Did we just piss of the media by duping them so badly?

Virgil

I am delighted with this pick. I didn't get to hear much immediate reaction (I was at work), but when I got home around midnight, and turned on ESPN, the NFL Network, and listened to the radio on the way home, I was pretty surprised by the universal condemnation all the heads had for the Bills pick. McShay was just rediculous.

It was so funny though, because nearly every one of them precluded their criticism with "I love EJ Manuel, but...." "Nothig against EJ Manuel but..." It was crazy. My own uninfluenced feeling about the pick was excitement. I wasn't really sold on Ryan Nassib, but it jsut seemed like 8 out of 10 analysts seemed confident the Nassib was our guy.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a sampling of what the "experts" said a few years ago about a certain QB ..."JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Todd McShay "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

These dudes have little credibility.

I had a field pass for an LSU/ASU game in Russell's senior season. I have seen hundreds of games live and thousands of games on TV. That was probably the single most impressive game I have ever seen a player play. I thought that guy was going to be a tremendous pro. He was absolutely incredible to watch in person, running, throwing short and deep, making great plays and engineering great drives, throwing touchdowns, two minute drill, late game heroics, everything. A lot of people in hindsight say you should have known he was never going to be a great pro, but I think that was mostly nonsense. He screwed it up, for sure. But he could have been great.

The guys though Marcus Russel would be a top 5 QB in the league are dumbfounded? OH NO!

WHO HAS THE PANIC PITCHFORKS?!

I have a couple in the shed. let me know and i can dust them off. One of those things i dont use often but cant bring myself to toss them out. Just in case

I don't think it surprised many of them. Earlier in the day Thursday McShay even brought up the fact that the Bills were considering Manuel at eight. I think they seem pissed to you because they clearly don't think he's the top quarterback prospect. They're a bit dumbfounded, it seems.

Everyone had a different opinion as to the top QB... a lot of them (not ESPN) had manuel at #2 or #3.. and always stating he had the highest upside of any QB. McShay and Kiper are just... not worth listening to.

I still believe that it's in part due to sheer laziness on the national media's part. There seemed to be some rumblings from the local guys that Barkley and Manuel could be in play but I think most of the national guys just assumed that Marrone would take his QB. When I saw Kiper on ESPN on like Monday saying that Ryan Nassib was the most overvalued guy in the draft because he assumed that we would take him at #8 I wondered how much homework these guys were really doing.

Agree 100% here!

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

That's about the size of it right there.

I had a field pass for an LSU/ASU game in Russell's senior season. I have seen hundreds of games live and thousands of games on TV. That was probably the single most impressive game I have ever seen a player play. I thought that guy was going to be a tremendous pro. He was absolutely incredible to watch in person, running, throwing short and deep, making great plays and engineering great drives, throwing touchdowns, two minute drill, late game heroics, everything. A lot of people in hindsight say you should have known he was never going to be a great pro, but I think that was mostly nonsense. He screwed it up, for sure. But he could have been great.

The thing is with scouts, and evaluating players, you can't always look into a players heart and see what their true ambition really is. With Russell it was getting paid and doing codeine.

OTOH EJ cried on the podium and stated he was so proud to be a Buffalo Bill. I think the Bills view him as a Cam Newton without the bad baggage. It will just take some time to develop this kid into a top pocket passer IMO

Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline lives in north Florida and watched every game EJ Manuel played at Fla St and he believes the Bills made a terrible mistake. Grade F.

How many in WNY have seen every game for this player? Isn't he allowed to have an opinion like all of you?

Everybody seems quick to point out the notable mistakes made by the draft pundits. (like McShay liking Maybin) but they have been correct far more often than they have been wrong over the years.

Now what makes everybody so confident that the Bills (perennial losers and AFC East doormats-just the facts) have suddenly become geniuses?

I've been a Bills fan from day 1, but until they prove they are winners, then you have to figure they will find a way to lose. If the moves they make bring a winner back to Buffalo, I will be the first one to congratulate them. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

Edited by Billsguy

I am delighted with this pick. I didn't get to hear much immediate reaction (I was at work), but when I got home around midnight, and turned on ESPN, the NFL Network, and listened to the radio on the way home, I was pretty surprised by the universal condemnation all the heads had for the Bills pick. McShay was just rediculous.

It was so funny though, because nearly every one of them precluded their criticism with "I love EJ Manuel, but...." "Nothig against EJ Manuel but..." It was crazy. My own uninfluenced feeling about the pick was excitement. I wasn't really sold on Ryan Nassib, but it jsut seemed like 8 out of 10 analysts seemed confident the Nassib was our guy.

The Bills FO decision to NOT pick Nassib actually gives me faith that Marrone knows what he wants and has a plan to get there. Edited by Best Player Available

The media is butt hurt over this draft in general. Not only did the blow it on Manuel but they had several other QBs rated higher and getting drafted in the 1st round. That is an epic whiff. Of course they will criticize the Bills rather than admit they get their "insider info" from their colons.

PTR

Here's a sampling of what the "experts" said a few years ago about a certain QB ..."JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Todd McShay "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

These dudes have little credibility.

I was torn between Geno and EJ, but when I heard McShay hated it, I knew we grabbed the right guy.

Dude, the Bills always make the right decisions. It doesn't matter if everyone on the planet who's not blinded by there fandom thinks this pick was an enormous reach, THE BILLS GOT IT RIGHT! :lol:

No one in the media is pissed. They just can't believe how incredibly dumb the Bills FO is year after year.

Dude, no offense, but the fact you have your signature set up the way you do (i.e., ridiculing fans who look to the bright side) says just about anything anyone needs to know about you.

Every day you get to choose whether to be optimistic or a complainer. Every day.

I agree with most of you. CBS' Prisco gave us an F for the first round, McShay said it was a wasted pick. Still others said we certainly did our homework, travelling around the country visiting the QB's and also bringing them into Buffalo too.

It's really amusing. I have always felt that if a team departs too far from what the mocksters project, you get their ire.

I'm really intrigued by Manuel. 66% completion rate! Over 70% when he leaves the pocket! That's much better than Fitz who failed to get it there half the time. Some say they question his accuracy (vs 66-70%?). Some say he fails to go through all his progressions - goes from 1 to 2 to dump-off underneath. I think that it may be a question of protection and even if true, if you hit on 66-70% of your passes, you ARE MOVING DOWN THE FIELD.

He'll definitely need more coaching, but isn't that why they brought in Kolb and kept Jackson? Bills are getting far too little credit here. I actually like how they've solidified the QB position when there wasn't much available this year. Don't forget, they also picked up the 46th pick (and a 7th rounder). So from the 8th overall pick, we get the 16th, 46th and 222nd picks - nice job by Nix & Co. Heck, even Jerry Sullivan gave them credit for this.

And that, folks, is the prefect job description of an "NFL Analyst". They make their guesses, and since the companies they work for are all now 24/7-type news agencies, they have to assert and re-assert their opinions over and over until they think they are fact. Some even get extra tricky and do different versions of mock drafts just so they can CYA.

Then when the draft actually happens and we get some reality, instead of just saying "Well, I was just guessing, the draft is crazy!", they cry like babies, badmouth players and GMs, and even have the gall to "grade" the draft for each team. What some people fail to realize is that the grading scale is based against their guesses, not against how well the players actually are/will be.

It's like me standing on the sidewalk and telling a bunch of people "The next car that drives by will be GREEN!" And then when a Red car drives by instead I say, "I give that car an F on it's paint job. Stupid owner got it wrong."

I love that we USED the media to get our guy. I love that through the entire PC last night, Marrone had a palpable hatred for the media. The Bills cant win in the eyes of the media (and some fans) so why worry about it. Use them to get what you want. Well played.

Nice posts.

Personally, I like the pick and love what the Bills did in the 1st Round...would've loved maybe another trade down in that round but there is no way of knowing if there was a willing trade partner or if somebody else would've tried to trade in ahead of the Bills to get Manuel. I get that people may not like taking Manuel and that's fine. He may or may not work out. Nobody knows at this point. But for the life of me, what I don't get, is how some of these so called "experts" can possibly list the Bills as one of the 1st Round "losers". How can a team that most said needed to draft a QB early and had only 6 picks, pick a QB - the first QB off the board, mind you, meaning that they got THEIR best graded guy - after trading down and acquiring an extra 2nd Round pick AND an extra 7th Round pick be one of the "losers"??! They took the first QB and ended up with more picks entering today than they had entering yesterday. There is no way that makes them a "loser" just because those analysts disagree with their choice of QB. A perfect example of a complete waste of oxygen is "Me"shawn Johnson. He was on 'NFL Live' today and listed the Bills as his 1st Round "loser" because, as he put it, "Doug Marrone had Nassib there and passed on him for Manuel." Um...WTF?? Shouldn't that tell him something if Marrone was down with taking Manuel? And, of course, his 1st Round "winner"...you guessed it...the NJ Jest. lol Sheldon Richardson? Really? That's who you got in exchange for Darrelle Revis?? They drafted a cheaper but unproven alternative for Revis in Milliner at 9 and then with the Revis pick at 13 took Richardson. Brilliant. The only thing dumber than stuff like this is the "experts" who assign grades. Round 1 grades...lol. Again, 'F' or 'F-'? Bitter much, Prisco? Whether an 'A' or an 'F' it's pure speculation and complete ass-hattery.

The real test? IF the Browns, Jags, Eagles draft QBs. Or if, as i just heard on WGR, the Jets move up and draft a QB?

Then it's F you media. The Bills made the best possible move they could have.

You don't trade down to 22-32 so that one of those teams can trade up ahead of you and take your guy. If he's your guy, you don't tolerate even the slightest chance of that happening.

The other part? Why the hell would you draft a non-QB at 8, and then what? You are now behind 3-4 teams that ALL need QB. Now, you have to give up more than they do, to trade back up into the first.

Competing with teams in a seller's market, when they have a competitive advantage of position?

That's F'ing retarded.

Competing against nobody, getting your #1 guy, and picking up 2 extra picks in the process?

That's expert skill.

The media? I sincerely doubt that they've thought this through, properly.

So, let's see what happens.

Edited by OCinBuffalo