Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

This pick seems like it's about EJ Manuel being the QB. EJ is very good at the deep ball. Now we have some burners who can spread a defense thin. If the underneath stuff ain't there, go over 'em. When those don't work, you know we can pound the rock. I also see some misdirection stuff like a reverse with these speedsters.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like in Texas he ran a lot of reverses/end-arounds according to his highlight video. Something our offense didn't really have with Chan. Might be what Marrone was looking at, somebody that could go from one end of the field to the other quickly. Yeah I guess T.J. is pretty much the same thing, just pure speculation from his highlight video.

Seems like more of a luxury pick to me, I would have rather had.... pretty much anybody else. TE, S, CB, DE, OT, OG, etc, etc

I stopped reading this when I saw this:

Goodwin had a fantastic day on Wednesday and compared him to another underutilized player from the 2011 draft who shot up draft boards and had a strong rookie season in Bills wide receiver TJ Graham.

I'm not getting the Alonso pick when Warford was there, but I do like the Goodwin pick. Kid is Austin good if coached up.

Maybe because we needed another LB?? I'm not getting why people don't think we need Lbs. we had the worst LB core ever last year. We added Lawson. He fits perfectly as a 3-4 MLb. Line him up next to Bradham. Shepp is weak sauce.

This pick is absolutely atrocious. I actually like that they were taking another WR, just not this one. If you noticed too, the WRs that were flying off the board around Goodwin were still all accomplished and were getting praise. We took the head scratcher.

I liked everything up to this.

Apparently Goodwin has the 2nd fastest 40 time ever, only behind Chris Johnson. Something to chew on, folks.

Despite this pick, I still think the Bills should grab a late round WR like Alec Lemon, or if we get lucky, Swope or Rogers (pipe dream)

The Goodwin comparisons to Austin are a little asinine at this point. Goodwin has tremendous upside, but he also needs serious refinement of his skills

OK...we have a good 4x400 team now.

I know right? Spiller graham, Goodwin and mckelvin? Might actually be faster than half the worlds best 4x400 Olympic teams? I know thy could beak the Kazakhstan teams running backwards...

We only know one of them can play ball though....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Apparently Goodwin has the 2nd fastest 40 time ever, only behind Chris Johnson. Something to chew on, folks.

Despite this pick, I still think the Bills should grab a late round WR like Alec Lemon, or if we get lucky, Swope or Rogers (pipe dream)

The Goodwin comparisons to Austin are a little asinine at this point. Goodwin has tremendous upside, but he also needs serious refinement of his skills

Can you be specific? What skillz does he need to refine? I never saw anything in any tape that says he can't catch, run, and get open? All I saw was a lot less film that's mostly because Texas didn't know what to do. Kind of like Chan....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap1000000145123/article/tavon-austin-marquise-goodwin-revive-nfl-tweener-questions

What do scouts see? One who works the Big 12 told me Sunday he feels that, though Austin's short-area quickness and instincts make him a better prospect, the biggest difference between the two might be that the coaches at West Virginia found a way to capitalize on Austin's rare ability while the coaches at Texas simply couldn't do the same with Goodwin.

The bills scouts really need to stop talking to the media .

But in all seriousness, there is potential with this pick. Sucks we were so close to allen with that pick

Redundant. We needed a tall basketball player type receiver that can go up and get the ball. Don't like this pick

I hate when people demand a set of receivers to fit exact roles. One possession, one speed, one tall guy, one kick returner.... We can have two really fast guys. We can live without a 6'6 guy. Get the most talented guys

http://www.dailytexa...st-second-round

"Goodwin is the kind of player that changes games. In his last one with the Longhorns, he took a reverse 64 yards for a touchdown on the first snap of the second quarter after Texas hadn’t gotten a first down for the entire first quarter."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130419/2013-nfl-draft-marquise-goodwin/

"In his four seasons in Austin, Goodwin had 120 receptions for 1,364 yards, coming mostly on deep routes across the field or bubble screens to the outside.

To put that in perspective, Tavon Austin, the second-fastest wideout at the combine and the likely first receiver off the board, caught 114 balls for 1,289 yards in 2012 alone. Austin and Goodwin have similar builds and explosiveness, but it's these statistics that separate them as prospects in the eyes of NFL personnel.

However, the Olympian attributes the huge numbers gap to one thing. Opportunity.

"If I had 1,000 yards or even three extra touchdowns nobody would even question if I was a football player," Goodwin said. "If I got as many balls as Tavon Austin no one would even question if Marquise Goodwin is a top pick in the draft."

http://www.nflrush.com/video/5193

"that was a 4.25....."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/24/nfl-combine-wide-receivers-workout-marquise-goodwin-creates-buzz/1943727/

Risers

Marquise Goodwin, Texas:
Goodwin was outstanding from start to finish, and the speedy receiver is causing excitement. He was the fastest receiver on the field, clocking an official time of 4.27 seconds. His speed was evident during drills, too: He consistently outran passes delivered by the strongest-armed quarterbacks. Proving to be more than a straight-line sprinter, he ran terrific routes and caught the ball well in the short field. Goodwin continues to build on the momentum he started at the Senior Bowl last month and further elevated his draft grade with his combine performance.

http://www.star-tele...-has-speed.html

I felt really good about Marquise,” Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “We all know what type of explosive athlete he is and how fast he is.

“But I think just getting a chance to know him a little bit and really watching him as a route runner, I was really impressed with him as a route runner. That’s one of the things you don’t always think about with those guys who are really, really fast — just how precise they run a route. I think he’s got a good foundation for moving forward in the NFL.”

http://sportsblogs.s...ay-showing.html

"Because he has never concentrated solely on football because of his track commitments, Goodwin says he will only get better in NFL when he is focused on football year round."

Edited by Lurker

I hate when people demand a set of receivers to fit exact roles. One possession, one speed, one tall guy, one kick returner.... We can have two really fast guys. We can live without a 6'6 guy. Get the most talented guys

Yep- look at Cruz/Nicks

Can you be specific? What skillz does he need to refine? I never saw anything in any tape that says he can't catch, run, and get open?

Sure. I watched some videos and came away with the same impression as you. I just meant that Austin has more production and more game time experience than Goodwin. So naturally some aspects of his game will be a bit raw, but with some playing time should improve.

I don't have anything in terms of specifics yet because I really hadn't thoroughly gone through his tape, tbh.

This pick seems like it's about EJ Manuel being the QB. EJ is very good at the deep ball. Now we have some burners who can spread a defense thin. If the underneath stuff ain't there, go over 'em. When those don't work, you know we can pound the rock. I also see some misdirection stuff like a reverse with these speedsters.

Stretch the field and give cj space underneath.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. beating the Patriots twice in one season would be a huge accomplishment! When Lindell kicked that field goal to beat the Pats two years ago, it was as close as we've come to the same feeling as winning the SB as we've had in 13 years! :)

I think we will be able to beat them now! If Marrone will use C.J right!!

http://www.dailytexa...st-second-round

"Goodwin is the kind of player that changes games. In his last one with the Longhorns, he took a reverse 64 yards for a touchdown on the first snap of the second quarter after Texas hadn’t gotten a first down for the entire first quarter."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130419/2013-nfl-draft-marquise-goodwin/

"In his four seasons in Austin, Goodwin had 120 receptions for 1,364 yards, coming mostly on deep routes across the field or bubble screens to the outside.

To put that in perspective, Tavon Austin, the second-fastest wideout at the combine and the likely first receiver off the board, caught 114 balls for 1,289 yards in 2012 alone. Austin and Goodwin have similar builds and explosiveness, but it's these statistics that separate them as prospects in the eyes of NFL personnel.

However, the Olympian attributes the huge numbers gap to one thing. Opportunity.

"If I had 1,000 yards or even three extra touchdowns nobody would even question if I was a football player," Goodwin said. "If I got as many balls as Tavon Austin no one would even question if Marquise Goodwin is a top pick in the draft."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/24/nfl-combine-wide-receivers-workout-marquise-goodwin-creates-buzz/1943727/

Risers

Marquise Goodwin, Texas:
Goodwin was outstanding from start to finish, and the speedy receiver is causing excitement. He was the fastest receiver on the field, clocking an official time of 4.27 seconds. His speed was evident during drills, too: He consistently outran passes delivered by the strongest-armed quarterbacks. Proving to be more than a straight-line sprinter, he ran terrific routes and caught the ball well in the short field. Goodwin continues to build on the momentum he started at the Senior Bowl last month and further elevated his draft grade with his combine performance.

And TJ Graham had 99 catches for 1453 yards in four years at NC State, and it really kind of seems like he sucks. Of course, he still has time, but he showed absolutely ZERO last year. Not even a glimpse. Now, we have another one. Oh goody. The pick is horrible. The Bills don't have the luxury of hoping in their situation.

As a side note, I was enjoying our draft to this point, so I'm not hating on the whole thing. Again, I just think this pick is horrible.

Edited by Lv-Bills