Unpopular movie opinions

Talley56

What are yours? Basically do you like any movies that the rest of the world seems to hate or not like any movies that everyone seems to go nuts over. Two that come to mind for me are:

Blaire Witch - This is a movie I really liked even though it has always been criticized. I just thought it was good and suspenseful if you use your imagination.

Office Space - Even though everyone thinks this movie is hilarious I just couldn't get into it. I don't know, just didn't find it very funny at all.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talley...100% agree on your opinions...it has become popular to dog "Blair Witch Project", because it inspired so many imitators, some arguably better, most just awful. What people who hate on it seem to miss, in context of the times it came out, it was pretty innovative, and clever. Still think it was a fine movie.

"Office Space", while I didn't hate it, is not the masterpiece it is purported to be...it seems like people just need to have 'one liners" and "tag lines" to make a movie "brilliant". Like a nation of Michael Scotts out there...minus the irony. I like Mike Judge, and this film was made in my hometown...but for some reason, I can't stand the actor Ron Livingston...

Will Farrell is not all that funny.

Silver Linings Playbook was not really good (although Jennifer Lawrence is attractive).

Star Trek > Star Wars

About 75% in agreement. Can't stand Will Farrell (the unfunniest man alive, this side of Jim Carey, for me)....and "Star Trek" is ions better than "Star Wars"...but I haven't seen "Silver Linings Playbook"...but yeah, you are right, Jennifer Lawrence is kind of a hotty!

I don't like Will Ferrell movies, hated The Hangover, thought Top Gun was garbage. I'm sure I've got plenty more.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am not alone...loving this thread!

Battlefield Earth comes immediatly to mind. I liked it, but most people hated it.

Haven't seen "Battlefield Earth", so I can't comment...but am I the only person who didn't hate "Waterworld"? Didn't love it either, but far from the disaster it seems to be remembered as...and just interesting enough, conceptually to keep my attention for 2.5 hours...

Of course, we agree Buftex. The only comic I dislike more than Ferrell is Jim Carrey! I was going to mention that I don't like Dumb and Dumber, but I have to admit I never watched the whole thing. My friends love it, and I gave it a try, and after 20 minutes I said maybe some other time.

Napoleon Dynomite, Hangover, Hangover 2, Any movie with Jonah Hill and that other fat curly headed F#%K, anything with Steve Carrell (minus Anchorman), Borat are by far the worst movies on the planet. The fact that some people actually think these movies are good or funny makes me want to punch a baby.

I always kind of liked Caddyshack 2 more than 1. Of course Murray is amazing but other than that, I just don't find the rest of it funny. I also grew up watching the 90s movies like Caddyshack 2, Weekend at Bernie's, Mannequin, etc...

You didn't like 40 Year Old Virgin or Moneyball?

40 year old virgin makes me want to suffocate myself. It was kinda funny the first time, after that, it's just annoying. Kind of like Zach Galifinakas or whatever his name is.

I haven't seen Moneyball. I'm a fan of Pitt, but hate Hill and honestly, I don't really like baseball either.

Napoleon Dynomite, Hangover, Hangover 2, Any movie with Jonah Hill and that other fat curly headed F#%K, anything with Steve Carrell (minus Anchorman), Borat are by far the worst movies on the planet. The fact that some people actually think these movies are good or funny makes me want to punch a baby.

I always kind of liked Caddyshack 2 more than 1. Of course Murray is amazing but other than that, I just don't find the rest of it funny. I also grew up watching the 90s movies like Caddyshack 2, Weekend at Bernie's, Mannequin, etc...

Okay...leave it to mrags to break the streak..."Borat" is/was hilarious, IMO...also, while Carrell has been in some not so great flicks, he has been in some good ones too (aforementioned "40 Year Old Virgin" comes to mind)....and, if by "that other curly headed !@#$" you are referring to Seth Rogan (or is it Zach Galifinak?), like Carrell, some good some bad... honestly, don't really care for either "Caddyshack" movie. Sometimes, to each his own, but I think, somehow, comedy is more subjective.

40 year old virgin makes me want to suffocate myself. It was kinda funny the first time, after that, it's just annoying. Kind of like Zach Galifinakas or whatever his name is.

I haven't seen Moneyball. I'm a fan of Pitt, but hate Hill and honestly, I don't really like baseball either.

I really don't watch movies more than once. So, seeing 40 year old once was great enough.........I did catch about 20 minutes of on TV last year and I still thought it was great.

If you don't like baseball, I don't like you. :ph34r:

What are yours? Basically do you like any movies that the rest of the world seems to hate or not like any movies that everyone seems to go nuts over. Two that come to mind for me are:

Blaire Witch - This is a movie I really liked even though it has always been criticized. I just thought it was good and suspenseful if you use your imagination.

Office Space - Even though everyone thinks this movie is hilarious I just couldn't get into it. I don't know, just didn't find it very funny at all.

Talley...100% agree on your opinions...it has become popular to dog "Blair Witch Project", because it inspired so many imitators, some arguably better, most just awful. What people who hate on it seem to miss, in context of the times it came out, it was pretty innovative, and clever. Still think it was a fine movie.

I am pleased to find that I am not the only one who likes "The Blair Witch Project". I find this movie to be more creepy than scary. I saw it as more of an old school horror film, where not seeing everything can be more frightening and suspenseful.

A movie that I despise that a lot of people went crazy for is "Juno". The humor was obnoxious and catty. Juno Temple is a horrible person, and no 16 year old girl would have any idea who Dario Argento & Soupy Sales are. This movie was nominated for best picture, why? The big insult is that it actually won an Oscar for screenplay, and it won over "Ratatouille". Ugh!

A movie that most people hate that I actually like is "The Village". M.Night Shyamalan films are either loved or hated, and this one definitely falls into the latter category. I thought it was a good story, the acting is good, Bryce Dallas Howard really shines, and the sense of fear is created well. The big issue with this movie is that it was promoted as a horror/thriller, which it definitely is not.

I'm sure I can think of a lot more, although I don't think I have the strength to get into a Star Trek Vs. Star Wars debate.

I love this thread already.

Okay...leave it to mrags to break the streak..."Borat" is/was hilarious, IMO...also, while Carrell has been in some not so great flicks, he has been in some good ones too (aforementioned "40 Year Old Virgin" comes to mind)....and, if by "that other curly headed !@#$" you are referring to Seth Rogan (or is it Zach Galifinak?), like Carrell, some good some bad... honestly, don't really care for either "Caddyshack" movie. Sometimes, to each his own, but I think, somehow, comedy is more subjective.

i don't like Galifinakas or Rogan.

Ill agree that some of their roles can be good. Like I said, Anchorman. I actually laugh historically at Carrells character in that movie. Just not sure I've ever seen him in anything else I like. That includes The Office. Worst show ever.

Galifinakas is funny in something, I just can't imagine what it is. But I know I've laughed at him before.

I have no idea if this movie is loved or hated, but I thought Crazy Stupid Love with Carrell was absolutely horrible..............But, speaking of Seth Rogan, he was also great in 40 Year Old Virgin. I also don't know what the prevailing opinion on that movie is but that's actually one of my top five all time comedies.

i don't like Galifinakas or Rogan.

Ill agree that some of their roles can be good. Like I said, Anchorman. I actually laugh historically at Carrells character in that movie. Just not sure I've ever seen him in anything else I like. That includes The Office. Worst show ever.

Galifinakas is funny in something, I just can't imagine what it is. But I know I've laughed at him before.

Do you laugh like Abraham Lincoln?

Anchorman is probably the movie that I disagree with the masses the most on.

Honestly, I thought Galifinakas was a great comedian, used to love his old MTV series...and in the early days of the Jimmy Kimmell show, he would co-host from time to time, and he was unbelievably funny...but, like a lot of these people, what made them great doesn't always translate well into main-stream movies...especially "franchise" things like "The Hangover". Same goes for Ed Helms...he can be really funny, but suffers from overexposure...and I suppose you might make the same argument about Carrell. Rogan gets a pass,to a degree, for me, because he was in "Freaks & Geeks". Being a high-school kid in the early 80's, I have been told by quite a few people, who knew me then, that Rogans' character on that show was "exactly like" me...we even look a bit alike, though I have considerably thinner hair now!

Do you laugh like Abraham Lincoln?

Anchorman is probably the movie that I disagree with the masses the most on.

Didn't hate "Anchorman", but, like what are considered such great comedies today (like "Office Space" mentioned earlier), they are funny at setting things up...but then the second half of the movie has to happen, where there has to be a story, and it all falls apart...if Anchorman had been 30 minutes, it would have impressed me much more...but it was just an overextended, awful Saturday Night Live skit that goes on forever...and you just can't wait for it to end.

Edited by Buftex

A movie that most people hate that I actually like is "The Village". M.Night Shyamalan films are either loved or hated, and this one definitely falls into the latter category. I thought it was a good story, the acting is good, Bryce Dallas Howard really shines, and the sense of fear is created well. The big issue with this movie is that it was promoted as a horror/thriller, which it definitely is not.

Haven't seen "Battlefield Earth", so I can't comment...but am I the only person who didn't hate "Waterworld"? Didn't love it either, but far from the disaster it seems to be remembered as...and just interesting enough, conceptually to keep my attention for 2.5 hours...

I liked both of those actually.