Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

For what it's worth, which is pretty much peanuts, Jerry Hughes even with a first round contract, is making peanuts.

8/2/2010: Signed a five-year, $9.7 million contract. The deal contains $7 million guaranteed. Another $2.9 million is available through incentives. 2013: $870,000, 2014: $1.095 million,

So he's signed for two years, this year at 870K and next year at 1.1m. He may be able to hit some of the incentives but he likely won't play much, and we'd probably be thrilled to pay him those incentives because that means he played pretty good. I don't expect much out of him but I gave up on Shep for the most part, and Hughes has skills. This is all about Dansby for me.

Even though Hughes had Freeney and Mathis around him in Indy I still believe he's in a better situation here in Buffalo. We've got loads of talent on defense that should benefit Hughes greatly. Especially if we land Karlos. I was wondering where the Bills was going to find another pass rusher to compliment Mario. Here's to hoping Hughes is the one!

I like this trade simply because it was painful to watch Sheppard on the field

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

No hard feelings against him, but fare thee well!!

For what it's worth, which is pretty much peanuts, Jerry Hughes even with a first round contract, is making peanuts.

So he's signed for two years, this year at 870K and next year at 1.1m. He may be able to hit some of the incentives but he likely won't play much, and we'd probably be thrilled to pay him those incentives because that means he played pretty good. I don't expect much out of him but I gave up on Shep for the most part, and Hughes has skills. This is all about Dansby for me.

This is what I was wondering--what's the net cap hit? It appears pretty small.

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

In two years I can only think of one memorable (positive) play -- Shep hitting Vick up the middle, forcing a Wilson pick 6. That's just not enough from your starting MLB.

I was excited about him and his potential, and wanted him on the field and pulled for him, but he simply never looked good on gameday, wasn't fast to the ball, was really bad shedding blocks, etc. Granted, he got crappy play in front of him, but he never showed game speed, which is why I think Pettine went a different route.

In two years I can only think of one memorable (positive) play -- Shep hitting Vick up the middle, forcing a Wilson pick 6. That's just not enough from your starting MLB.

I call fraud! What'd you do with eball and where's his avatar??

1. This puts Anderson and his ridiculous contract on the bubble

2. Looks like a bust for bust, change of scenery/schemes move for both teams

3. We now have gaping hole at MLB. Dansby or Urlacher woudl be next great move.

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...

This is an odd one.

The Bills traded from their weakest position (granted for another LB). Put another way, another team just traded for one of the Bills' linebackers! That blows my mind.

What also makes it odd is that the Bills didn't address that inside spot in the draft, unless that's where they're gonna put Kiko? So now we've just created a post-draft roster hole. And I don't think this has anything to do with Dansby - Dansby's leverage just went UP. If this were about him, they would've signed him before making this trade.

Finally, didn't the Colts also trade for John McCargo (only to send him back when he failed his physical)? Why do they keep trading for our busts?

Again: this one is weird.

I can think of a few more, and I always thought he got an unfair rap, but I'm behind any defensive moves since I have no idea what Pettine will be running, and can't even begin to guess.

Glad we were able to flip our 3rd round prospect for a 1st round prospect. Moving forward.

1. This puts Anderson and his ridiculous contract on the bubble Not really, we just went from having 2 DE/OLBs to 3 DE/OLBs. Not exactly stocked.

2. Looks like a bust for bust, change of scenery/schemes move for both teams. True, and weird.

3. We now have gaping hole at MLB. Dansby or Urlacher woudl be next great move.

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...I'd say the same for anyone mentioning Urlacher :nana:

This is an odd one.

The Bills traded from their weakest position (granted for another LB). Put another way, another team just traded for one of the Bills' linebackers! That blows my mind.

What also makes it odd is that the Bills didn't address that inside spot in the draft, unless that's where they're gonna put Kiko? So now we've just created a post-draft roster hole. And I don't think this has anything to do with Dansby - Dansby's leverage just went UP. If this were about him, they would've signed him before making this trade.

Finally, didn't the Colts also trade for John McCargo (only to send him back when he failed his physical)? Why do they keep trading for our busts?

Again: this one is weird.

Kiko is going to play inside from all I have seen, yes. Although part of his appeal is that he can play everywhere, in either a 4-3 or 3-4. I have to believe there is a plan and it includes Dansby or another ILB. I would imagine that when the coaches met post draft and looked at the roster, they just came to the conclusion about certain things.

Players' success has so much to with scheme, this has the potential to be a win-win for both Indy and the Bills. As others have said, I love the proactivity. 48 hours out of the draft, and they're still tinkering.

Shep was Gaileys guy, he fell in love with him when he coached the Senior Bowl because of his leadership skills. $@!& leadership and get a MLB that can shed blocks and tackle. Shep was the perfect example of weighing character over physical skills.