Calling 911

Chef Jim

The conversation in the George Zimmerman thread over on the devil's board known as PPP got me thinking. jboyst mentioned that when he's called 911 they've been professional. My question is how many times have you called 911 and why did you call? I can honestly say in my 50+ years on this planet I have called 911 a total of zero times. Am I the odd one?

A few times, maybe 7-8. All in reporting accidents. I'm 'at the ready' with direction, mile markers, injuries of note and vehicle descriptions. They already know who I am and how to contact back with me, if needed..

Just being a good guy..

Hell I'm only 30 and I've called quite a few times, they all seemed pretty reasonable.... I remember calling when I was a little kid (probably about 6-7). My mom had the flu and passed out in the kitchen (I was the only one home with her). She wouldn't wake up and like I said I was about 6 and thought she had just died. Then another time as a teenager, I walked into a gas station and there was some drunk dude (dude was huge too like 6ft 5 plus) just screaming at the poor attendant. He was saying she didn't give him the correct change and it was obvious he was really drunk and really angry. After screaming at her, he then cleared all the crap off the counter and just started going nutts, kicking stuff over etc. I just calmly walked back out to my car, locked the doors and called 911. I waited in front of the gas station to make sure he didn't actually become violent with the poor old lady, then the cops showed up and he tried to fight the cops....they ended up knocking over all the shelves in the store...it was nutts. I called a couple years ago when I witnessed a pretty bad wreck on the highway and another time a few years back when I saw a minor car wreck but one of the cars caught on fire and went up in a matter of seconds. That's about it though...

The conversation in the George Zimmerman thread over on the devil's board known as PPP got me thinking. jboyst mentioned that when he's called 911 they've been professional. My question is how many times have you called 911 and why did you call? I can honestly say in my 50+ years on this planet I have called 911 a total of zero times. Am I the odd one?

Timing of this post is good as I have a question. This past weekend, wifey and I were sauntering in our town's park where there is a nice fountain surrounded by cascading water also. Saw a bunch of 4-6 year olds and 13-16 year olds playing in the water. There is a big sign that says there is no wading, jumping or swimming in the water. So I wondered:

- The water is getting dirty

- The surrounding area is getting muddy

- These kids could hurt themselves

- It is not allowed by the village

I had no idea what to do as the police non-emergency number was not manned being a weekend. So I called them yesterday and asked what should I have done. She said I absolutely should have called 911.

What do you guys think ? Should I have called 911 ?

(our village is very quiet and police pretty much sit around giving tickets to drivers).

Once I called to report a robbery burglary in progress (next door neighbor's apt.). The operator was professional and asked me to stay on the line until cops arrived and to describe anything I could safely witness. She specifically asked me like 3 or 4 times to make sure I was not putting myself in danger. Cops were there in moments, and once they were there the operator asked for my info so they could follow up if necessary, but they never did.

Another time I called to report a drunk driver who had crashed into my car (wound up on front lawn) and at least four others in front of my apartment. They caught the guy on the next block smashed into another parked car. I don't really remember the exchange with the operator as I was a little tipsy myself from celebrating Mardi Gras, but it was crazy to see the guy driving with his entire front end smashed up while I was on the line. His hood was bent in half and I have no idea how he could see where he was going.

The other times I've called 911 were absolutely horrible experiences I'd rather not relive.

Chef and KD, be glad you've never had the experience.

Edited by uncle flap

I was in a car accident about 12 years ago and it knocked me woozy...I picked up my cell phone in a slightly dazed state and dialed 4-1-1 -- the operator came on and asked me who I was trying to call. I said, "I'm trying to reach 9-1-1, I was in an accident."

Not one of my prouder moments.

A few weeks ago our carbon monoxide detector was beeping. I called 311. They told me to hand up and call 911.

Even after being told to. Even with my life on the line, I still felt weird calling 911.

Turns out it was the batteries. (unit was beeping unlike the manufacturers note said it would be in the event of battery failure)

After reading some of these I'm surprised I have never called 911. I've lived in urban areas for a number of years and some of those have bordered not so nice areas. I know I've called the police a few times but I don't think I've ever called 911. Strange.

Four times I can remember off the top of my head, all involving vehicles.

- drunk rolled his truck on my parents front lawn, ended up less than a foot from hitting the house

- multiple vehicles off the road on a section of highway due to bad weather (snow) and people thinking 4WD meant they could go as fast as they wanted

- seeing my buddy go flying through the air when he lost control of the motorcycle he was riding and hit a car head on (I did not know it was him until after the ambulance took him away)

- And lastly, this past winter, driving home from work, saw where a drunk put his car on top of a 3-4 foot tall snowbank when he either passed out or fell asleep at 3am

EDIT : Just remembered another, sitting in a restaurant, and seeing through the window a girl drive her car up the guide wire of the power pole on the corner of the intersection

Called for a couple car accidents. Once for a friend that took a bottle pills after drinking heavily. Called the DEC on illegal hunters on the weekend who said to call 911.

Only rude operator I've had though was when I called on a bunch of teens. These teens had been ringing doorbells for weeks, harassing people and hitting cars with a football in a townhouse parking lot. Attempts to talk to them and the parents failed. One day I finally had enough and called the non-emergency number to see if someone could come out and give them a little scare. The officer I talked to told me to call 911 and report it otherwise it wouldn't get dispatched. I even stated it wasn't an emergency but he said to call anyways. When I called the operator was a total B word saying this shouldn't be a call to 911 and started berating me. I was already in a bad mood at the time so I told her "go ask your coworker down the hall why they told me to call you, you !@#$ing B word". She ended the call, police showed up, put some fear in those teens and all was well.

I've called a few times, reporting what were clearly bad accidents on highways. Gave them what I knew and then went to tell people help was on the way.

And then there was this time in the Wendy's drive-thru that they put cheese on my hamburger. Bitches messed with the wrong guy. Was calling 911, but someone was filming me with a phone, so I just split.

A couple of times for witnessing accidents, and once when my grandmother was having chest pains - I got over any weird feelings about calling 911 after that, when I realized that if she arrested or stopped breathing while I was driving, there was ****-all I could do about it. I still wouldn't call 911 for a fractured ankle or simple cut, but If there's a chance someone might need emergency support on the way to the hospital, I call 911 without hesitating.

Never called it for any law enforcement purposes, though.

Late to my own party. Jeez, how rude.

I often call for the following reasons - the following vary for Non-emergency line and 911

- Tresspassers, such as a month ago driving on my land on a Saturday night about 11pm and find a random SUV just parked in a pasture. Sit there long enough to see what I see, call police, go to leave. Two dudes walk from out of no where, claim to have been looking for catfish in nearby creek/river. Skeptical about that one. Another time I was out looking around and just come across a dude parked at my fence with his hunting stuff all around. He was missing, I called to report illegal hunting and as I am on the phone he comes out with a riffle. Not too fun. He was a nice fella, though.

- Running through my fence. I live at a rural 3 way intersection with a stop sign. About 2 times a year someone blows the stop and I get $1,500 for fence damage. The fence is perfect - made of railroad ties, so I love when someone hits it. It does more then $1,500 to their ride in most cases. I often just dial 911 as I rush out there.

- Witnessing traffic accidents or being in them. I had a drunk woman stop on an on ramp, and as I went to move around her another dude coming up the ramp decides he wants to total his little Toyota pickup against my F350. It did $6k in only body damage - panels removed on the rear driver side.

- Drunk drivers, I don't !@#$ with that ****. If you are noticably drunk and on the road, I will call. (I mean, all over the road and a danger to others).

- Any time Tom calls someone a name.

A few weeks ago our carbon monoxide detector was beeping. I called 311. They told me to hand up and call 911.

Even after being told to. Even with my life on the line, I still felt weird calling 911.

Turns out it was the batteries. (unit was beeping unlike the manufacturers note said it would be in the event of battery failure)

My cable remote sets off my CO detector. It's really annoying. I can't sit on one side of the couch because of it.

I called 911 once when I was in high school. Kids next door were launching fireworks at my house and I saw a nasty burn mark on the front porch. I'm sure I could have stopped them myself, but I wanted to scare them.

I never called 911... My older sister called the police from my house when I was in Mexico in 2000. She came to visit and watch my son (2 @ the time) while we were away. The reason for the call? My oven would not shut off! She didn everything not to call... Even called her boyfriend back in BFLO... LoL... She had to laugh too because she said the cop radioed for back up! The thermocouple crapped out and the oven shot up to 500+ degrees and wouldn't shut off... They had to pull it away and turn the gas off. Funny thing... Had an anti-tip device on it (small son in the house @ the time) and that confused the hell out of everybody trying to pull it away from the kitchen wall... My sister said it was hot as hell too... LoL

Well... I get home and she doesn't say a word to be funny... I don't even go in the kitchen until I unpack... Then I walk in and find the oven in the middle of the kitchen... I am like WTF!

We were new parents and had a dossier prepared with everything in it for taking care of my son... Everything from tornado sirens to whatever... She joked about it that it didn't have: "How to shut off runaway oven!" LoL... :wallbash:

My cable remote sets off my CO detector. It's really annoying. I can't sit on one side of the couch because of it.

Man, you guys really have a lot of problems with your CO detector. When mine goes off, I treat it like my smoke detector; put it outside and shut the door until it stops beeping.

Jeez.

Man, you guys really have a lot of problems with your CO detector. When mine goes off, I treat it like my smoke detector; put it outside and shut the door until it stops beeping.

Jeez.

We had one in the house we bought last year. It kept going off after they painted. We no longer have a CO detector.

Jeez.

We had one in the house we bought last year. It kept going off after they painted. We no longer have a CO detector.

At least you have a calm, painless death to look forward to.

Timing of this post is good as I have a question. This past weekend, wifey and I were sauntering in our town's park where there is a nice fountain surrounded by cascading water also. Saw a bunch of 4-6 year olds and 13-16 year olds playing in the water. There is a big sign that says there is no wading, jumping or swimming in the water. So I wondered:

- The water is getting dirty

- The surrounding area is getting muddy

- These kids could hurt themselves

- It is not allowed by the village

I had no idea what to do as the police non-emergency number was not manned being a weekend. So I called them yesterday and asked what should I have done. She said I absolutely should have called 911.

What do you guys think ? Should I have called 911 ?

(our village is very quiet and police pretty much sit around giving tickets to drivers).

I can't imagine a municipality without an emergency option over the weekend. Even if it's an unmanned city/village number, those are usually patched through to the county sheriff's office dispatch.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't have called 911. An emergency didn't occur. Also, sometimes kids get hurt.

Never have but have called the non-emergency phone number once when I came home to all of my smoke alarms going off but no fire. Turns out one of them was defective. :doh: But enjoyed having 4 firemen show up to my house. :blush: Also called another time when the CO dectector would not shut off.

Better than having them cry wolf all the time and by the looks of the posts in this thread it seems to be a common occurance.

Not to mention the other upside of getting rid of the detector; if our death is calm and painless, it'll also be quiet.

Your death will be slow and painless.... As you fail to pay attention to the alarm going off legitimately.

Your death will be slow and painless.... As you fail to pay attention to the alarm going off legitimately.

The thing talks and actually says what the alarm is about. So when I set it off, it says something like "Alert, alert. Carbon monoxide detected. Carbon monoxide levels are: 0 (units)". So it's is alerting me to CO and at the same time telling me there is none present. I know it is the remote because I have tested it out. I can stand directly under it, point the remote at the detector and hit a button. It goes off every time. But whatever, I'm moving out of that place this weekend anyway.

I've called 911 about a dozen times, all but one of them accidental. I had this phone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3600/3650

Notice the round keypad? Well, when it's in your pocket, it can rock from side to side. The 9 is on the right, the 1 is on the left -- and every now and then it hits 9-1-1 in order. It's a federal law that, even if a phone is locked, if you dial 911, it has to call through.

So what would happen is 911 would occasionally get dialed in my pocket. I wouldn't say anything, they'd hang up and call back. I'd answer, and they'd ask if there's an emergency. The first couple of times I said I had no idea why they were calling me. Then the third time, the operator told me about the 911 law. I apologized and felt terrible wasting their time. :( Most of them were cool with it - it probably happened a fair amount -- but one time they demanded my name, address, and phone number. I declined and hung up. :blush:

I called 911 once when we heard some noises late at night in our neighborhood - wasn't sure if it was just kids chasing each other, but there was screaming and running, so better safe than sorry.