Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both were off-of tipped balls.

After watching the video, it looks like Manuel's pass was batted in the air by Rogers. Kolb's looked like it was tipped by the DB.

And although it's early, I'm enthused by what I'm seeing of Rogers and Gragg. That could be a really young receiving corps if they stick, along with Woods and Goodwin.

Alonzo/Bradham pairing. Get used to it folks!

i really like the sound of this combo, potentially a very fast moving, hard hitting pairing. also potentially a bit over aggressive? could be fun.

If they keep doing this, over and over, it's going to get difficult to ignore. From what I can tell the D is way ahead of the O(as it should be at this point), but, every so often this bomb gets dropped in spite of that.

That does mean something, despite no pads, OTAs, yada yada. Executing that play is 100% about athletic ability. It's speed, route running, and a perfect throw.

EJM and Rogers have it, so they can do it. If they keep it up, and I was the coach? I almost have to get that on the field.

with this news, i am just hoping that someone on the coaching staff is nudging a veteran or two to kinda take mr. rogers under their wing and keep some positive influences in his life. i would love for this kid to turn into a great story of turning one's life around. and even though they're only in shorts, it sounds like chemistry is being made here.

From the Day 6 OTA notes:

Thursday saw the following pairings: Alonso-Scott, Alonso-Bradham, Moats-Scott, and Moats-Bradham.

Actually, I think it's likely that the above is what we will need to get used to. In fact, you could do that by down and distance, and I'm gonna have some fun with it :lol: :

1st and 10 their 20-our 30:

Alonso-Bradham

2nd and 5-10 same area:

Alonso-Scott

3rd and 5 same:

Alonso-Scott(cover TEs and RBs)

3rd and 10-15 same:

Moats(blitz)-Scott(cover for Moats blitz)

3rd and 15+ same:

Alonso-Scott(just cover it)

3rd and <5:

Moats-Bradham

Red Zone - our 30

Alonso-Scott Pass

Moats-Bradham Run

Even though I think these make sense, I bet posters can find fault with them, or, better combinations/situations, etc., than I did. And, a lot of the time these LBs could be replaced by nickel backs.

But, that's seems to be the key to this defense: lots of intricate working parts and packages that make it difficult to read the overall plan, or know how each piece fits with the others.

That blows if you're trying to create a software design other people can understand.

But it's great if you're trying to create a defense nobody else can understand.

:lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

If they keep doing this, over and over, it's going to get difficult to ignore. From what I can tell the D is way ahead of the O(as it should be at this point), but, every so often this bomb gets dropped in spite of that.

That does mean something, despite no pads, OTAs, yada yada. Executing that play is 100% about athletic ability. It's speed, route running, and a perfect throw.

EJM and Rogers have it, so they can do it. If they keep it up, and I was the coach? I almost have to get that on the field.

Almost feels like Losman to Evans!!! I hope these two can deliver more than just the once-in-a-while bombs!

After watching the video, it looks like Manuel's pass was batted in the air by Rogers. Kolb's looked like it was tipped by the DB.

And although it's early, I'm enthused by what I'm seeing of Rogers and Gragg. That could be a really young receiving corps if they stick, along with Woods and Goodwin.

Agree. If Rogers and Gragg can come along and claim starting spots, then we could really really have an exciting offense with Spiller, SJ and these rookies and of course along with EJ.

Actually, I think it's likely that the above is what we will need to get used to. In fact, you could do that by down and distance, and I'm gonna have some fun with it :lol: :

Alonso-Bradham

2nd and 5-10 same area:

Alonso-Scott

3rd and 5 same:

3rd and 10-15 same:

3rd and 15+ same:

3rd and <5:

Moats-Bradham

Red Zone - our 30

Alonso-Scott Pass

Moats-Bradham Run

Even though I think these make sense, I bet posters can find fault with them, or, better combinations/situations, etc., than I did. And, a lot of the time these LBs could be replaced by nickel backs.

But, that's seems to be the key to this defense: lots of intricate working parts and packages that make it difficult to read the overall plan, or know how each piece fits with the others.

That blows if you're trying to create a software design other people can understand.

If I'm the Patriots, I go no-huddle week 1. The Bills' D will still be learning the system and I wouldn't give them time to sub in different packages.

If I'm the Patriots, I go no-huddle week 1. The Bills' D will still be learning the system and I wouldn't give them time to sub in different packages.

The Patriots go no huddle most of the timme now anyway, but the Bills D will have been practicing against an ever faster no huddle every day in camp. I doubt that will matter much. The packages for this D isnt going to be the key anyway. All of the defensive players are going to play multiple positions and multiple schemes regardless of who is on the field.

I don't agree at all with OC's pairings, and I would bet anything they are not going to substitute like that. The whole idea of the defense if to disguise what they are ging to be playing and doing. By bringing pairings like that on specific down and distance you lose a little or even a lot of that. I'm sure certain guys will sub in on certain downs if they can. But not all the time.

Alonso-Bradham

2nd and 5-10 same area:

Alonso-Scott

3rd and 5 same:

3rd and 10-15 same:

3rd and 15+ same:

3rd and <5:

Moats-Bradham

Red Zone - our 30

Alonso-Scott Pass

Moats-Bradham Run

Pre-game announcing of the starters is gonna take forever!!

Almost feels like Losman to Evans!!! I hope these two can deliver more than just the once-in-a-while bombs!

Agree. If Rogers and Gragg can come along and claim starting spots, then we could really really have an exciting offense with Spiller, SJ and these rookies and of course along with EJ.

It is exciting but it seems like we are counting on a large number of rookies this year.

Alonso-Bradham

2nd and 5-10 same area:

Alonso-Scott

3rd and 5 same:

3rd and 10-15 same:

3rd and 15+ same:

3rd and <5:

Moats-Bradham

Red Zone - our 30

Alonso-Scott Pass

Moats-Bradham Run

I'd be surprised if Pettine's approach to defense has us cycling through a great number of players. I thought part of the philosophy or approach was to have a base of players who could be used to line up in various packages WITHOUT having to substitute a bunch of players. I'll admit - I don't know whether Pettine likes to substitute a lot, or not. I, for some reason, thought he was going for a starting group that could stay on the field and do a lot without having to use substitutions.

As long as we're all patient, I'm more than willing to get used to it. The two middle LBs in Pettine's D are the most important cogs in his base 34 front. There will be jarring hits and great athletic plays to be sure. But man, there will be times when we are ready to pull our hair out at the dumb plays they make.

GO BILLS!!!

Pre-game announcing of the starters is gonna take forever!!

:lol: Or, maybe the PA announcer has his own deceptive role to play as well? "Starting at Free Safety, number 99, Marcell Dareus!"

I don't agree at all with OC's pairings, and I would bet anything they are not going to substitute like that. The whole idea of the defense if to disguise what they are ging to be playing and doing. By bringing pairings like that on specific down and distance you lose a little or even a lot of that. I'm sure certain guys will sub in on certain downs if they can. But not all the time.

I bet, literally(see above), that many wouldn't.

You make a good point about subbing giving away something....or...maybe you don't.

I'd be surprised if Pettine's approach to defense has us cycling through a great number of players. I thought part of the philosophy or approach was to have a base of players who could be used to line up in various packages WITHOUT having to substitute a bunch of players. I'll admit - I don't know whether Pettine likes to substitute a lot, or not. I, for some reason, thought he was going for a starting group that could stay on the field and do a lot without having to use substitutions.

Taking Kelly's point, but the opposite, along with this packages thing.

What if we sub in people...for the purpose of making it look like we are...only to run an "un-package"?

For example, 3rd and 8, convention says you bring in a nickel. We bring in a nickel, but we blitz him? That's an un-package. :lol: