Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's supper well proportioned. A lot more developed in the upper body than TJ Graham (who's lower-body centric, IMO).

Goodwin:

http://leftonbase.co...iated-Press.jpg

http://ww4.hdnux.com...3/4/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com...8/3/628x471.jpg

Graham:

http://blogs.buffalo...aa9d6970d-320wi

http://www.alumniblo...rontuniform.jpg

I'm rooting hard for the kid and think Hackett and Marrone will be a lot more creative than Chan would've been in using this kind of skill set...

The 'simulcast' is really cool (looks like Goodwin won to me!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96Oocok21s

Ironically Austin beat Goodwin in the bench press by one rep, 14 to 13. They're pretty close in the 40 although purely from an overall athletic standpoint, Goodwin wins the tale of the tape.

http://footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/wr.html

In spite of being 9 pounds heavier, Goodwin had a 42 inch vertical jump at his pro day compared to 32 inches for Austin and Goodwin's broad jump was 11 feet to Austin's 10 feet.

Those are big differences in the "explosives" measurements.

Ironically Austin beat Goodwin in the bench press by one rep, 14 to 13. They're pretty close in the 40 although purely from an overall athletic standpoint, Goodwin wins the tale of the tape.

http://footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/wr.html

In spite of being 9 pounds heavier, Goodwin had a 42 inch vertical jump at his pro day compared to 32 inches for Austin and Goodwin's broad jump was 11 feet to Austin's 10 feet.

Those are big differences in the "explosives" measurements.

hes just a better athlete all around.

hes just a better athlete all around.

I don't want to draw the ire of the "realists" but I agree.

I got excited about Austin about two days before the draft but after watching his video, I have grave doubts about how his game will translate to the NFL.

Goodwin on the other hand seems stronger, more explosive, faster… he has a thicker body…

The thing I haven't seen talked about around here is the circumstances in Austin surrounding the Longhorns offense.

Mack Brown, though he has an offensive pedigree is considered a great recruiter but not a great X's and O's coach.

From what I've been told by someone out here, the Longhorns offensive coordinator for the last two seasons, Bryan Harsin ran a much more run-based offense over the last two years than what Texas had run previously. Regardless, Goodwin was only 3rd on the team in receptions though when you add his rushes and his kick returns he had nearly the same number of touches as the other two wideouts who had more receptions.

It would be great if someone familiar with the Texas program could shed some light on why Goodwin wasn't thrown to more often.

Ironically Austin beat Goodwin in the bench press by one rep, 14 to 13.

Goodwin's 13 reps were one less than Woods and were three more than Da'Rick Rogers... for comparison, TJ Graham did 8 reps at the 2012 combine and had a 33.5" vertical.

The one worrisome measuable to Goodwin (and it's a big one) is hand size...8.625" for Goodwin vs. 9.125" for Austin (and 9" for Graham).

Goodwin's 13 reps were one less than Woods and were three more than Da'Rick Rogers... for comparison, TJ Graham did 8 reps at the 2012 combine and had a 33.5" vertical.

The one worrisome measuable to Goodwin (and it's a big one) is hand size...8.625" for Goodwin vs. 9.125" for Austin (and 9" for Graham).

I wonder how significant one half-inch is catching the ball.

Just musing.

I don't want to draw the ire of the "realists" but I agree.

I got excited about Austin about two days before the draft but after watching his video, I have grave doubts about how his game will translate to the NFL.

Goodwin on the other hand seems stronger, more explosive, faster… he has a thicker body…

The thing I haven't seen talked about around here is the circumstances in Austin surrounding the Longhorns offense.

Mack Brown, though he has an offensive pedigree is considered a great recruiter but not a great X's and O's coach.

From what I've been told by someone out here, the Longhorns offensive coordinator for the last two seasons, Bryan Harsin ran a much more run-based offense over the last two years than what Texas had run previously. Regardless, Goodwin was only 3rd on the team in receptions though when you add his rushes and his kick returns he had nearly the same number of touches as the other two wideouts who had more receptions.

It would be great if someone familiar with the Texas program could shed some light on why Goodwin wasn't thrown to more often.

The past two years, the Horn's have been primarily a power running team. The reason for that is that since Colt McCoy left, the QB play has been pretty mediocre at best. Plus, Goodwin was running track in the spring every year, which no doubt had an affect on his touches in the fall.

But of course, if you're a realist, then the fact that he only had 30 some touches this past season definitely means he can't catch the ball, nor can he run with it, and he is just a gadget guy. His lack of touches couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with the nature of the team's offense, the ability of the OC to utilize him, or the ability of the QB to get him the ball. :rolleyes:

It's a long video but very interesting. Senior Bowl practices with just DBs covering WRS. No one can touch Goodwin.

Some guy put together the times of the plays they show him. Good stuff.

1:20 - Goodwin slant to out, beats Dwane Gratz

2:40 - Duke Williams somewhat misses a press on Aaron Dobson, is catching up to an underthrown ball but interferes without looking back, PI hammered on by Davis and Mayock

3:30 - Goodwin blows by Blidi Wreh-Wilson - underthrown by Nassib

5:27 - Jamar Taylor is way off, Goodwin catches a wide open slant and then cuts outside for the TD

8:15 - Goodwin gets beat by jordan poyer on an intermediate comeback route

8:30 - Goodwin looks open towards the sideline in 2 on 2 but pass goes to the other player

12:40 - Goodwin blows by Duke Williams (ruh-oh) on an almost mirror play to 3:30, pass is on target, TD

15:05 - Duke Williams redeems himself with blanket coverage on Aaron Mellette on a comeback

15:30 - back to goodwin, 5 yard in catch, tackled immediately by Wreh-Wilson

18:25 - Goodwin beats Wreh-Wilson again on a 10 yard hook, little shake and bake at the line to beat the press and quick feat to turn and creat separation

Switch to south team, no more Goodwin or Williams. Goodwin killed both Connecticut corners and Jamar Taylor, all three were drafted before him. If you are going off of this video they should not have been. Duke Williams had a rough day, but he is a S trying to cover 1:1.

It's a long video but very interesting. Senior Bowl practices with just DBs covering WRS. No one can touch Goodwin.

2:40 - Duke Williams somewhat misses a press on Aaron Dobson, is catching up to an underthrown ball but interferes without looking back, PI hammered on by Davis and Mayock

5:27 - Jamar Taylor is way off, Goodwin catches a wide open slant and then cuts outside for the TD

8:30 - Goodwin looks open towards the sideline in 2 on 2 but pass goes to the other player

12:40 - Goodwin blows by Duke Williams (ruh-oh) on an almost mirror play to 3:30, pass is on target, TD

15:05 - Duke Williams redeems himself with blanket coverage on Aaron Mellette on a comeback

18:25 - Goodwin beats Wreh-Wilson again on a 10 yard hook, little shake and bake at the line to beat the press and quick feat to turn and creat separation

Switch to south team, no more Goodwin or Williams. Goodwin killed both Connecticut corners and Jamar Taylor, all three were drafted before him. If you are going off of this video they should not have been. Duke Williams had a rough day, but he is a S trying to cover 1:1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSY1bHhuViY

Goodwin looks fast. Real fast. That go route he just blew by Wreh-Wilson.

Thanks for posting. Goodwin looked a helluva lot better than I thought he would. Seemed to get in and out of his breaks better than I thought he would. That speed is something special.

Seems like a Graham clone, why bother?

For one, Graham can't catch, so I see this as somewhat of an indictment of Graham. I believe they think Goodwin is a significant upgrade over Graham for the slot position. He is ridiculously fast (4.27 40), has better hands than Graham, and is a better route runner. Plus he actually produced in college, unlike Graham.

Secondly, I think the Bills for whatever reason still envision Graham as a wide out instead of a slot WR. So in that regard they may see them as two completely different types of players.

Kiper didn't like Goodwin, but I'm personally very happy with the pick. This guy belonged in the 3rd round, unlike Graham.

Between Woods (not a burner, but plenty fast), Goodwin, and Gragg the Bills added a ton of speed to the offense, and we already have CJ.

Now we just have to pray EJ can actually get it to them.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Secondly, I think the Bills for whatever reason still envision Graham as a wide out instead of a slot WR. So in that regard they may see them as two completely different types of players.

I think this is right. Graham, despite his struggles as a rookie, showed a consistent ability to get open downfield -- we just didn't have anyone to get it to him. By all accounts he had a great minicamp, which I'd interpret as an indication he wasn't dropping everything thrown at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSY1bHhuViY

I was down on this pick early on, but looking at that video, if you don't get a good jam on him at the line, you could be in trouble.

I was down on this pick early on, but looking at that video, if you don't get a good jam on him at the line, you could be in trouble.

Especially now that our QB can throw the ball down the field. Air it out baby. Air it out!