Who will be our starting QB on opening day?

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our starting QB on opening day at the Ralph?

• E. J. Manuel
    • Kevin Kolb
    • Travaris Jackson
    • Aaron Corp

I suspect Kolb will *start* on opening day. Manuel's biggest knock is that he needs coaching, and time to learn a new system. Kolb already has more time to practice the system and is more polished a passer so I think our man right now.

Who our starter is if, true to form, Kolb gets injured some time during the season? I have no doubt Manuel can learn.

With this pick, and not Nassib or Smith, I think that is a telling sign that Kolb will start most of if not all year. Although he probably has more of an upside then any QB in the draft, is might be least ready to start right away in the NFL. Only time will tell folks.

Listen. All indications are that the Bills wanted E.J. all along.

Praise Jeezus (see my sig).

So, everybody knows Kolb is not an NFL starting qb. So why sign him? Exactly for this reason.

We want E.J., who needs some seasoning. So lets bring in a journeyman who can start a few games while EJ gets ready.

Praise Jeezus.

I wonder if the success of rookie QBs last year alters the way Marrone looks at rookies.

I expect Kolb to start, but wouldn't be shocked to see Manuel under center against the Pats.

Curious that at this point Corp has more votes than TJax.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Kolb Starts. Bring Manuel in on some designed plays to give him some game expereince. If the season is done by Halloween, bring Manuel in for a waterdowned playbook and a run heavy offense to easy him into full game mode. If Kolb get hurt early, I a not sure... maybe TJax in an effort to not rusk the rook, but then again, if the season is shot as mentioned above what difference does it make?

Another good poll will be: Will the Bills draft another QB in the lower rounds now that they have an additional 7th Rounder.

The Bills don't have an "additonal" 7th round pick. The Bills 7th round pick was wasted last year for Tarvaris Jackson, so the one they obtained last night is the only one in that round that they have. Kinda irritated me how every time Buddy Nix spoke he talked about how they were at such a disadvantage because they only had 6 picks-well look in a mirror-you are the one who gave the pick away.

Personally, I think Kolb will start initially. Now if their record is 1-3 or 0-4 after 4 weeks and Kolb is sucking, I think we'll see Manuel. Not out of the gates though.

I'd really hate to see them bring in a rookie that needs to watch and practice in that situation. What would the upside there be for either Manuel or the team? At 0-4, they probably don't go 10-2 and make the playoffs. However, Manuel may get overwhelmed. In that situation, better to let the team start to develop and get a higher draft position next year. Then let Manuel play in 2014 with a restocked team. However, if the team is 5-5, and better QB play might make the difference, then I would favor giving him a try, but if he looks too shaky, I would pull him back out until next year.

My hope - not my prediction - is this:

2013: Kolb turns out to be as good as some other teams thought he was at one time. Not only that, he stays healthy. The Bills are productive with Kolb running Marrone/Hackett's QB. EJ learns from the sideline.

2014: Despite Kolb's success, EJ is looking so good in preseason that we have a real QB battle on our hands.

Here's my take on it. I think the Bills fully intend to have EJ ride the pine for most if not all of 2013 season. However (and I may be over thinking this), who is more suited to play like EJ would play? In my eyes, that would the Jackson. They could still run most of what they want to run with EJ with TJ. Though I think Kolb is the better QB, TJ would be able to run an offense that is suited for EJ and thus EJ can learn from Jackson and his triumphs and mistakes. Then when EJ is ready, he already know's what its going to look like.

I know this is not the approach most people are taking, but this would make sense. That's why I chose TJ to hold it down before EJ gets a shot.