T Jax released

I hope he doesn't have TOO much info on the basic playbook to give to whichever team he lands on (hopefully not a team in the AFC East). Thats one thing that becomes playing chess when releasing players. You have to teach them the playbook but not fully just in case they get released. Being a coach sure isnt fun when it comes to that cuz it's a business, not high school football where you know your players are there til the end.

I'm worried that we cut a WR late in the game and the Cheatriots sign them to get our playbook.

With Tarvaris's release, the Bills gain $1.75 mil cap space.

Good, give it to Jarius and sign him for 8.5 mil per season.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have about 20 Million in cap room now. The 1.75 million was his total cap space hit if he played the whole year. He is still 550k of dead space, so we only pick up 1.2 Million ( which is still nice).

Assuming Byrd gets the 9 Million a year that his agent wants, and EJ signs a 4-5 yr 9-10 Million dollar deal, with 4 million of so counting against us this yr, we are looking at about 7 Million in cap space left. Not to bad, considering we still have a ton of players that will be cut and add some min wage contract space to our cap. Probably enough to sign 2 more linemen if the coaches feel it's needed.

This in a nutshell. Think about it from this perspective. If the Bills had any notion in their minds that someone would have picked E.J. ahead of them AND had no intention of drafting any other quarterback in the first round, then what they did with Jackson makes complete sense. In terms of Marrone, we'll never know how much of a hand he had in making picks in the draft. But, there's ZERO doubt that he would have been asked for his opinion and been intimately involved with determining what the draft board would have looked like. There's not a GM in the NFL that just tells the HC that they're going to draft whoever they want and that they're just going to have to work with what they get. This is particularly true when you're talking about a new HC and new offensive and defensive systems that require certain types of players to be successful. We have the benefit of judging the intelligence of moves with hindsight. I'm pretty sure that most GM's in the NFL are bright guys that take in a boatload of information before making decisions.

Thank you. I agree with your points. A FO works in harmony to work at all.

I understand your position and don't agree. I recall listening to Marrone's soundbites and he was unbelievably deferential to Nix and the job done by the scouting department. I don't think there's an actor alive who could pull this off if it weren't the case.

Unfortunately, we'll never know the truth.

Of course he was. What did you expect him to say? But when it came to picking the picks, I'm convinced it was Marrone who had first and last say, not Buddy--and not Russ.

I am sure you're wrong. Marrone admitted to never even meeting some of the draft propects.

Whaley, Brandon and Nix did the world tour to scout and work out players and there are scores of staff that feed into their ranking process.

Do you think infamous "cheap Ralph" would have all these front office guys on payroll if the head coach could pull a draft board out of thin air? In three months he scouted 100+ prospects that weren't even playing, while pulling a coaching staff together?

This is a half a billion dollar business, they are running at OBD, not the local volunteer peewee team sponsored by John and Mary's.

Saying this draft has Brandon or Whaleys prints on it, ok possible, but Marrone? That is absurd and quite naive.

I have no doubt the scouts did the scouting--it wasn;t thin air. But when it came time to make the board, I'm sure Marrone's voice was the one which carried the most weight (do you really think Russ was picking players or are you just being funny?).

So we have about 20 Million in cap room now. The 1.75 million was his total cap space hit if he played the whole year. He is still 550k of dead space, so we only pick up 1.2 Million ( which is still nice).

Is that how that works? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression his contract was for $2.25 mil including bonuses and escalators. The $550k in bonuses is dead money, and that brings the total to $1.75 saved on the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tarvaris-jackson/

I am familiar with the GM's job description. I'm comfortable believing that Marrone knew exactly what he wanted and thet he was very familiar with Buddy's limitations as GM. Sure, they all sat around and discussed the picks/prospects. But it's impossible for me to believe Marrone told Buddy, at ANY time, "hey, go out and find me a.....". Marrone was scouting the prospects as soon as he arrived. I'm sure he dominated the creation of the draft board, not Buddy.

I'm sure Marrone looked at this TJax fiasco of Buddy's and said WTF??. Out of respect, he waited until OTA's to dump this goofy signing.

Whaley had responsibility for putting the draft board together. Where Marrone had a major say is in assessing the roster he inherited. It's obvious that he wasn't too impressed with what he saw on tape of the roster he was inheriting. There was no doubt that prior to the draft Nix and the upper tier brass were determined to come out of this draft with a legitimate franchise qb prospect. I'm sure that Marrone and Hackett had a major say in the ranking of the qbs. What is now being done is to a large extent undoing the work of the prior GM.

Of course he was. What did you expect him to say? But when it came to picking the picks, I'm convinced it was Marrone who had first and last say, not Buddy--and not Russ.

I have no doubt the scouts did the scouting--it wasn;t thin air. But when it came time to make the board, I'm sure Marrone's voice was the one which carried the most weight (do you really think Russ was picking players or are you just being funny?).

Russ always technically has final say on everything. He's the President, and always the highest-ranking person in the room.

That said, I agree with you that Marrone (with input from Pettine\Hackett) had the most influence over this year's picks. Brandon hired Marrone and then got out of his way.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/24/4263542/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-doug-marrone-likes-ej-manuel

Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net, one of the better-connected NFL Draft reporters in the business, isn't buying the rhetoric that the Buffalo Bills are interested in making Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib their next franchise quarterback.

[...]

"I hear that Doug Marrone really favors E.J. Manuel of Florida State," Pauline said, "for a number of reasons. He'd do a better job at running the read-option, which Marrone tried at Syracuse with Nassib. He's got better physical skills; he's got a better arm than Nassib - and you're going to need somebody with a strong arm to get that ball cut through the winds at Ralph Wilson Stadium in the months of November and December. I think that Manuel comes with more downside risk when you compare him to Nassib - he's not as NFL ready - but if you can coach him correctly and get him throwing with fundamentally sound mechanics and making proper decisions, you're going to have a franchise quarterback there for the next decade."

We gave up a pick for TJ and he never played a down for us. It's the Doug Whaley movement in Buffalo!

This was a mistake from the start. Its not an accident the Bills organization has been spinning its wheels for over a decade. Tarvaris is not an NFL QB. What were the Bills doing when they picked him up?

Chad Johnson wants to pat you on the a$$.

Oh that is good 26.CB On your game . i chuckled as i start to read this threading.

As for our beloved and recently lost Tavaris . he was a super nice kid and never ever lost a game for us . I wish him well .

We could dress Kolb and Manuel and list Smith as QB and then keep an extra receiver on the starting roster right ? some guess we keep six. I can imagine that soon they will seperate themselves at the reciever position but we really have some great competition this preseason .

Could we hide Tuel on the PS ? depends .

I agreee it's some smart coaching to sort the two vets right off. and that shows how they feel about Manuel.

Interesting season i must say this year so far :flirt:

The Jets are down about eleven quarterbacks. They'll probably sign TJ.

Oh jeebus fell of my chair and scared the cat!

Fixed that for you. Marrone dumped the guy Buddy signed twice (and traded for) and who never played a down.

More evidence that Marrone ran this draft and is making all of the major personnel decisions since he got here. Can't be a bad thing.

Is that you sounding .. well ..ahem..pleased ?

I'll go back to what I've said before; namely, that the GM's job is to get the players his coaches want. So it's perfectly reasonable to presume Marrone had a great deal of input into the draft. Still, it was Buddy's staff scouting the players, ranking them, and pulling the trigger.

I can't for the life of me explain the TJax experiment. Very bizarre.

A false sense of security ??

Oh that is good 26.CB On your game . i chuckled as i start to read this threading.

As for our beloved and recently lost Tavaris . he was a super nice kid and never ever lost a game for us . I wish him well .

We could dress Kolb and Manuel and list Smith as QB and then keep an extra receiver on the starting roster right ? some guess we keep six. I can imagine that soon they will seperate themselves at the reciever position but we really have some great competition this preseason .

Could we hide Tuel on the PS ? depends .

I agreee it's some smart coaching to sort the two vets right off. and that shows how they feel about Manuel.

Interesting season i must say this year so far :flirt:

Oh jeebus fell of my chair and scared the cat!

Just having a little fun with things on TSW.

This just in: @Rotoworld_FB

Report: Tarvaris Jackson to visit Seahawks http://dlvr.it/3Vr5PD

Wouldn't it be something if he ends up back with Seattle?

Another crap move by Nix trading for this guy especially considering Seattle was going to cut him. Fully suspect Kolb will start week one.

ehh- call it an insurance policy. you pay for it and hope you won't need it. not exactly all state or farmers, but insurance regardless.