the Bungles are 2013's Hard Knocks

Nice I want to watch the Bungals. Glad the Bills didn't get it. Well we can cross off Bungals from playoff spot.

Funny you say that because the last time the bumbling bungles were on hard knocks, the swept their division and made the playoffs

A part of me really wanted it to be the Bills. Another, smarter part of me, didn't want to risk the distraction factor.

I don't get this "distraction factor" stuff. A way bigger deal is made of this than it really is. I wish it was the Bills

Seeing my favorite team on the best sports show ever from the best cable channel ever would've been great.

I don't really buy the whole "distraction" argument. Teams bring that upon themselves and we don't have that problem IMO.

Biggest "distraction" would be the pending Byrd holdout, and to be honest, I think HBO would provide some really cool insight to that whole situation.

Edited by stony

What exactly would we have been distracted from? Mediocrity? Preparing for the 9th pick in the 2014 draft?

I want as much Bills programming as I can get. I wanted it to be the Bills, too. I don't understand why you guys didn't.

• 1 month later...

I"m watching this show - which I look forward to doing every year - and the thought that's going through my mind is, "if this were my team, I'd be embarrassed." I know they're trying to make an entertaining program, but you have guys farting around talking about which superhero power they'd want to have, Marvin Lewis blowing all sorts of sunshine up various players butts, and James Harrison making everything about James Harrison, all while they should be focusing on their damn work. How long are these sessions? Two? Maybe three hours tops? Somehow I doubt that Marrone and Pettine allow our players to be this unfocused...I could be completely wrong, but this team isn't exactly striking me as a team focused on winning a Super Bowl.

I think part of this impression comes from watching a pretty fair bit of the NFL Network coverage of training camps around the league...I just don't see this sort of nonsense going on in other camps - not even Camp Rex.

Is it just me?

I think part of this impression comes from watching a pretty fair bit of the NFL Network coverage of training camps around the league...I just don't see this sort of nonsense going on in other camps - not even Camp Rex.

Is it just me?

I think it's you. Players aren't going to stay wound up at full intensity 24/7. NFL Network's coverage doesn't come close to the access you get with Hard Knocks. Players joke around on every team, including Camp Rex if you recall when they were on 2 years ago (Now let's go get a F****ing snack!!) Heck, nobody goofed around more than the Ravens after their first SB with Goose, Sharpe and Ray Lewis, and that was one of the most intense defenses ever.

I think it's you. Players aren't going to stay wound up at full intensity 24/7. NFL Network's coverage doesn't come close to the access you get with Hard Knocks. Players joke around on every team, including Camp Rex if you recall when they were on 2 years ago (Now let's go get a F****ing snack!!) Heck, nobody goofed around more than the Ravens after their first SB with Goose, Sharpe and Ray Lewis, and that was one of the most intense defenses ever.

I'm not really referring to intensity, though...I'm talking about focus. There was a scene where they were discussing the superhero thing while they were doing the rope ladder.

Camp Rex two years ago is sort of what I'm talking about, though. The Jets ended up underachieving that season.

I dunno...I don't really give a crap either way, it just seems that the superhero talk and the butt smooching by the coaches should take place off the field...not during the sessions. Hell, even back in HS, if we were farting around even a little during practice we'd get our asses chewed.

actually that one WR who ended up being held out after he attempted a diving catch...that's the sort of attitude I would expect. He was pissed that he was being held out cause the guy wanted to work on his craft. I could be completely wrong, but I would expect the majority of our team - especially our younger guys - to have a similar attitude.

And if I had some jackass who walked around antagonizing people and arguing with coaches, he'd be gone. Maybe that's why Harrison wears tiger stripes now instead of the yellow and black.

I'm not really referring to intensity, though...I'm talking about focus. There was a scene where they were discussing the superhero thing while they were doing the rope ladder.

Camp Rex two years ago is sort of what I'm talking about, though. The Jets ended up underachieving that season.

I dunno...I don't really give a crap either way, it just seems that the superhero talk and the butt smooching by the coaches should take place off the field...not during the sessions. Hell, even back in HS, if we were farting around even a little during practice we'd get our asses chewed.

actually that one WR who ended up being held out after he attempted a diving catch...that's the sort of attitude I would expect. He was pissed that he was being held out cause the guy wanted to work on his craft. I could be completely wrong, but I would expect the majority of our team - especially our younger guys - to have a similar attitude.

And if I had some jackass who walked around antagonizing people and arguing with coaches, he'd be gone. Maybe that's why Harrison wears tiger stripes now instead of the yellow and black.

What you seem to think camp should be doesn't exist for any team at any level of amatuer or professional sports. What you see on this show is NOT guys losing focus, it's guys being people, and that's exactly what's going on in Bills camp too.

This show is amazingly well done and very non intrusive for the most part. In fact, Marvin Lewis feels that show being there sharpens their focus and intensity as they don't want to get shown up on national TV.

9-7

9-7 (Thanks to the 14-0 Colts laying down like a bunch of dogs)

11-5

8-8

Seems like the year prior to Hard Knocks was the outlier. The Jets were a creation of the media and a couple lucky playoff wins (thanks largely to opposing FG kickers).

I love Hard Knocks. I really enjoyed last night's show. It was heartbreaking to see Larry Black get hurt. That Oklahoma drill is intense (I remember doing it back when I played in high school - it is not for the faint of hear). I really got a kick out of watching Gresham and Geno Atkins go at it.

When you watch and appreciate what these guys do and the risks that they take each day, it puts the one note keyboard jockeys into context. On the one hand, you have guys in sports (or other endeavors) who take all of the risks and try to accomplish something, on the other hand, you have the "critics" with their own agendas who, even with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, have trouble getting it right.

When i was a kid i use to get full access to the Bills training camp at Fredonia.

I also played football into college. This was pretty accurate of how camp is. You are around a bunch of guys for weeks. You start to act like kids. I mean you are playing a kids game as an adult. Some part of you still acts like you did when you started playing the game.

The Bengals should be damn good this year. My pick to win the AFC North.

Funniest thing to me was them having to wait for the crossing guard to go from the locker room to the practice field. Hillarious.

What you seem to think camp should be doesn't exist for any team at any level of amatuer or professional sports. What you see on this show is NOT guys losing focus, it's guys being people, and that's exactly what's going on in Bills camp too.

This show is amazingly well done and very non intrusive for the most part. In fact, Marvin Lewis feels that show being there sharpens their focus and intensity as they don't want to get shown up on national TV.

Totally disagree. The level of focus in camp is dictated by the coaching staff and the environment. Camps today are different than what they were back twenty years ago, and if Hard Knocks were around during the early 90s Cowboys teams, you wouldn't see guys farting around during drills. Mark Stepnoski is a family friend and I remember very well hearing stories about what camp was like with Coach Helmet. I'm not talking about downtime...I'm talking about when they're engaged in the drills and the meat of practice.

I haven't seen this year's version yet, but I also love Hard Knocks. It humanizes the sport I think. It takes attention away from the thug aspect which is way overreported and shows you the reality that the vast majority of these players are good guys who work hard and love what they do.

Totally disagree. The level of focus in camp is dictated by the coaching staff and the environment. Camps today are different than what they were back twenty years ago, and if Hard Knocks were around during the early 90s Cowboys teams, you wouldn't see guys farting around during drills. Mark Stepnoski is a family friend and I remember very well hearing stories about what camp was like with Coach Helmet. I'm not talking about downtime...I'm talking about when they're engaged in the drills and the meat of practice.

Gotta be honest, watching the first episode I had the same feelings as you - these guys don't seem very focused. And I know the players are going to joke around and have a little fun, but to your point, probably during drills isn't the best time.

What got me even more was the jokey nature of the staff. They're all just having fun, joking around, getting yelled at by players, and generally not acting as leaders (though again, this is just 60 minutes in a week). Hue Jackson's continual smack talk to the D is going to get that little Giovani killed (seemed like the D was teeing off on him to get back at Hue.

I just see Marrone and staff acting the same way - way too focused on Football.

Regardless, I love Hard Knocks, it really makes you think about what a crazy business and game Football is. The guy getting hurt at the end was brutal for him, poor kid...

Gotta be honest, watching the first episode I had the same feelings as you - these guys don't seem very focused. And I know the players are going to joke around and have a little fun, but to your point, probably during drills isn't the best time.

What got me even more was the jokey nature of the staff. They're all just having fun, joking around, getting yelled at by players, and generally not acting as leaders (though again, this is just 60 minutes in a week). Hue Jackson's continual smack talk to the D is going to get that little Giovani killed (seemed like the D was teeing off on him to get back at Hue.

Regardless, I love Hard Knocks, it really makes you think about what a crazy business and game Football is. The guy getting hurt at the end was brutal for him, poor kid...

You saw 1 hour of a week of practice... Scratch that 25 min of a week of practice. What do you think a TV show is going to show you, the boring nature of practice or the jokes that connect the people to the players. Remember this is a TV show.

Edited by BuffaloFood

You saw 1 hour of a week of practice... Scratch that 25 min of a week of practice. What do you think a TV show is going to show you, the boring nature of practice or the jokes that connect the people to the players. Remember this is a TV show.

That's exactly why I brought up the topic, but I guess that's what happens when you're more focused on making stupid comments than actually contributing something meaningful to the discussion.

Anyway, I actually realized that I had another NFL contact through a friend of mine, so I reached out to them last night...he's been in camp with the Falcons, Bengals, and Dolphins. He said that the focus now is different than it used to be since it's much more of a year round business. The majority of players come into camp in pretty good shape, so they just need to get acclimated to the hitting and the game speed again before the regular season. He said there is usually a significant psychological component for those who had any sort of serious or season ending injury the year before...often times camp for them is therapeutic and they have to learn how to allow themselves to play at full speed again. Sometimes it takes peers/coaches to point out to them how they are still showing apprehension or holding back even when they don't realize it.

But the intensity of camp has really been toned down from where it used to be, and he mentioned the Kory Stringer death as something every player is mindful of even though it happened years ago. I told him the stories I heard through Stepnoski from Camp Jimmy, and he said he thinks that was probably much more intense than anything he's been a part of, and then reiterated this was mainly because of a greater focus on year round conditioning. I asked him about the goofing around specifically and he said that the rules are sort of different depending on the player. Typically the vets have far more leeway in terms of attitude, but everyone is expected to be focused during team drills since it can put others at risk if one person isn't paying attention to what they're supposed to be doing. As others have mentioned, though, there is often a lot of goofing around during down time and sometimes it can appear that they're not entirely focused, but it's not something the coaches allow to go unchecked if it's an issue.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...

Ever watch recaps of teams and their camps etc? Or videos by fans? It looks nothing like goofing around or bs. The beganls are a joke. Look out for the browns on the afcn

Exactly, that's why I became interested after the other night's episode. All these teams are, reportedly, avoiding Hard Knocks like the plague, so that just makes me all the more curious as to whether it's a distraction to the players. Obviously many of them play to the camera, so it's interesting to know to what degree they have to account for or deal with that variable.

The one thing that really was interesting to me was the way the defensive coach interacted with Harrison. He basically told Harrison to take it easy on the "merchandise" or something like that, referring to AJ Green, and Harrison essentially disregarded that and said if he did that it would look like he wasn't doing HIS job. The coach was sort of laughing it off while trying to get his point across at the same time, and the whole thing just looked awkward. I just was contrasting that with Mario Williams, since he's our most identifiable player on D, and his comments have always been indicative of compliance with what the coaching staff directed him to do. Having a chip on your shoulder is one thing...that can serve a purpose....but that looked borderline insubordinate to me.

I laughed watching James Harrison punk his own coach.

lol, exactly...but would you laugh if that was a Bills coach?