Unpopular movie opinions

Talley56

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 movies that i will always watch are Dogma, A League of Their Own, and O Brother Where Art Thou....ALWAYS!!!!

Such a great Sunday afternoon cable movie. Bona fide!

No one. Just promoting a good trilogy.

I got the extended blu ray thing for my girlfriend and I watched it with her. The extra scenes make it better. It flows better and makes the story more enjoyable. Possibly the only case I can think of where adding scenes improved it.

Thanks - I really have to get the DVD set. I was reading her or maybe it was the show's IMDB page and somebody had asked awhile ago if she had done something to piss Judd Apatow off - because Seth Rogan and all the other people on F&G had done a lot of work with him since, but not Linda C...........Seems like she was MIA until she popped up on Mad Men.

I had heard that she had some issues with James Franco (as did a few of the female cast members it sounds like), but never Apatow.

When she was on the show, she was still fairly young. She did those "Scooby-Doo" fliks (she played the dykey Thelma), which I never saw, but were moderately successful. I know she also turns up a lot on network court-room and police dramas. I believe she was a reuglar cast member on "ER" for about 4 years as well. I think she is a total babe, and has aged very well! Also, when the show was cancelled, I think she was only about 20 years old. She went to college at that point, and got a degree from Loyola Marymount. There was a great "reunion" feature in Vanity Fair last December, catching up with all the cast members. Pretty good read. Really amazingly cast show. Every character, no matter how incidental, is perfect.

There is one episode, near the end, that I swear, could have been ripped out of the diary of just about any white, suburban teen in Buffalo, in 1982. It revolves around going to see The Who ("this is going to be our last chance to ever see them' is repeated over and over! :lol: )... it also benefitted creatively, from low ratings..nobody was watching, Apatow and co. knew they weren't going to make it to a second season before the network ever made it official, so they really focused on ending the show the way they wanted, rather than succumbing to network and advertiser pressures. It was a perfect ending, which was just open enough in case the network (NBC IIRC) decided to give it more time.

I had heard that she had some issues with James Franco (as did a few of the female cast members it sounds like), but never Apatow.

When she was on the show, she was still fairly young. She did those "Scooby-Doo" fliks (she played the dykey Thelma), which I never saw, but were moderately successful. I know she also turns up a lot on network court-room and police dramas. I believe she was a reuglar cast member on "ER" for about 4 years as well. I think she is a total babe, and has aged very well! Also, when the show was cancelled, I think she was only about 20 years old. She went to college at that point, and got a degree from Loyola Marymount. There was a great "reunion" feature in Vanity Fair last December, catching up with all the cast members. Pretty good read. Really amazingly cast show. Every character, no matter how incidental, is perfect.

There is one episode, near the end, that I swear, could have been ripped out of the diary of just about any white, suburban teen in Buffalo, in 1982. It revolves around going to see The Who ("this is going to be our last chance to ever see them' is repeated over and over! :lol: )... it also benefitted creatively, from low ratings..nobody was watching, Apatow and co. knew they weren't going to make it to a second season before the network ever made it official, so they really focused on ending the show the way they wanted, rather than succumbing to network and advertiser pressures. It was a perfect ending, which was just open enough in case the network (NBC IIRC) decided to give it more time.

That is great! My friend and I were driving up to Toronto 6 months ago and jokingly said This is our last chance to see The Who! Just like we did 30+ years ago!!

No one. Just promoting a good trilogy.

I guess this is going to go the way of the "guilty pleasure songs" threads. They start out with people getting the theme of I know Wake Me Up Before I Go Go sucks, but I secretly like it.............Then, by the end people are naming Kashmir as a guilty pleasure.

Totally agree with both of these assessments!

I did see the first Star Wars when it was this surprise hit in 1977. I had no intention of seeing it, but my friend was going with his Dad and I had nothing else to do..............And, I surprisingly totally loved it.

Not enough to actually see the next two movies in the series, though.............And, then I did finally get around to watching Episode 1 - the fourth one that came out years later and hated it as much as I hate Star Trek stuff, Lord of the Rings stuff, super hero stuff, vampire stuff, zombie stuff. Basically 95% of what I see advertised today.

Give me real people doing real things during a real time in history.

I am an uabashed Star Trek fan... but in genral, I agree...I loathe super hero movies and other genre type things. Sometimes, you find yourself watching movies you don't want to see, or shows you don't want to watch, and occaisionally, some are better than you expected.

I started watching "The Walking Dead" for instance, because my girlfriend loves that kind of stuff..."True Blood' as well. We rarely like the same shows...I prefer "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "Rectify", all which she hates. I thought the "Walking Dead" was pretty good for a while (not great), and "True Blood" had a great concept, but is just freaking awful to watch...I bailed on it years ago.

I think the thing that Star Trek had (note I said "had", not "has") when Gene Rodenberry was running the show, was that there was an unusual amount of care taken into building characters, particularly for a science-fiction action show. That is why it will always stand head and shoulders above other sci-fi /fantasy type things for me. But, I have never seen, and have no interest in seeing "Lord Of the Rings" or "Harry Potter" or any other franchise series like this. Essentially, they are all the same....or leave me feeling the same..."when will this be over?"

I am an uabashed Star Trek fan... but in genral, I agree...I loathe super hero movies and other genre type things. Sometimes, you find yourself watching movies you don't want to see, or shows you don't want to watch, and occaisionally, some are better than you expected.

I started watching "The Walking Dead" for instance, because my girlfriend loves that kind of stuff..."True Blood' as well. We rarely like the same shows...I prefer "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "Rectify", all which she hates. I thought the "Walking Dead" was pretty good for a while (not great), and "True Blood" had a great concept, but is just freaking awful to watch...I bailed on it years ago.

I think the thing that Star Trek had (note I said "had", not "has") when Gene Rodenberry was running the show, was that there was an unusual amount of care taken into building characters, particularly for a science-fiction action show. That is why it will always stand head and shoulders above other sci-fi /fantasy type things for me. But, I have never seen, and have no interest in seeing "Lord Of the Rings" or "Harry Potter" or any other franchise series like this. Essentially, they are all the same....or leave me feeling the same..."when will this be over?"

OMG - I watched the first Lord of the Rings. I didn't know all that much about it, except that it got so many awards, etc. I figured it had to be great. "When will this be over?" was all I kept thinking.

That is great! My friend and I were driving up to Toronto 6 months ago and jokingly said This is our last chance to see The Who! Just like we did 30+ years ago!!

Not to hi-jack this thread into a "Freaks & Geeks" love-fest...but this is a great, small, scene that kind of epitomizes the heart of the show, freak meets geek...

I agree with both of those. I think "Blair Witch" was very good and appealed to people who don't need to be spoon fed every detail - it makes your brain scare the **** out of you. I didn't want to sleep in the woods for awhile after that.

I'd add Napolean Dynamite to the Office Space category - I see them exactly the same way. They are both movies that had great writing but were horribly executed.

Blair Witch is the only movie that's ever given me nightmares.

I don't hate Waterworld, but I do have to admit that I really enjoy calling it "Fishtar."

Al Pacino has become pretty much unwatchable.

You don't watch Al Pacino anymore. You just close your eyes and listen WHILE HE SCREAMS ALL HIS LINES!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the directors of Ocean's 13 told him "Whatever you do, do not yell your lines." You could see it was almost causing him physical pain, holding back.

Blair Witch is the only movie that's ever given me nightmares.

I don't hate Waterworld, but I do have to admit that I really enjoy calling it "Fishtar."

ill agree with Blair Witch. Not exactly nightmares but as a grown man I've only been freaked out enough where I couldn't sleep after watching 2 movies. Blair Witch (which I watched the first night it came out when the rumors were that it was true) and The Grudge. That freaky little Asian kid and that corpse thing was freaky as hell.

ill agree with Blair Witch. Not exactly nightmares but as a grown man I've only been freaked out enough where I couldn't sleep after watching 2 movies. Blair Witch (which I watched the first night it came out when the rumors were that it was true) and The Grudge. That freaky little Asian kid and that corpse thing was freaky as hell.

"Nightmares" might be an exaggeration...I wasn't terrified, but all night after watching that movie I kept dreaming the last scene and waking up and saying "Whoa...what the !@#$?"

"Nightmares" might be an exaggeration...I wasn't terrified, but all night after watching that movie I kept dreaming the last scene and waking up and saying "Whoa...what the !@#$?"

I had trouble sleeping after watching The Road. Thinking about that movie still freaks me out.

I was bored and hated the movie the entire way. I guess it did get its message across though because I was pretty freaked out afterwards when I was driving my friend back home in Eden traveling on some very obscure, heavily wooded roads in the middle of nowhere.