Did we just piss of the media by duping them so badly?

Virgil

I could be overthinking this, but I look at how much info was out there from every sports outlet about how we were going to take Nassib or Barkley, whichever was available after we tried to trade down. I mean, these guys were talking like it was a done deal.

Then, when we took Manuel, it looked like more than shock. I looked like anger. McShay looked the most pissed like we just absolutely set him up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bills played this brilliantly. But I just can't remember seeing such backlash.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

we took a guy many had rated as the 3rd or 4th (or lower) qb as the first qb off the board. i dont think it was anything more than (in most cases) fair discussion.... we got our guy, we can be happy but if our evaluations were that different its fair for others to question it.

I could be overthinking this, but I look at how much info was out there from every sports outlet about how we were going to take Nassib or Barkley, whichever was available after we tried to trade down. I mean, these guys were talking like it was a done deal.

Then, when we took Manuel, it looked like more than shock. I looked like anger. McShay looked the most pissed like we just absolutely set him up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bills played this brilliantly. But I just can't remember seeing such backlash.

I still believe that it's in part due to sheer laziness on the national media's part. There seemed to be some rumblings from the local guys that Barkley and Manuel could be in play but I think most of the national guys just assumed that Marrone would take his QB. When I saw Kiper on ESPN on like Monday saying that Ryan Nassib was the most overvalued guy in the draft because he assumed that we would take him at #8 I wondered how much homework these guys were really doing.

Oh I love the pick and the attention we are getting today. And I also believe that these guys are wrong 90% of the time. It's just the conviction that they spoke with before the draft about Nassib, Barkley, or how Austin was at the top of our board.

I think we told them stuff, making them believe it was in confidence to make them look better for their job, and then absolutely crushed them

When the so-called "draftniks" like McShay and Mortenson don't like something, I tend to think the opposite.

Few of these "experts" have ever held a position of accountability and they get irrationally upset when teams crap all over their "boards."

Here's a sampling of what the "experts" said a few years ago about a certain QB ..."JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Todd McShay "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

These dudes have little credibility.

It's funny, many of the talking heads listed Manuel as a 1st rounder, and even entertained the possibility that he'd be the first QB off the board. Then when the draft begins, it's like they revert to the boilerplate magazine rankings and act "shocked" when the draft doesn't follow said rankings. Again, I was pushing for Barkley, but with the trade and grabbing my 2nd rated QB, I'm reasonably pleased.

Edited by NickelCity

Dude, the Bills always make the right decisions. It doesn't matter if everyone on the planet who's not blinded by there fandom thinks this pick was an enormous reach, THE BILLS GOT IT RIGHT! :lol:

No one in the media is pissed. They just can't believe how incredibly dumb the Bills FO is year after year.

I don't think it surprised many of them. Earlier in the day Thursday McShay even brought up the fact that the Bills were considering Manuel at eight. I think they seem pissed to you because they clearly don't think he's the top quarterback prospect. They're a bit dumbfounded, it seems.

the "experts" looked like "rookies" yesterday...

it is their job to analyze, inform, and predict to sports fans exactly where players will land.

when they get it right, the gain credibility. when they get it wrong, they look like morons.

who controls were players land? the teams. not the "experts". fact is, no matter how you break it down, EJ Manuel is the #1 QB from this years class. why? because he was picked #1, and was even the only QB taken in round one. any "expert" who has him ranked anywhere else but #1, is no expert.

I'm so glad someone started this thread.. because I couldnt possibly agree anymore... They all make their mock drafts based on every team having 0 players.

We as fans only have their mocks to really go on for "value" and you can just see it in their faces when things don't to according to plan.. ya know their "not hired by an nfl franchise to scout" plan

I'm sure you all remember the rumor that one team gave Nassib an UDFA grade... awesome, that team was probably the Colts who don't need a QB.