Unpopular movie opinions

Talley56

Honestly, I thought Galifinakas was a great comedian, used to love his old MTV series...and in the early days of the Jimmy Kimmell show, he would co-host from time to time, and he was unbelievably funny...but, like a lot of these people, what made them great doesn't always translate well into main-stream movies...especially "franchise" things like "The Hangover". Same goes for Ed Helms...he can be really funny, but suffers from overexposure...and I suppose you might make the same argument about Carrell. Rogan gets a pass,to a degree, for me, because he was in "Freaks & Geeks". Being a high-school kid in the early 80's, I have been told by quite a few people, who knew me then, that Rogans' character on that show was "exactly like" me...we even look a bit alike, though I have considerably thinner hair now!

I never really heard of Freaks & Geeks until I looked up the chick who Don Draper is cheating with, and found out that she was the star of that show and that it is set in the school year that would have been my freshman year in college. So, now I'm intrigued. Is it really good?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really heard of Freaks & Geeks until I looked up the chick who Don Draper is cheating with, and found out that she was the star of that show and that it is set in the school year that would have been my freshman year in college. So, now I'm intrigued. Is it really good?

Yes...belongs in my "top 10" series of all time. There are only something like 18 episodes, but it is very much worth checking out. Given what I know about you, I think you would really enjoy it too. Never really thought of it until you mentioned the Linda Cardalini link, but in a strange way, it has some of the same appeal as "Mad Men" in that is a "period piece" that doesn't get so lost in the period, that it loses the characters, or the story telling. Great show... many of the same people who would later be involved with "40 Year Old Virgin" were involved...as well as one of the guys behind another of my all-timers "The Larry Sanders" show. I will admit, I wasn't hip to this show when it was on, but when the DVD came out about 5 or 6 years ago, my sister gave it to me, and insisted I would love this show...she was right. For me, I would have been the same age as Linda Cardallinis' character, and there are just so many nuances from that time period that they get so right....

Like Buftex, I think Freak and Geeks is just awesome.

Hated Silver Linings

Watch Waterworld whenever I stumble on yo it

Agree that ALL Carey and Ferrel movies are unwatchable

Did not like Swingers

Thought Tommy Boy sucked

Like Joe Dirt

Hated Wedding Crashers

Just saw 42.. Did not think it was well done

What are yours? Basically do you like any movies that the rest of the world seems to hate or not like any movies that everyone seems to go nuts over. Two that come to mind for me are:

Blaire Witch - This is a movie I really liked even though it has always been criticized. I just thought it was good and suspenseful if you use your imagination.

Office Space - Even though everyone thinks this movie is hilarious I just couldn't get into it. I don't know, just didn't find it very funny at all.

I agree with both of those. I think "Blair Witch" was very good and appealed to people who don't need to be spoon fed every detail - it makes your brain scare the **** out of you. I didn't want to sleep in the woods for awhile after that.

I'd add Napolean Dynamite to the Office Space category - I see them exactly the same way. They are both movies that had great writing but were horribly executed.

Big Lebowski & Princess Bride....don't get the fascination

What are yours? Basically do you like any movies that the rest of the world seems to hate or not like any movies that everyone seems to go nuts over. Two that come to mind for me are:

Blaire Witch - This is a movie I really liked even though it has always been criticized. I just thought it was good and suspenseful if you use your imagination.

Office Space - Even though everyone thinks this movie is hilarious I just couldn't get into it. I don't know, just didn't find it very funny at all.

For you galifanakis haters have you ever watched any of his 'between 2 ferns' episodes on funny or die? Personally I think everything he does is comic gold...'between 2 ferns' is some funny stuff!

Edited by The Poojer

A movie that most people hate that I actually like is "The Village". M.Night Shyamalan films are either loved or hated, and this one definitely falls into the latter category. I thought it was a good story, the acting is good, Bryce Dallas Howard really shines, and the sense of fear is created well. The big issue with this movie is that it was promoted as a horror/thriller, which it definitely is not.

Agreed on the village. I still don't get the haters on that one.

Lady in the water, on the other hand....

I always kind of liked Caddyshack 2 more than 1. Of course Murray is amazing but other than that, I just don't find the rest of it funny. I also grew up watching the 90s movies like Caddyshack 2, Weekend at Bernie's, Mannequin, etc...

I enjoyed Caddyshack 2 when I was a kid, mostly because it was on HBO all the time when I was younger. I saw part of it in recent years and realized how dumb I was as a kid. I miss those days though. If I could find a piece of garbage like that entertaining, life could not have been any easier. At least some of the movies from my youth have held up well over the years. Spaceballs was another one I watched all the time and thank god, that is still just as incredible today.

I think Scarface is stupid and cheesy.

I hate the Lord of the Rings stuff. Those hour long battle scenes are so boring it makes life not worth living.

I liked Brown Bunny. If you stick it out [not trying to make a joke here] to the end, it's really touching and sad.

I liked Killing Them Softly a lot.

Movies that I LOVE, but everyone else seems to hate:

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

2. Lost Highway

3. The Postman and Waterworld (both "razzie" winning, Kevin Costner efforts)

4. Inland Empire

5. I Heart Huckabees

6. Original Clash of the Titans (the Harry Hamlin version with the cheesy claymation and bad makeup)

7. The Mack (blaxploitation film that 8 people in the world have probably seen)

Movies that I don't like, but everyone else seems to love

1. Any 90s or early 2000s film with Adam Sandler

2. Matrix Revolutions

3. "The Dark Knight" ( didn't hate it, but everyone seemed to think it was cinematic genius - I just thought it was "pretty good" but not nearly as good as "Batman Begins" or "The Dark Knight Rises")

Edited by Juror#8

Top Gun is homoeroticism at its finest and I can't for the life of me see why people love this movie or deem it as a guy flick.

Yes, Top Gun is worthless crap. Even if you can fight your way through the humorless tough guy mirrored-sunglasses posturing, take a look at the letdown of a leading lady. Kelly McGillis? That's the big prize? No thank you.

Piece of crap movie.

i'll join the club but i would have to say i didn't even see the original back in the day...not my movie style...same with star trek...i'll pass...i've even passed on all of the super hero movies that have come out, again, not my cup of tea

I can't truly comment on this..as I only saw the original back whe n it was in theaters...didn't think it was that great either.