Did we just piss of the media by duping them so badly?

Virgil

Everybody seems quick to point out the notable mistakes made by the draft pundits. (like McShay liking Maybin) but they have been correct far more often than they have been wrong over the years.

You have numbers to back this up or just feeling lucky?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

the scouting reports i read before Marrone was hired was Nassib MIGHT have the ability to be a quality back up. 3rd round if he is luck 4th round talent. Pat Kirwan, former GM doesn't think Nassib will last as a backup. Then suddenly, Marrone is named HC of the Bills a QB needy team. When asked about Nassib by the media, he spoke positively of him...then suddenly Nassib is projected as a possibility at 8, then he becomes maybe the 2nd best QB on the board, because one team might take him there.

Not defending the pick (although Manuel's upside is really exciting), but to stay that the Marrone hire didn't increase Nassib's stock immensely amongst the talking heads would be incorrect.

I really do not get this thread. It was great that the Bills picked up another second round pick in a draft in which the top 15 was considered weak compared to previous years. It also is a good sign that the pick by the Bills was not telegraphed. Maybe the front office learned something after the emabarassment of the taping of Buddy's call with the Tampa Bay GM.

As to the pick itself, who knows if EJ will become a quality QB. The experts who did not like the pick will only be embarassed if EJ actually develops. If they are upset because the Bills were giving misinformation as to who they were interested in, that is just plain stupid. Every team does this prior to the draft.

What I don't understand is why people are so angry with the experts. Many of them don't like the pick, and their grades are some of the worst I can remember for a first round pick by the Bills. The front office and EJ need to prove them wrong. I have no confidence in this front office, so I have my doubts. Maybe it is appropriate to ignore guys like McShay, but I did not like the reaction to the pick by Polian and others who have significant experience in the NFL assessing talent.

I just got home and haven't read all the topics, much less all the posts so some form of my post has already been stated.

McShay clearly was irate.

Anyone watching Adam Shefter knows that he knew who the Bills pick was going to be.

The Bills were very successful in confusing the so-called experts. Nassib was strongly linked to the Bills as was Matt Barkley.

Then two days ago it was reported widely that Tavon Austin was the top player on the Bills board and he appeared in a few mock drafts as the Bills pick.

The Bills were successful in fooling the "experts" and I believe that there is resentment on McShay's part that he was misled while Shefter was given the goods.

On a tangent, I believe that Shefter's trustworthiness and credibility as a well-established newspaper reporter allows teams to trust him with certain information.

On the other hand, I believe that NFL front offices generally have no respect for McShay based on his complete lack of football knowledge and his annoying and empty "know-it-all" facade.

Shefter's solid, smiling good-humored temperament is a result of his success and standing in his profession.

McShay's spoiled kid temperament is a result of the lack of respect for his work among NFL people and informed fans.