Rookie Minicamp

Just scanning the article to see what jumps out at me...

EJ Manuel..."Manuel was high or behind on some of his throws during this drill."

Robert Woods..."He dropped a pair of passes"

Kiko Alonso..."sound like a terrible problem"

Marquise Goodwin..."His biggest enemy during the minicamp was his concentration"

Da'Rick Rogers..."he lacks...the burst in and out of his breaks."

Dustin Hopkins..."never really a threat to Rian Lindell's job"

I've read enough. We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDD! :w00t:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To echo what others have said, it sounds like Bob Woods might be a guy that can help the team right away. Looking forward to watching his career as a Buffalo Bill.

I can see that.

An immediate upgrade/threat is Woods i am guessing. Stevie must be delighted and who ever is chucking the ball even moreso.

And more importantly , demand respect from defenses ? The whole game changes for the Bills if we can actually throw the ball anywhere and have some youngsters who will catch and run.

Kind of exciting for Nate i bet. I would be kickin' the stall as a player looking forward to what this coaching staff is doing to improve the future of the organisation.

Could we become relevant again ?

Edited by 3rdand12

I can see that.

An immediate upgrade/threat is Woods i am guessing. Stevie must be delighted and who ever is chucking the ball even moreso.

And more importantly , demand respect from defenses ? The whole game changes for the Bills if we can actually throw the ball anywhere and have some youngsters who will catch and run.

Kind of exciting for Nate i bet. I would be kickin' the stall as a player looking forward to what this coaching staff is doing to improve the future of the organisation.

Could we become relevant again ?

Throw-in the threat of a running QB and it opens things up even more.

So what I'm getting from this thread is its OK to talk up every single player that makes a play in practice but don't you dare express concern over any mistakes.

Can you show examples of posts where this happened?

I recall Dorkington or someone making an erroneous statement about EJ lacking accuracy, a claim that has been conclusively debunked numerous times. That's the only critical statement I recall and it was civilly corrected.

What exactly are you sulking about?

Is there something wrong with us being excited about the Bills rookies working out in pads?

If you've got something to say, say it. Don't sulk like a kid.

Legitimate criticisms are always welcomed.

Can you show examples of posts where this happened?

I recall Dorkington or someone making an erroneous statement about EJ lacking accuracy, a claim that has been conclusively debunked numerous times. That's the only critical statement I recall and it was civilly corrected.

What exactly are you sulking about?

Is there something wrong with us being excited about the Bills rookies working out in pads?

If you've got something to say, say it. Don't sulk like a kid.

Legitimate criticisms are always welcomed.

I didn't state he was inaccurate, but rather I was concerned about what I read. Big difference.

Day 3, still concerned, but still hopeful. :)

I didn't state he was inaccurate, but rather I was concerned about what I read. Big difference.

Day 3, still concerned, but still hopeful. :)

Let's see: after practice number, you were already concerned about his accoracy? And after 3, you're still concerned but less so? Before you gave yourself agita, did you take into account that he hasn't been on the field with a team in months? Or that he is throwing to completely unknown receivers? Or that this is a brand new system?

I think I would wait just a wee bit longer before writing him off.

Given that EJ is having his footwork adjusted, he's going to be off a bit on his passes until he adjusts. Nothing to worry about here...

I really shouldn't be making any predictions based upon watching three 4-minute highlight videos of guys running around in shorts...but that said, it would not surprise me to see Tuel hang around and make the final 53 as the 3rd QB.

I love that "concerned" equals some sort sort of extreme emotion to you guys.

Also, when did I write him off? Other than my mocking "bust" statement after you guys overreacted to my original post. Seriously folks, calm down.

I really shouldn't be making any predictions based upon watching three 4-minute highlight videos of guys running around in shorts...but that said, it would not surprise me to see Tuel hang around and make the final 53 as the 3rd QB.

Logically speaking, it makes more sense to keep him, than both Kolb and TJax.

Given that EJ is having his footwork adjusted, he's going to be off a bit on his passes until he adjusts. Nothing to worry about here...

Sincerely,

R. Fitzpatrick

Couldn't resist. He's going to be up and down for a little bit I'm sure while adjusting but I'm not really making a claim one way or the other. Just hope it works out.

Sincerely,

R. Fitzpatrick

Couldn't resist. He's going to be up and down for a little bit I'm sure while adjusting but I'm not really making a claim one way or the other. Just hope it works out.

Me too, man...I'm rooting for the kid

Why not? Trot his @ss out whenever we're up four touchdowns, with three minutes to go in the fourth... Let him run the clock out, and we'll call that "Tuel Time". -Everyone will LOVE IT.

It also protects our starting QB from cheap shots. -Puh-layoffs B!tches!

Edited by #34fan

Why not? Trot his @ss out whenever we're up four touchdowns, with three minutes to go in the fourth... Let him run the clock out, and we'll call that "Tuel Time". -Everyone will LOVE IT.

It also protects our starting QB from cheap shots. -Puh-layoffs B!tches!

and even more importantly, it gives the fans a great reason to grunt at high volumes like a bunch of wild apes!

How inaccurate can a guy with 68% completion rate last year and over 66% for his career be? Especially considering a lot of the throws were downfield...

I've watched a few of the Florida State game vids where they only show the plays where EJ runs or passes. From what I see, he is accurate on the short passes, which were a great majority of his passes. Florida State ran a dink 'n dunk offense.

Just to test my observations I watched another one tonight. It was vs Maryland in 2012. He threw 5 long passes. He was 1 for 5. 1 was for a TD nicely thrown. 1 was under-thrown. 2 were over thrown with 1 of those being a pick. And 1 was in traffic and the WR didn't hold on to it.

I'm not so sure this kind of performance is going to scare NFL Ds to not stack the box and respect the long pass.

When he gets in I expect Ds to blitz the peejeebers out of him until he learns to beat it. The ole rookie treatment.

I'm not trying to dis the guy, just making an objective observation.

I hope for nothing but the best for him and the Bills. I just think this is a part of his game (long pass) that must improve if he is to be our "franchise QB".

Edited by reddogblitz

I've watched a few of the Florida State game vids where they only show the plays where EJ runs or passes. From what I see, he is accurate on the short passes, which were a great majority of his passes. Florida State ran a dink 'n dunk offense.

Just to test my observations I watched another one tonight. It was vs Maryland in 2012. He threw 5 long passes. He was 1 for 5. 1 was for a TD nicely thrown. 1 was under-thrown. 2 were over thrown with 1 of those being a pick. And 1 was in traffic and the WR didn't hold on to it.

I'm not so sure this kind of performance is going to scare NFL Ds to not stack the box and respect the long pass.

When he gets in I expect Ds to blitz the peejeebers out of him until he learns to beat it. The ole rookie treatment.

I'm not trying to dis the guy, just making an objective observation.

I hope for nothing but the best for him and the Bills. I just think this is a part of his game (long pass) that must improve if he is to be our "franchise QB".

However, you're wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/65051/why-bills-drafted-ej-manuel-in-first-round

He can throw the football vertically down the field

Manuel improved his completion percentage on passes of 20 yards or longer in his junior and senior seasons. In 2012, Manuel completed 49.2 percent of his passes of 20 yards or longer, the highest completion percentage of any of Scouts Inc.’s top six quarterback prospects.

He’s accurate

Manuel completed more than two-thirds of the passes he threw in his career.

In his last three seasons, 81 percent of his passes were on target (passes that were not overthrown, underthrown or wide of his receiver), comparable numbers to Smith (83.4) and Barkley (80.3).

Stats are sometimes misleading but these are advanced stats.

Just his basic stats show otherwise…. how is it that a guy who has a lifetime completion average of 67% and a yards per attempt of a whopping 8.6 yards be inaccurate as a downfield thrower?

Answer: He can't.

Your sample size was too small.

However, you're wrong.

http://espn.go.com/b...-in-first-round

He can throw the football vertically down the field

Manuel improved his completion percentage on passes of 20 yards or longer in his junior and senior seasons. In 2012, Manuel completed 49.2 percent of his passes of 20 yards or longer, the highest completion percentage of any of Scouts Inc.’s top six quarterback prospects.

He’s accurate

Manuel completed more than two-thirds of the passes he threw in his career.

In his last three seasons, 81 percent of his passes were on target (passes that were not overthrown, underthrown or wide of his receiver), comparable numbers to Smith (83.4) and Barkley (80.3).

Stats are sometimes misleading but these are advanced stats.

Just his basic stats show otherwise…. how is it that a guy who has a lifetime completion average of 67% and a yards per attempt of a whopping 8.6 yards be inaccurate as a downfield thrower?

Answer: He can't.

Your sample size was too small.

Yeah, I was going to say that. But if you look at that Maryland game, he was 2-5 in accuracy on the long ball, which is 40%, and still pretty good.

Yeah, I was going to say that. But if you look at that Maryland game, he was 2-5 in accuracy on the long ball, which is 40%, and still pretty good.

I realize I looked at small sample size in the 3 games I watched. It just looked to me that his long balls were not that accurate in all 3 games I saw. One game he completed one, but the WR had to stop and come back and jump up and catch with the DB on him. Sure counted as a completion on his stats, but really it looked like one of those 2 picks Fitz threw vs the Giants a few years ago.

I know stats, blah, blah, blah. But I'm just going by watching and seeing what he does.

I'm not saying he can't throw the long ball, just that I'm not sold he can.

If your going to go by stats alone, you can't say he was 2-5 on long balls vs Maryland. Stat sheet says 1 for 5.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

BTW, I just did a search on Andrew Luck's college completion rate on passes of 20+ yards and found this:

Completion Pct 20+ Yard Throws Notable QB Last 2 College Seasons

2011 2012

Robert Griffin 26.1% 50.7%

Russ Wilson 35.8% 45.6%

Andrew Luck 41.7% 44.3%

Edit: I can't get that to format properly. Basically the first column is 2011 and the 2nd is 2012.

BTW, I just did a search on Andrew Luck's college completion rate on passes of 20+ yards and found this:

Completion Pct 20+ Yard Throws Notable QB Last 2 College Seasons

2011 2012

Russ Wilson 35.8% 45.6%

Andrew Luck 41.7% 44.3%

Edit: I can't get that to format properly. Basically the first column is 2011 and the 2nd is 2012.

2011 2012
Russ Wilson 35.8% 45.6%
Andrew Luck 41.7% 44.3%

Edited by Nanker

I sure hope not. -Always hated it when Tim Allen did that.

depends on the grunts. the grunt of frustration was good, the grunt of being pleased with oneself was ok. but my favorite was the question grunt. maybe it was just being that age at that time.