioned) but that isn't any better, really (maybe worse). Just means he was involved in more than one violent crime (allegedly).

Shot in the eye can mean a number of things including damage to orbital ridge bone around eye. From description of lawsuit it does not sound like he lost sight but just had damage.

TMZ story says bullet "blew out" his eyeball, which sounds like a ruptured globe. This doesn't necessarily mean he lost sight, but its nearly certain he will have some impairment.

TMZ story says bullet "blew out" his eyeball, which sounds like a ruptured globe. This doesn't necessarily mean he lost sight, but its nearly certain he will have some impairment.

WGaF?

I don't think it really matters that much. The real point is somebody shot him, and it was allegedly Hernandez, with a gun that wasn't registered to him.