League alters stadium bag policy

I've been a season ticket holder for coming up on 26 years, and I've never once brought a bag into a game. Blankets? Sure. Extra clothes? Yep. Duffel bag? Not once.

Another change that doesn't affect me at all...guess I'll keep going to games.

I am not a season ticket holder but go to 2-4 games per year. I always bring a bag for xt clothes, rain gear, or blankets. Sometimes just so I can keep track of clothing if I get too hot. Not to mention the pockets in my original Zubaz are terrible so it holds my wallet and phone

This rule I think discourages attendance at cold weather and/or late games

Edited by Mango

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I renew my seasons annually after they expire so (long story, missed a season due to job situation and lost seniority so screw it) I end up moving a lot but this year I haven't renewed and this certainly doesn't make me run to the phone to call and order em. Games have become a pain to be honest. The lines suck, this doesn't make it any better by any stretch because everyone will just use the clear bags, still requiring handling by these rent-a-cops. The crowd seems to get worse and more annoying every year. $9 crap beers (in Boston a few years ago I got a Sam Adams for $7!). The NFL really just wants your money, they want to minimize anything you can "sneak" in so they can sell you more. This war and terror (aka: epic fail) has been used as a fear tactic to strip everyone of their rights and liberties even when we want to enjoy a football game on Sunday. The Culture of Fear is a alive and profitable. And I don't carry anything in, I'm just getting sick of the greedy NFL... from this to the desire to a team in London, it's all just a game of follow the money. I enjoy the Bills, but as I age, it becomes less important and less worth it, particularly when it becomes just like real life... a reminder of greed and control and loss of privacy. So I was 50/50 on seats this year, this drops it for me. And if games don't sell out, and they won't, I'm OK with it. I no longer feel obligated to support this team or league and I think that sentiment is becoming pervasive among many fans who find it easier to watch the league at home, even if your team isn't on or is blacked out. I hope the feds step in and end some of the perks the NFL gets, like the blackouts that rob taxpayers who support these stadia from seeing games because they can't afford a seat... or in strong markets (ie not Bflo) can't get a seat.

I read the policy....actually, its not much different than the policy that was already in place . I actually have had that plastic bag they describe for more than 10 years. That is transparent, 1'x1'. I carry poncho's, small radio, binocs, sandwiches, chips whatever....just not liquids. Of course, my grey hair helps me through security. Younger folks get treated worse, I have seen it. (Although, last year I had to hold my i phone out in the rain so they could wand me. They said it was for the good of my i phone, the wand can damage them allegedly. Like putting it out in the rain could not!) I agree, the security provisions take away from the game experience substantially, and the lines are horrendous. I am likely a short timer as a season ticket holder, can't take this much longer.

I honestly don't care if the entire NFL doesn't sell out, and none of the games are available in their markets. The NFL is basically telling me that they don't want my money. I'm more than happy to not give it to them. They are a business, and I am their target demographic. I don't own them anything.

This, over not being able to bring your bag and instead bring a small, clear one? Wow.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I don't mind this policy at all. It should help with waiting times at the gate, which have become ridiculous with all of the "bag-checking" that has to be done.

As for bringing in your own food/drink -- hasn't been a concern for me since I outgrew stuffing the sleeves of my parka with beer cans.

My only problem with it is when we suck on the field, to show our displeasure and embarrassment, if we pull plastic bags over our head, we'll DIE!!!

The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

Need a seat cushion, wear Depends, bring in cardboard, fill a 12"x12" bag with newspaper, or STAND the whole game. I wonder if bubble wrap is band?

I honestly don't care if the entire NFL doesn't sell out, and none of the games are available in their markets. The NFL is basically telling me that they don't want my money. I'm more than happy to not give it to them. They are a business, and I am their target demographic. I don't own them anything.

Nobody said you did. You said that the policy makes it easier to watch at home...cool, go for it. My point is that, by doing so, you lose your right to complain if the game doesn't sell out and you can't watch it at home.

This, over not being able to bring your bag aand instead bring a small, clear one? Wow.

Seriously.

My only problem with it is when we suck on the field, to show our displeasure and embarrassment, if we pull plastic bags over our head, we'll DIE!!!

According to the policy, you can still bring a brown paper bag, just fold it up and bring it along.

Do you have a wife?

Yep, and last year she came to 3 games while pregnant with twins (2 of which were in December)...no bag.

I read the policy....actually, its not much different than the policy that was already in place . I actually have had that plastic bag they describe for more than 10 years. That is transparent, 1'x1'. I carry poncho's, small radio, binocs, sandwiches, chips whatever....just not liquids. Of course, my grey hair helps me through security. Younger folks get treated worse, I have seen it. (Although, last year I had to hold my i phone out in the rain so they could wand me. They said it was for the good of my i phone, the wand can damage them allegedly. Like putting it out in the rain could not!) I agree, the security provisions take away from the game experience substantially, and the lines are horrendous. I am likely a short timer as a season ticket holder, can't take this much longer.

I agree the policy has a lot of filler with the DANGEROUS seat cushion the only new item prohibited. The security staff has been under staffed for a long time. Under staffing= longer gate times.

Bills employee Andy Major stated the Bills want to make the games more Family Friendly so I would guess banning of alcohol from stadium grounds is next!

Edited by Hammered a Lot

Nobody said you did. You said that the policy makes it easier to watch at home...cool, go for it. My point is that, by doing so, you lose your right to complain if the game doesn't sell out and you can't watch it at home.

I disagree completely. As long as the team gets tax breaks, governments pay for stadiums, or supply police or any other perks given to NFL teams free of charge, the people paying for all these perks via their taxes should have the right to watch the game on TV if they so choose even if the local team is selling less beer due to empty seats in the stadium.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I disagree completely. As long as the team gets tax breaks, governments pay for stadiums, or supply police or any other perks given to NFL teams free of charge, the people paying for all these perks via their taxes should have the right to watch the game on TV if they so choose even if the local team is selling less beer due to empty seats in the stadium.

I think we're arguing different points...taking issue with the blackout rule is fine. My point is this: you know that the blackout rule exists, and therefore you know that your choice is to buy a ticket or risk not being able to see the game in the event of a non-sellout. Thus, if you live close enough to attend, and don't buy a ticket, you're doing so knowing that you may not get to see the game. Thus you really have no cause to complain if you can't watch it at home. You knew the situation and made a choice; that's fine...you just need to be willing to accept the end result of that choice.

I think we're arguing different points...taking issue with the blackout rule is fine. My point is this: you know that the blackout rule exists, and therefore you know that your choice is to buy a ticket or risk not being able to see the game in the event of a non-sellout. Thus, if you live close enough to attend, and don't buy a ticket, you're doing so knowing that you may not get to see the game. Thus you really have no cause to complain if you can't watch it at home. You knew the situation and made a choice; that's fine...you just need to be willing to accept the end result of that choice.

I see what you mean now and agree. But blackouts are just a sore spot for me in general :)

I renew my seasons annually after they expire so (long story, missed a season due to job situation and lost seniority so screw it) I end up moving a lot but this year I haven't renewed and this certainly doesn't make me run to the phone to call and order em. Games have become a pain to be honest. The lines suck, this doesn't make it any better by any stretch because everyone will just use the clear bags, still requiring handling by these rent-a-cops. The crowd seems to get worse and more annoying every year. $9 crap beers (in Boston a few years ago I got a Sam Adams for $7!). The NFL really just wants your money, they want to minimize anything you can "sneak" in so they can sell you more. This war and terror (aka: epic fail) has been used as a fear tactic to strip everyone of their rights and liberties even when we want to enjoy a football game on Sunday. The Culture of Fear is a alive and profitable. And I don't carry anything in, I'm just getting sick of the greedy NFL... from this to the desire to a team in London, it's all just a game of follow the money. I enjoy the Bills, but as I age, it becomes less important and less worth it, particularly when it becomes just like real life... a reminder of greed and control and loss of privacy. So I was 50/50 on seats this year, this drops it for me. And if games don't sell out, and they won't, I'm OK with it. I no longer feel obligated to support this team or league and I think that sentiment is becoming pervasive among many fans who find it easier to watch the league at home, even if your team isn't on or is blacked out. I hope the feds step in and end some of the perks the NFL gets, like the blackouts that rob taxpayers who support these stadia from seeing games because they can't afford a seat... or in strong markets (ie not Bflo) can't get a seat.

Nailed it.

I see what you mean now and agree. But blackouts are just a sore spot for me in general :)

I had a feeling we weren't on the same page there. I have no perspective on the blackouts as a 25-year season ticket holder.

. The economy hasnt recovered either. Spend more money on those two wars

Take it over to PPP

I agree the policy has a lot of filler with the DANGEROUS seat cushion the only new item prohibited. The security staff has been under staffed for a long time. Under staffing= longer gate times.

Bills employee Andy Major stated the Bills want to make the games more Family Friendly so I would guess banning of alcohol from stadium grounds is next!

I don't know if Brandon has enough hair on his balls to ban alcohol from stadium grounds. They would lose half their clientale(including me) & they know it. They could talk a good game about family atmosphere & such but at the end of the day they know exactly what age group & what type of people line their pockets every Sunday.

I agree and you forgot to mention parking hassles and fees for parking. I prefer to just watch at home these days.

As I see it, the seat cushion ban is the biggest gaffe here. Seat cushions provide such a large impact with minimal inconvenience. Especially in wet conditions, keeps your butt dry.

I'm not a big seat cushion guy (hate carrying stuff), but when the entire upper deck seating still consists of metal benches in a cold weather city, I tend to agree with this.

I am upset with the seat cushion ban. I have a serious back problem that needs a support. I can get all the doctors notes etc, but the policy doesn't seem to accomodate that. I think they are crossing the ADA (American Disabilities Act) line on that one, and somebody will straighten them up on that one. I will try nice first, though.

You have no rights in an NFL venue, they can do just about anything they want- you make a choice to buy a ticket and go in... if you don't like, like I don't stay home or go to a sports bar to watch the game (I guess unless you are blacked out)....

I am upset with the seat cushion ban. I have a serious back problem that needs a support. I can get all the doctors notes etc, but the policy doesn't seem to accomodate that. I think they are crossing the ADA (American Disabilities Act) line on that one, and somebody will straighten them up on that one. I will try nice first, though.

I got a back problem too. It's called No azz er lack of padding of the gluteus maximus!

http://www.nfl.com/allclear#question13

If I have certain items that I need to bring into the stadium for medical reasons and they won’t fit in the clear bag, what do I do?

There will be a separate entrance to allow screening of these bags and medically necessary items.

The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

Yeah, because no person with a functioning brain can FEEL/SQUEEZE a seat cushion (in about 5 secs) to see that it is indeed FULL of FOAM, and not filled with C4, wires, etc. What a$$es the NFL "brain trust" are.

Also, I'm sure it's "for our own good", same story as the NSA reading your e-mails & listening to your phone calls & monitoring your social messages. LOL

And if games don't sell out, and they won't, I'm OK with it. I no longer feel obligated to support this team or league and I think that sentiment is becoming pervasive among many fans who find it easier to watch the league at home, even if your team isn't on or is blacked out. I hope the feds step in and end some of the perks the NFL gets, like the blackouts that rob taxpayers who support these stadia from seeing games because they can't afford a seat... or in strong markets (ie not Bflo) can't get a seat.

It's not just football. Major pro sports have all become very, very expensive, as well as a PITA (traffic, parking, high prices for food/drink, unruly/dickhead fans, etc). Have you watched any NASCAR races lately and seen the LOADS of empty seats when they go to the blimp shot?

Can you imagine killing yourself to show displeasure in your team?

Now there's a true fan.

No a true fan puts bag over head of one of the drunk assh0les and goes to court and proves it is justifiable homicide.

Sorry I do not have that much guts.

This sucks. I wonder if they took cold weather teams into consideration. I have worn cold weather clothes before that had to be taken off as well as extra blankets and hats I didn't wear but glad I had with me. So much for always being a boy scout and going to the game "being prepared".

It's not just football. Major pro sports have all become very, very expensive, as well as a PITA (traffic, parking, high prices for food/drink, unruly/dickhead fans, etc). Have you watched any NASCAR races lately and seen the LOADS of empty seats when they go to the blimp shot?

Empty seats at Nascar events is because the races have become boring. Unlike the NFL, @ a Nacar event you can bring in a cooler and your own food, seat cushion, and when you have run out of supplies, you can get a gate pass for reentry after you restocked at your car. I have only seen one fight at a NASCAR event. At the Ralph, I have lost track!

Empty seats at Nascar events is because the races have become boring. Unlike the NFL, @ a Nacar event you can bring in a cooler and your own food, seat cushion, and when you have run out of supplies, you can get a gate pass for reentry after you restocked at your car. I have only seen one fight at a NASCAR event. At the Ralph, I have lost track!

So choice is between boring and fights......